Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Catalog Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Baccalaureate and Graduate Degree Information

Graduate Degree Information

CSULB graduates at Commencement

Graduate Studies 700

Every semester, graduate students must be registered in a course or in GS 700 or must have an approved educational leave. Registration in GS 700 is restricted to graduate students who have completed all course work, have been advanced to candidacy, and have departmental approval. Registration in a course or in GS 700 also is required in winter or summer session if that is when a student plans to graduate. Although no unit credit is added to the student’s program or transcript, GS 700 is considered as one unit of concurrent enrollment credit for fee payment purposes, payable at the College of Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) located at 6300 State University Dr., Ste. 104. Application forms are available from CCPE and must be approved by department graduate advisors. Registration in GS 700 is CR/NC only.

Academic Load

Nine units per semester is a normal academic load for a full-time graduate student engaged in study toward a master’s degree. If a candidate wishes to exceed this limit, it should be discussed with the departmental graduate advisor. The maximum load for graduate students working toward a master’s degree is 16 units per semester. Students who are employed full-time should not exceed six units per semester.

Graduate students who wish to register for more than one unit of credit per week of attendance during the summer session must secure advance approval from the college associate dean or director of graduate studies. Petition forms and information may be obtained in the college offices.