Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Catalog Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Communicative Disorders

College of Health and Human Services

A CSULB Student works on the grass

Communicative Disorders - Graduate Programs

Master of Arts in Communicative Disorders (code CD__MA01)

Admission to the Graduate Program

Enrollment in 500/600 level courses in communicative disorders is restricted to students who have been accepted to the graduate program of the department as unconditionally classified students. Students wishing to be admitted must complete the following procedures:

  • 1. Students must meet the criteria for acceptance by the University as a graduate student;
  • 2. Every student (new or continuing) must apply to the Office of Admissions and Records to obtain admission to the University with graduate standing;
  • 3. Every student then must apply to the Department of Communicative Disorders for admission to the graduate program using the department application form. This form must be filed with the graduate advisor by March 1 for admission in the subsequent fall semester. The following supportive materials must be filed with the department admission application:
    • A. Change of objective form available at department office (continuing CSULB students only);
    • B. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work. (These transcripts are in addition to those equired by the Office of Admissions and Records.) These transcripts should reflect the following minimum criteria:
      • (1) a GPA of 3.0 or better in the last 60 units of coursework; and
      • (2) confirmation of acceptable GPA obtained during the final senior semester.
    • C. One-page summary of relevant work, volunteer or research experience, with name and contact information for corroborating professional.
    • D. Submission of GRE scores

NOTE: Any course deficiencies will be determined by the department graduate committee after consultation with the student and the student's faculty advisor. Students applying to the graduate program in Communicative Disorders will have completed one of the two prerequisites listed in the next section prior to enrollment in graduate classes.


  1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a major in communicative disorders (speech and hearing science, etc.); or
  2. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a discipline other than Communicative Disorders. The applicant must have at least 33 units of course work in CD before applying for admission to the graduate program. If the student has not completed sufficient units or courses to meet this requirement, he/she may enroll in the University as a conditionally classified graduate student to complete the required undergraduate courses prior to applying to the Graduate Program in Communicative Disorders.

Although the student may apply to the Graduate Program with a minimum of 33 units in Speech-Language-Hearing, all courses required for the B.A. in Communicative Disorders at CSULB (with the exception of C D 431 and 432), or equivalent courses, must be completed before the M.A. in Communicative Disorders will be awarded.

Advancement to Candidacy

In order to be advanced to candidacy for a Master’s degree, a student must meet the following criteria:

  1. enrollment in the semester or summer session in which advancement takes place;
  2. satisfactory completion of C D 696 and three additional units;
  3. satisfactory fulfillment of the CSULB Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR). The GWAR must be fulfilled before the student is advanced to candidacy;
  4. maintenance of a GPA of at least 3.0 in (a) all graduate work completed in Communicative Disorders, (b) all graduate work completed at CSULB, and (c) all graduate work transferred to meet graduation requirements with no grade below "C";
  5. filing of the student Program for the Master of Arts Degree in Communicative Disorders after completion of items 2-5;
  6. the Department's standard written program of graduate courses approved by the student’s department advisor, the department graduate advisor, the department chairperson, and the College of Health and Human Services Associate Dean. (This form is known as the Advancement to Candidacy form.)


Forty-one (41) units of course work are required: C D 696, 662, 663, 665, 666, 667, 669A, 669B, 669C, 669F, 669G, 669J, 669L; C D 670 or C D 686A, and C D 698 or 695 (Comprehensive Examinations) plus a three-unit elective. Within the context of the C D 669L clinical course, the student will complete a minimum of 25 hours of clinical experience under appropriate supervision with a client determined to be of a language or dialect different from that of the student clinician. C D 483 and 489 and/or C D 460, or equivalent content, are prerequisite to C D 669L. Students who are bilingual and biliterate in English and another language may be eligible for clinical practice using their non-English language, within the CD 669L practicum.

Regulations governing the preparation and eligibility for the administration of comprehensive examination options are available in the Department Office. Departmental regulations concerning preparation of theses are also available in the office.