Division ID
Skip links
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSmall fontMedium fontLarge font


Frequently Asked Questions

Students ask many of the following questions about the processes and rules of CSULB. Successful students know the answers to these frequently asked questions. Please read them carefully. Knowing these answers can help you avoid pitfalls during your first semesters on campus. For further information, see this section of the Catalog or contact the Academic Advising Center at (562) 985-4837.

1. Why is it critical that I check e-mail from CSULB? It is important to check your e-mail regularly since this is the primary means by which you will receive important information from the university (e.g., deadlines for adding and dropping classes, your registration appointment date).

2. How do I tell the university about a change in my e-mail address or mailing address? You can use MyCSULB to change your e-mail address, indicate the e-mail address that you prefer to use, or change your mailing address. Click on "Personal Profile" to view your current information and to make changes.

3. Why should I check my official class schedule at the beginning of each semester and again after two or three weeks? It is important to make sure that you are officially enrolled in every class you are attending, and not enrolled in any class you are not attending. Remember that an instructor can give you permission to add a class, but only you can officially enroll you in a class (or drop yourself from a class).

4. Why is it important that I personally drop classes that I have registered for but am no longer attending? Instructors do not have the responsibility to drop students. Students must drop classes they no longer want or never attended (using MyCSULB or IVR) up to and during the first two (2) weeks of the semester.
Beginning the third week, students must use the official withdrawal form to change their schedule. (See the section on Withdrawals for the rules that apply to withdrawal after the third week of classes.)  Official withdrawal is indicated on the transcript with the symbol “W.” This designation does not affect grade point average (GPA). Students who fail to withdraw officially within the established deadline receive a “WU” symbol (unauthorized withdrawal). In the calculation of the GPA, a “WU” is counted as an “F” grade.

5. Can freshmen/sophomore students take upper-division (300-499) classes? University policy prohibits lower-division students (under 30 units) from taking upper-division courses without permission of the instructor.

6. What can I do if I get a “D” or “F” or “WU” in a course? The University has a “repeat/delete” policy which allows undergraduates to repeat a course in which you earned a D, F, or WU. If the second grade is a C or better, the second grade will be used to calculate your GPA. Both grades remain on the transcript, but the first one is "deleted" from the GPA calculation. This can only be done once per course at CSULB. If you don't earn a C or better on the second try, all grades will be counted. For further details, refer to the "Repetion of Courses for Satisfactory Grade" in this section of the Catalog.

Academic Calendar

California State University, Long Beach operates on a semester system, which is supplemented by a state-supported summer term and a fee-supported winter session. Normally, fall semester classes begin in late August or early September. The last day of instruction usually comes midway in December; this allows for a week of final examinations prior to the winter recess, which begins about December 20. The spring semester usually begins in the last week of January and ends in mid-May, in time for a week of final examinations and the week of commencement exercises just before or after Memorial Day. The summer term, consisting of three overlapping six-week sessions, runs throughout June and July and into late August.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend classes regularly. Classroom attendance is often one of the most necessary and important means of learning and in many classes is essential to the educational objectives of the course.

Faculty members must include their guidelines for assigning grades in the syllabus (as required by Policy Statement 04-05, Course Syllabi). The syllabus must make clear whether any portion of the grade is based on attendance and/or participation. It is the students’ responsibility to make themselves aware of each faculty member’s guidelines by carefully reading the syllabus.

Faculty members may drop students who fail to attend class during the first week of the semester. Students, however, should not presume that they will be dropped by the faculty member. Students who have registered for a class, but never attended, should verify whether or not they are officially enrolled. It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw officially from the class.

Students may have a valid reason to miss a class. When any of the following reasons directly conflict with class meeting times, students are responsible for informing faculty members of the reason for the absence and for arranging to make up missed assignments, tests, quizzes, and class work insofar as this is possible. Excused absences include, but are not limited to:

1. Illness or injury to the student
2. Death, injury, or serious illness of an immediate family member or the like
3. Religious reasons (California Education Code section 89320)
4. Jury duty or government obligation
5. University sanctioned or approved activities (examples include: artistic performances, forensics presentations, participation in research conferences, intercollegiate athletic activities, student government, required class field trips, etc.)

