Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Catalog Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font
CSULB Catalog Banner
Search the 2010-2011 Catalog

Baccalaureate and Graduate Degree Information

Baccalaureate Degree Information

Overhead view of CSULB Commencement

Additional Baccalaureate Degrees

A graduated student who wishes to pursue an additional baccalaureate degree may do so by completing a minimum of 30 units in residence after graduation, of which 24 units must be upper-division courses and 12 units must be in the major. (See the Catalog section on admissions for restrictions on the admission of candidates for a second baccalaureate degree.)

A senior, with advance approval of the Academic Appeals Committee, may earn a maximum of twelve units toward the additional degree while in residence for the first degree. Any courses to be applied to the additional degree must be specified and taken in addition to those needed to satisfy the requirements of the first degree.
Students applying for and accepted to a second baccalaureate degree program who have received their first baccalaureate degree or equivalent from an institution outside of the U.S. will be required to complete any deficiencies in the General Education pattern and will be evaluated for General Education on the same basis as undergraduates.

Enrollment of Seniors in Graduate Courses

Undergraduates may enroll in graduate courses only under the conditions specified below:

Graduate Credit Earned as a Senior

Graduate credit usually may not be earned in advance of the baccalaureate degree. Seniors may, however, be granted approval to earn a maximum of 12 units of course work in the 400 and 500 levels designated as acceptable for graduate credit and taken at this university towards their prospective graduate programs (based upon faculty recommendation, academic performance (in general a grade-point average of 3.0 (B) in the major), and promise of academic achievement in post-graduate study). Approval is subject to the following conditions: (a) the course work must be in addition to that required for the undergraduate major; and (b) the undergraduate student must have a “Petition to Earn Graduate Credit in the Senior Year” approved by the departmental graduate advisor and the department chair prior to enrollment. (PS-92-08)

In those areas in which graduate credit is for a credential only, the petition must be submitted to the appropriate department in the College of Education. Petitions submitted after completion of course(s) will not be approved.

Senior Enrollment in Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Credit

Under special conditions, seniors who have a 3.0 grade-point average or better in their major and who have adequate undergraduate preparation in the subject may enroll in up to 12 units in the 500-599 series to fulfill the elective requirements of the bachelor’s degree. The course work may not be applied to the units of 500-600 level course work required by the department or college for the master’s degree. The student must have a “Petition to Earn Credit Toward a Bachelor’s Degree for a 500-Level Course Taken in the Senior Year” approved by the instructor and department chair before registration in the class(es) is permitted. (PS 92-09)