Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Catalog Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Academic Information and Regulations

Academic Credit and Regulations

USU Front Entrance

Withdrawal Policy

Students are held responsible for completion of every course in which they register OR FOR WITHDRAWING DURING THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF CLASSES FROM COURSES WHICH THEY DO NOT INTEND TO COMPLETE. Application for withdrawal from the University or from a class must be officially filed by the student at the Office of Enrollment Services whether the student has ever attended the class or not; otherwise, the student will receive a grade of "WU" (unauthorized withdrawal) in the course. Application for withdrawal is made at the Office of Enrollment Services.

Withdrawal during the first two weeks of instruction:

Students may withdraw during this period and the course will not appear on their permanent records.

Withdrawal after the second week of instruction and prior to the final three weeks of instruction:

Withdrawal during this period is permissible only for serious and compelling reasons. Approval signatures of the instructor and department chairperson are required. The request and approvals shall state the reasons for the withdrawal. Students should be aware that the definition of "serious and compelling reasons" as applied by faculty and administrators may become narrower as the semester progresses. Copies of such approvals are kept on file in the Office of Enrollment Services.

Withdrawal during the final three weeks of instruction:

Withdrawal during the final three weeks of instruction are not permitted except in cases such as accident or serious illness where the circumstances causing the withdrawal are clearly beyond the student's control and the assignment of an Incomplete is not practical. Ordinarily, withdrawal in this category will involve total withdrawal from the campus except that a Credit/No Credit grade or an Incomplete may be assigned for courses in which sufficient work has been completed to permit an evaluation to be made. Request for permission to withdraw under these circumstances must be made in writing on forms available in the Office of Enrollment Services. The requests and approvals shall state the reasons for the withdrawal. These requests must be approved by the instructor, Department Chairperson, and Dean of the College. Copies of such approvals are kept on file in the Office of Enrollment Services.

Instructor Withdrawal:

Faculty members may drop students who fail to attend class during the first week of the semester. However, students should not presume that they will be dropped by the faculty member. Students who have registered for a class, but never attended, should verify whether or not they are officially enrolled. It is the student's responsibility to withdraw officially from the class.

An instructor may also withdraw a student who has enrolled in a course requiring "permission of the instructor" or completion of prerequisites if the student has not properly secured this permission or satisfactorily completed the prerequisites before enrolling. (PS 02-02)

Medical Withdrawal

Complete Medical Withdrawal

The University may allow a student to withdraw without academic penalty from all classes if the following criteria are met:

A. A completed Medical Withdrawal Form, including any required documentation, is submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services before the end of the semester, and
B. The student presents evidence to demonstrate that a severe medical or debilitating psychological condition prevented the student from attending and/or doing the required work of the courses to the extent that it was impossible to complete the courses.

The Provost (or designee) will review the evidence presented and, in consultation with appropriate medical or psychological professionals as needed, determine whether the request for a medical withdrawal should be granted.
Repeat Complete Medical Withdrawal: If the student has been granted a complete medical withdrawal in the immediately preceding term, then additional medical withdrawal requests must consider the question of whether or not the student can complete appropriate educational objectives, and must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. After a repeat medical withdrawal is granted, the student may be required to obtain a clearance from an appropriate medical or psychological professional that states the student is well enough to return to classes with the full expectation that the student will be able to complete the semester and intended educational objectives.

Partial Medical Withdrawal

Students seeking withdrawal from part of their enrollment for any reason, including medical or psychological reasons, are subject to the normal withdrawal policy and process.

Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal From Institution

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the university's official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from the Office of Enrollment Services, Brotman Hall 123, 562-985-5471.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid funds withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.

Refund of Student Fees

Regulations governing the refund of student fees in the California State University system are prescribed by the CSU Board of Trustees; see California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Education, Section 41802.