Faculty members are not obligated to consider other absences as excused. Faculty members may require students to provide documentation for excused absences.

There are numerous classes offered on campus where attendance is crucial since student participation is essential. Absence from these courses may impact upon the work and participation of other students. Students who anticipate extended or multiple absences during a particular semester should consult with their advisor and the faculty member before enrolling in any class to determine whether it will be possible to complete the requirements for the course. Students who realize after enrollment that they will have extended or multiple absences should consult with the faculty member to see whether it will be possible to complete the course requirements.

The earliest possible notification is preferred. In some circumstances, it may be possible for the student to notify the faculty member of anticipated absences (e.g. for religious reasons or for scheduled athletic events) during the first week of enrollment. Advance notification (minimally one week in advance) is required for the following absences:

1. Jury duty and other government obligation
2. Religious reasons
3. University sanctioned or approved activities

The California Education Code (section 89320) requires “each state university, in administering any test or examination, to permit any student who is eligible to undergo the test or examination to do so, without penalty, at a time when that activity would not violate the student’s religious creed. This requirement shall not apply in the event that administering the test or examination at an alternate time would impose an undue hardship which could not reasonably have been avoided. In any court proceeding in which the existence of an undue hardship which could not reasonably have been avoided is an issue, the burden of proof shall be upon the institution.”

It is the responsibility of the student to make advance notification, contact the faculty member to make arrangements to make up any academic work that may be missed, submit assignments on time, and to make arrangements regarding activities, tests, quizzes, or exams that may be scheduled during the absences.

If a student does not notify the faculty member one week in advance of the date of absences for these reasons (jury duty, governmental service, religious observances, or University sanctioned activities), the instructor is not required to adjust the class schedule or to allow for make up activities, tests, or exams. Students shall not, however, be penalized for excused absences when circumstances make it impossible to provide advance notice (e.g. student is engaged in a University sanctioned event such as a performance, tournament, or playoff which cannot be anticipated).

Students who expect to be absent from the University for any valid reason, and who have found it difficult to inform their instructors, should notify the academic department office. The department office shall notify the student’s instructors of the nature and duration of the absence. It remains the responsibility of the student to arrange with instructors to make up any academic work missed.

In circumstances where an actual assignment, some specific class work, an activity, a quiz, or an exam cannot reasonably be made up, it is the instructor’s option to assign alternative work. (PS 01-01)

Visitors to Classes

Only students registered for the class either as regular students or as auditors, the instructor, and invited guests of the instructor may attend classes at CSULB. Persons wishing to become guests of the instructor should seek the instructor’s permission prior to the scheduled beginning of the class session.

Faculty Office Hours

The purpose of office hours is to provide opportunities for student-faculty interaction outside the classroom. Each instructional faculty member will hold one office hour per week for every class taught, up to a maximum of four hours. Faculty may account for up to one hour of this expectation through alternative forms of access such as availability by appointment or through e-mail. The faculty member’s office hours, phone number, and email contact will be posted by the door and announced in the syllabus. (PS 02-10)

Cheating and Plagiarism

Student Academic Honors Pledge

The Student Academic Honors Pledge was approved by the Academic Senate and Associated Student Senate in 2004. The pledge states, "I pledge on my honor that I have not given or received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment/examination."

Faculty may utilize the pledge as an educational tool with students in the classroom and on syllabi. Students may elect to sign the pledge as a symbol of their commitment to personal ethics and academic integrity.

Definition of Plagiarism

Plagiarism is defined as the act of using the ideas or work of another person or persons as if they were one’s own, without giving credit to the source. Such an act is not plagiarism if it is ascertained that the ideas were arrived at through independent reasoning or logic or where the thought or idea is common knowledge.

Acknowledgment of an original author or source must be made through appropriate references, i.e., quotation marks, footnotes, or commentary. Examples of plagiarism include, but are not limited to, the following: the submission of a work, either in part or in whole, completed by another; failure to give credit for ideas, statements, facts or conclusions which rightfully belong to another; in written work, failure to use quotation marks when quoting directly from another, whether it be a paragraph, a sentence, or even a part thereof; or close and lengthy paraphrasing of another’s writing or programming. A student who is in doubt about the extent of acceptable paraphrasing should consult the instructor.

