Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Catalog Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Academic Information and Regulations

Academic Credit and Regulations

CSULB studentlooks for a book at the University Library

Withdrawal Policy

Students are held responsible for completion of every course in which they register OR FOR WITHDRAWING DURING THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF CLASSES FROM COURSES WHICH THEY DO NOT INTEND TO COMPLETE. Application for withdrawal from the University or from a class must be officially filed by the student at the Office of Enrollment Services whether the student has ever attended the class or not; otherwise, the student will receive a grade of “WU” (unauthorized withdrawal) in the course. Application for withdrawal is made at the Office of Enrollment Services.

Prior to withdrawing from classes, you should consider the consequences of this withdrawal action after the second week of the semester. This generally will impact your progress toward degree, possibly impact your future course enrollment (prerequisites) and financial aid eligibility. However, we understand that certain circumstances may necessitate the need for a change in class schedule at this time.

Be aware that after the second week of instruction, class withdrawals are permissible only for serious and compelling reasons. The definition of serious and compelling reasons as applied by faculty and administrators becomes more narrow as the semester progresses. Please be advised that poor academic performance or poor time management is not justification for withdrawing from classes. Although the grade of "W" is assigned during this time, it is not intended to be used as a mechanism to escape being awarded the grade you have earned. When withdrawal involves a documented, serious medical condition that requires withdrawal from all classes, the student must complete the Medical Withdrawal Process. Your physician must submit a statement confirming your serious illness or injury. Students who have any questions regarding their decision to with draw from a class should consult with their advisor as soon as possible.

Dropping classes during the first two weeks of instruction:

Students may drop during this period on MyCSULB and the course will not appear on their permanent records.

Withdrawal after the second week of instruction but prior to the final three weeks of instruction for fall/spring:

Withdrawals during this period is permissible only for serious and compelling reasons and require approval from the instructor and chairperson of the department of the class. The definition of "serious and compelling reasons" as applied by faculty and administrators will be defined more narrowly as the semester progresses. The grade of "W" is assigned during this time. Students must complete the "Petition to Withdraw from a Class(es)" form and submit to Enrollment Services as soon as possible but no later than the established deadline for that term.

Withdrawal during the final three weeks of instruction:

Withdrawals during the final three weeks of instruction are not permitted except for a very serious and compelling reason, such as accident or serious injury, that is clearly beyond the student’s control and the assignment of an Incomplete grade is impractical (see Requirements for Assigning an Incomplete Grade). In almost all cases, withdrawal in the last 3 weeks of classes will involve total withdrawal from all classes due to the serious nature of the circumstances, i.e., a documented, serious medical condition that requires withdrawal from all courses; the documented death of an immediate (not extended) family member; a call from reserve to active military service, etc. Usually, withdrawals in this category will involve total withdrawal from all classes due to the serious nature of the illness or injury and is accomplished by using the Medical Withdrawal Procedure.

If the basis for the request cannot be substantiated by medical documentation or is only a prtial withdrawal, the student should complete the "Petition to Withdraw from a Class(es)" including the Addendum. In the addition, the student must provide appropriate documentation to substantiate the request. Due to the unusual nature of these requests, approval for withdrawal from a course in the final 3 weeks not meeting the Medical Withdrawal criteria is required from the instructor, chairperson of the department of the class, the dean of the college in which the class is taught, and the Office of the provost. Instructors, department chairs and deans must consider the request carefully and approve withdrawal only for serious and compelling reasons beyond the student's control. Since petitions are only granted for extenuating circumstances, Enrollment Services will submit this petition to the Office of the Provost for a final decision.

Should the request not be approved, the student must initiate the incomplete process where applicable or complete the class. Students who unofficially withdraw will have a symbol of "WU" placed on their record for each course. The "WU" is treated as an "F" for GPA calculation.

Instructor Withdrawal

Faculty members may drop students who fail to attend class during the first week of the semester. However, students should not presume that they will be dropped by the faculty member. Students who have registered for a class, but never attended, should verify whether or not they are officially enrolled. It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw officially from the class.

An instructor may also withdraw a student who has enrolled in a course requiring “permission of the instructor” or completion of prerequisites if the student has not properly secured this permission or satisfactorily completed the prerequisites before enrolling. (PS 02-02)

Medical Withdrawal

Complete Medical Withdrawal

The University may allow a student to withdraw without academic penalty from all classes if the following criteria are met:

  • A. A completed Medical Withdrawal Form, including any required documentation, is submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services before the end of the semester, and
  • B. The student presents evidence to demonstrate that a severe medical or debilitating psychological condition prevented the student from attending and/or doing the required work of the courses to the extent that it was impossible to complete the courses.

The Provost (or designee) will review the evidence presented and, in consultation with appropriate medical or psychological professionals as needed, determine whether the request for a medical withdrawal should be granted.

Repeat Complete Medical Withdrawal: If the student has been granted a complete medical withdrawal in the immediately preceding term, then additional medical withdrawal requests must consider the question of whether or not the student can complete appropriate educational objectives, and must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. After a repeat medical withdrawal is granted, the student may be required to obtain a clearance from an appropriate medical or psychological professional that states the student is well enough to return to classes with the full expectation that the student will be able to complete the semester and intended educational objectives.

Partial Medical Withdrawal

Students seeking withdrawal from part of their enrollment for any reason, including medical or psychological reasons, are subject to the normal withdrawal policy and process.

Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal From Institution

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the university's official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available online at the Enrollment Services website.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid funds withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.

Refund of Student Fees

Regulations governing the refund of student fees in the California State University system are prescribed by the CSU Board of Trustees; see California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Education, Section 41802.