Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Catalog Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font
CSULB Catalog Banner
Search the 2010-2011 Catalog

Admissions to CSULB


A CSULB hillside

Application Filing Periods

Terms in Applications Initial Filing

Terms in 2010-2011 Applications First Accepted Initial Filing Period
Fall 2010 October 1, 2009 Oct 1- Nov 30, 2009
Spring 2011 August 1, 2010 August 1-31, 2010

Filing Period Duration

Each non-impacted campus accepts applications until capacities are reached. Many campuses limit undergraduate admission in an enrollment category due to overall enrollment limits. Students applying after the initial filing period should consult the campus admissions office for current information. Similar information is conveniently available at

Application Acknowledgment

On-time applicants may expect to receive an acknowledgment from their first-choice campus within two to four weeks after filing the application. The notice may also include a request that applicants submit additional records necessary to evaluate academic qualifications. Applicants may be assured of admission if the evaluation of relevant qualifications indicates that applicants meet CSU admission requirements, and in the case of admission impaction, campus requirements for admission to an impacted program. An offer of admission is not transferable to another term or to another campus.

Undergraduate Requirement Deadlines

Prior to matriculation, students must complete, in a timely manner, admission requirements — including subject requirements, unit minimums, grade-point averages, final transcript and testing requirement. Refer to the Enrollment Services web site ( for current requirements.

Intrasystem and Intersystem Enrollment Programs

Upper-division students enrolled at any CSU campus will have access to courses at other CSU campuses on a space available basis unless those campuses or programs are impacted or admission to the desired program or admission categories are closed. This access is offered without students being required to be admitted formally to the host campus and sometimes without paying additional fees. Although courses taken on any CSU campus will transfer to the student’s home CSU campus as elective credit, students should consult their home campus academic advisors to determine how such courses may apply to their specific degree programs before enrolling at the host campus.

There are two programs for enrollment within the CSU and one for enrollment between CSU and the University of California or California Community Colleges. Additional information about these programs is available from Office of Enrollment Services.

CSU Concurrent Enrollment – matriculated students in good standing may enrollon a space available at both their home CSU campus and a host CSU campus during the same term. Credit earned at the host campus is reported at the student’s request to the home campus to be included on the student’s transcript at the home campus.

CSU Visitor Enrollment – matriculated students in good standing enrolled at one CSU campus may enroll on a space available basis at another CSU campus for one term. Credit earned at the host campus is reported at the student’s request to the home campus to be included on the student’s transcript at the home campus.

Intersystem Cross Enrollment – matriculated CSU, UC, or community college students may enroll on a space available basis for one course per term at another CSU, UC, or community college and request that a transcript of record be sent to the home campus.

Concurrent Enrollment Within the CSU

All CSULB students wishing to enroll concurrently at CSULB and one of the other 23 California State University campuses must request permission to do so from the Office of Enrollment Services. Concurrent enrollment within the California State University system is limited to students who have completed a minimum of 12 units at CSULB, have a minimum 2.0 grade-point average, are in good academic standing and have paid fees at CSULB for 12 units or more regardless of the total number of units earned at both campuses. No additional fees may be collected after the last day to add classes. Concurrent Enrollment is subject to space availability and registration priority policies at the host campus.

No graduate student may register concurrently at this and any other collegiate institution without advance permission. Permission may be given for concurrent enrollment at CSULB and other institutions if recommended by the department graduate advisor and approved by the Dean of the appropriate college. Forms for concurrent enrollment may be obtained from the college office. When such permission is granted, the academic load at CSULB must be reduced accordingly.

Visitor Enrollment Within the CSU

Students enrolled in any CSU campus may apply to transfer temporarily to another CSU campus in Visitor status, if they have (1) completed 12 units at the home campus, (2) have earned at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the home campus, (3) are in good academic standing at the home campus, and (4) are eligible to register under continuing status at the home campus. Approval for visitor enrollment is valid for one term only and is subject to the host campus policies including application deadlines, space availability, and registration priority. Details and Visitor Enrollment Applications are available at the Office of Enrollment Services. Students from other CSU campuses seeking visitor status at CSULB must also contact their home registration office for additional information.

Enrollment of Non-matriculated Students

Applicants not admissible at this time under any of the preceding categories could enroll in another institution, such as a community college, to prepare for admissibility at a future date. Non-matriculated students may be able to avail themselves of programs in the College of Continuing and Professional Education.

Open University (Adjunct Enrollment) — Through Open University, students who are NOT matriculated in CSULB may take regular university classes during spring or fall semesters for academic credit on a “space available” basis with permission of the department chair and the course instructor. Open University enrollment does NOT constitute admission to CSULB. For more information call the College of Continuing and Professional Education at (562) 985-5561.

Summer Session and Winter Session Students

Summer and Winter Session enrollment is open to all matriculated CSULB students and all non-matriculated students such as prospective students, students from other colleges and universities, and interested individuals from the community. No application or admissions process is required for summer and winter registration.

CSULB does not admit matriculated students to start in either the winter or summer session. Registration in winter or summer as a non-matriculated student does not insure the privilege of enrolling in the fall or spring semester as a matriculated student. To register for winter or summer session courses, student should contact the College of Continuing and Professional Education at (562) 985-5561.