Students are cautioned that, in conducting their research, they should prepare their notes by (a) either quoting material exactly (using quotation marks) at the time they take notes from a source; or (b) departing completely from the language used in the source, putting the material into their own words. In this way, when the material is used in the paper or project, the student can avoid plagiarism resulting from verbatim use of notes. Both quoted and paraphrased materials must be given proper citations.

Definition of Cheating

Cheating is defined as the act of obtaining or attempting to obtain or aiding another to obtain academic credit for work by the use of any dishonest, deceptive or fraudulent means. Examples of cheating during an examination include, but are not limited to the following: copying, either in part or in whole, from another’s test or examination; discussion of answers or ideas relating to the answers on an examination or test unless such discussion is specifically authorized by the instructor; giving or receiving copies of an examination without the permission of the instructor; using or displaying notes, “cheat sheets,” or other information or devices inappropriate to the prescribed test conditions, as when the test of competence includes a test of unassisted recall of information, skill, or procedure; or allowing someone other than the officially enrolled student to represent the same. Also included are plagiarism, as defined above, and altering or interfering with the grading procedures.

It is often appropriate for students to study together or to work in teams on projects. Such students, however, should be careful to avoid the use of unauthorized assistance, and to avoid any implication of cheating, by such means as sitting apart from one another in examinations, presenting the work in a manner which clearly indicates the effort of each individual, or such other method as is appropriate to the particular course.

Faculty Responsibilities

In cases where a student is suspected of cheating or plagiarism, the faculty member should arrange for an informal office conference with the student as soon as possible. The purpose of the informal conference is to bring the persons involved together to discuss the issues informally and to discuss courses of action. At the conference the student will be notified by the faculty member of the charge and supporting evidence. For an incident which occurs during or as a part of a final examination, see below for administration of an Incomplete grade.

In cases where there is more than one individual suspected of cheating or plagiarism, the faculty member may decide to call the students to confer jointly as a group, or as individuals, or both. If the faculty member should decide to confer with the students as a group, the students will have the option to also confer with the instructor separately as individuals.

The faculty member will inform the student(s) that both students and faculty have the right to submit a request to the Academic Integrity Committee (discussed below) for a written opinion on whether the accusation is supported by the evidence. All notes and discussions between the student and the faculty member are confidential, except as may be relevant to the Academic Integrity Committee or in subsequent campus disciplinary proceedings. Neither the faculty member nor the student should discuss a specific charge of cheating or plagiarism or any violations with reference to individuals in the classroom before other members of the class.

When the student cannot be contacted and therefore the informal conference cannot be held, as is sometimes the case after final examinations, a grade of “I” (Incomplete) may be assigned, but only if the instructor wishes an additional test of competence. The instructor will have the agreement form for assigning an “Incomplete” sent to the last known address of the student. The agreement form will state the following in the format indicated:

"Under the provisions of the CSULB Policy Statement on Cheating and Plagiarism, an additional test of competency related to the [syllabus name of suspect demonstration, e.g., Final Examination] is requested. [Explain what additional test of competency.] You may decline to do so. Please contact the instructor, the department office, or the Office of Judicial Affairs for information regarding the University policy on cheating and plagiarism."

The instructor will indicate on the agreement form the grade which will be assigned, normally 120 calendar days following mailing of the Incomplete Agreement, if the student does not respond or, responding, the student does not agree to an additional test of competence.

Charges of cheating or plagiarism cannot be brought against a student more than 120 calendar days after discovery that the work in question may have been plagiarized or that cheating may have taken place.

Notes and evidence will be kept by the department chair or program director for a minimum of five years after the case is settled.

Academic Actions

One or more of the following academic actions are available to the faculty member who finds a student has been cheating or plagiarizing. These options may be taken by the faculty member to the extent that the faculty member considers the cheating or plagiarism to manifest the student’s lack of scholarship or to reflect on the student’s lack of academic performance in the course. These actions may be taken without a request for, or before the receipt of, a Report from the Academic Integrity Committee.

1. Review but no action;
2. An oral reprimand with emphasis on counseling toward prevention of further occurrences;
3. A requirement that the work be repeated;
4. Assignment of a score of zero (0) for the specific demonstration of competence, resulting in the proportional reduction of final course grade;
5. Assignment of a failing final grade;
6. Referral to the Office of Judicial Affairs for possible probation, suspension, or expulsion.

A student may appeal a final course grade, the computation of which included an examination or other test of competence in which a score of zero was assigned for cheating or plagiarism, but only on the grounds permitted in the University Policy Statement on Grade Appeals.

An appeal of the final grade may include as written testimony the Report of the Academic Integrity Committee. (PS 85-19)

Student Unit Load

Recommended Student Load

The faculty recognizes that it is frequently necessary for students to hold part-time jobs while attending the University. It advises that good judgment be demonstrated by students enrolling under these conditions. Students whose outside employment could be expected to interfere with the normal unit load should reduce their academic program accordingly.

Students are expected to spend, on the average, two hours of preparation and study for each hour of class time. Thus, a three-unit lecture or discussion course normally demands a commitment of nine hours per week averaged over the semester, with the class meeting for three hours a week. This may be considered sufficient time to enable a student to do satisfactory work. Students who desire to achieve “A” or “B” grades may wish to spend proportionately more time in their studies.

A student’s employment and college time combined should not exceed 60 hours weekly. Students who make no allowances for their employment and outside obligations in planning their college programs will bear full responsibility for the resulting level of scholarship.

Minimum Unit Requirements for Students in Special Classifications


Veterans should inquire at the Veteran’s Affairs Office (BH 226) about unit load requirements for state and federal benefits.

Graduate Students

For information about graduate student load, see regulations governing Master’s Degrees in this Catalog.

International Students

Undergraduate international students on non-immigrant visas must carry and complete a minimum of 12 units per semester unless a reduced load is authorized by the student’s advisor and the Center for International Education. Reduced unit loads may be granted for substantial academic reasons or compelling personal reasons beyond the control of the student. Failure to secure such authorization results in violation of student status under Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and State Department regulations, warranting discontinuance of enrollment.

Students with Disabilities

It is recommended that students with disabilities attempt to modify their schedules, as necessary, to lessen the impact of a disability. Students with disabilities may request to enroll in a unit load which is commensurate with their ability. Reduced unit load is defined as less than 12 units for undergraduates and less than 9 units for graduates. Such requests must be made to Disabled Student Services prior to each semester affected. If approved, the student will be entitled to all benefits, services, and activities governed by the University which are accorded to full-time students. Eligibility for benefits, services, and activities outside the University's control will be governed by each separate external agency based upon actual unit load.

Student Load Regulations

I. Maximum Student Load during the Fall and Spring Semesters.

An undergraduate student carrying 12 or more units during the fall or spring semester is classified as a full-time student. A graduate or post-baccalaureate student carrying 9 or more units during the fall or spring semester is also classified as a full-time student. An undergraduate student carrying fewer than 12 units or a graduate or post-baccalaureate student carrying fewer than 9 units is classified as a part-time student. These definitions derive from federal financial aid regulations and have no bearing on the definitions used by the State of California to determine a student’s liability for the State University Fee.

The maximum number of units a student may take during the fall or spring semester is normally 18 for undergraduate, graduate, or post-baccalaureate students.

Exceptions to this limit will be made only on the basis of proven academic ability, the feasibility of a student’s proposed schedule, and the evidence that it is necessary to enroll for an overload in order to complete the student’s chosen academic program in a timely manner. Permission must be obtained from the office of the Division of Academic Affairs prior to registration.

II. Maximum Student Load during the Summer Term.

The maximum number of units a student may take during the summer term is one unit per week, plus one additional unit. Thus, the maximum number of units is normally 7 for one 6-week session, 10 for two overlapping sessions, and 14 for an entire summer.

Exceptions to this limit will be made only on the basis of proven academic ability, the feasibility of a student’s proposed schedule, and the evidence that the extra units will enable the student to graduate in that or the immediately subsequent term. Permission must be obtained from the office of the Division of Academic Affairs prior to registration.

III. Maximum Student Load during the Winter Session.

The maximum number of units a student may take during the winter session is one unit per week, plus one additional unit. Thus, the maximum number of units is normally 4.

Exceptions to this limit will be made only on the basis of proven academic ability, the feasibility of a student’s proposed schedule, and the evidence that the extra units will enable the student to graduate in that or the immediately subsequent term. Permission must be obtained prior to registration from the Associate Dean of the college of the student’s major department. (PS 04-08)

Course Listings

Courses are listed in this catalog by department, the departments and programs being arranged alphabetically. Each listing gives the course number, title, semester units in parentheses, semester or session offered, and the course description, which includes prerequisites and other restrictions.

Course Numbers

Any courses with a number of less than 100 do not count toward any degree program. For purposes of qualifying for financial aid, however, the unit value assigned to those courses will count for the semester in which those courses were taken. Lower-division courses are numbered from 100 through 299. These courses are designed primarily for Freshmen and Sophomores. They provide breadth of understanding and the foundation for the more specialized work in upper-division, advanced courses. Approved General Education courses are listed in the Schedule of Classes and are offered at both the lower-division and upper-division levels; no upper-division General Education course may be used in a graduate degree program. Lower-division courses are open to Junior, Senior, and Graduate students; however, lower-division courses may not be applied to any graduate degree program.

Upper-division courses are numbered from 300 through 499. These courses are open to students who have completed the prerequisites to the course, if any, stated in the course description and other departmental regulations given in this Catalog. A “Prerequisite” is a completed course or other measure of academic preparation which provides a foundation for the more advanced course.

Freshmen (fewer than 30 units) are not allowed to enroll in upper-division courses without permission of the instructor. Sophomores wishing to enroll in upper-division courses which indicate no prerequisites should consult with the course instructor or other knowledgeable advisor prior to enrollment. These courses are presented to meet the expectations of academically advanced students. Freshmen and Sophomores should not attempt courses with numbers preceded by an asterisk.

Certain 400-level courses are double-numbered with 500-level courses. In these courses the expectations of graduate students, who must enroll in the 500-level course, are greater than the expectations of undergraduates. Grading scales are different for the 500-level course and additional work is required of graduate students. A student may not earn credit for both the 400- and 500-level versions of a course.

Graduate-level courses are numbered from 500 to 799. Courses numbered 500-599 may be opened to senior students upon favorable petition. Courses numbered from 600 to 799 are open only to graduate students.

Included with some of the course numbers is a supplementary letter, or suffix, such as L for “laboratory” or A and B for a year-long sequence. “A-B” means that the courses must be taken in alphabetical sequence; “A,B” designates related courses which need not be taken in sequence. The student is given degree credit for each part of the sequence satisfactorily completed, whether or not the remaining part of the sequence is completed. The “semester or session offered” information is presented as a long-range planning guide. Funding, student demand, and instructor availability may require that a course be offered in a different semester or session or be postponed until a later academic year. F indicates Fall Semester, S indicates Spring Semester, W indicates Winter Session, and SS indicates Summer Session. The Schedule of Classes appropriate to the semester or session in question should be consulted for actual course scheduling information. Courses offered only in alternate years are so designated. Many of the courses offered during the fall and spring semesters are also offered during the summer session.

The University reserves the right to make changes in course offerings without notice.

Course Credit Units and Modes of Instruction

Course Credit Units

Each course has a specific credit unit value which is indicated in parentheses following the course titles in this Catalog.

In accordance with national standards, each semester unit corresponds to approximately 45 hours of work per semester, counting both class meeting time and outside preparation and study. For a traditional lecture or discussion course, this means that the class will meet one hour a week for every unit in a fall or spring semester (15 weeks of class meetings).

The instructional “hour” is fifty minutes long, allowing for transit between classes and rest breaks within multi-hour classes. For a laboratory or activity course, the class may meet two or three hours per week for every unit.

Classes scheduled in the six-week summer session or in a three-week summer or winter session, are scheduled for additional class hours per week so the total meeting time is the same as in a fall or spring semester. Classes taught by other modes of instruction are expected to require the same time commitment as traditionally-scheduled classes.

Hybrid Classes and Distance Education Classes

Some classes use academic technology to replace part or all of the face-to-face class meetings. In a hybrid class, one-third to two-thirds of the student/faculty and student/student contact time uses academic technology to structure remote activities. The remaining communication is face-to-face, similar to traditional classes. A Local Online Class (LOC) is a course offering in which the majority of the instruction occurs when the student and instructor are not in the same place, but it may require up to two hours of face-to-face meetings per unit on the California State University, Long Beach campus within the given semester. A Distance Education Class is a course offering in which communication between faculty and student occurs primarily via academic technology, but it may also include off-site meetings. The mode of instruction is normally shown in the Schedule of Classes. (PS 03-11)

Student Rights Relative to Course Instructional Mode

1. Student access to the faculty shall not be reduced by the instructional mode of a class.
2. The University shall make every effort to inform students of the mode of instruction and technological requirements of a course offering before the student enrolls in the class.
3. Matriculated students enrolled in non-traditional classes shall have access to the on-site academic advising services at California State University, Long Beach.
4. All students have equal access to the University library and other on-site learning resources offered at California State University, Long Beach.
5. Students in non-traditional classes shall have reasonable support services. These include:
      A. Phone-based and online technology help to handle student questions and to refer students to appropriate available services for hybrid and local online or distance  education courses;
      B. Online and phone-based access to university administrative services;
      C. Online dissemination of information describing the resources available for obtaining the technical competence needed to succeed in a specific course offering;
      D. Online access to the library research databases and other research-related resources.
6. The University shall provide adequate technical support for academic technology.

Credit for Independent Study Courses

Students may arrange with a faculty member to enroll in a supervised independent study, research, or reading course. Before enrolling in such a course, the student must have an agreement on file in the department office where the course is offered. The agreement is to be made between the student and the instructor at the beginning of the course and must include the following: a description of the work to be accomplished, specific information on the tasks required, the nature of the final report, and the basis for determining the final grade. The agreement must be signed by both the instructor and the student. (PS 94-06)

Credit for Cross-Listed Courses

Certain courses are listed in this Catalog under more than one department. For purposes of awarding credit, all such listings are considered to be the same course, and a student may receive credit for only one of the listings. Normally, students will receive credit for such a cross-listed course in the department under which they register for it.

Transfer Credit

Students who were in good standing at another accredited institution may, within maximums, transfer credit for baccalaureate or graduate degree course work. Course equivalency for major requirements must be determined. Students are cautioned that the University is under no obligation to accept transferred courses for subject credit in addition to unit credit for admission. Normally, however, there is a probability that courses in the accepted core of a discipline will be exchangeable between universities. Policy regarding transfer of courses from California community colleges differs in some respects.

Transfer of Undergraduate Credit From Accredited Community Colleges

A maximum of 70 semester units earned in a community college may be applied toward the baccalaureate degree, with the following limitations and stipulations:

1. No upper-division credit may be allowed for courses taken in a community college;
2. No more than six semester units in education courses taken in a community college may be applied toward the baccalaureate degree or the professional preparation requirements of a teacher education basic credential program;
3. Individual program regulations may include specific transfer limitations.
4. Students who transfer general education certification are still required to complete at least 9 units of upper-division courses at the campus conferring the degree.
5. Any course taken at community colleges can substitute for general education breadth requirements and lower-division requirements, if the course is approved as equivalent to the appropriate CSULB course. Students with more than 70 transferable units from community colleges will get subject matter credit for all such courses, but no more than 70 units will count toward graduation.
6. All transferable units taken at community colleges will count toward computation of the overall grade-point average. All transferable units in the major taken at community colleges will count toward computation of the overall major grade-point average.

Articulation of Courses—California Articulation Number (CAN) System

Lower division course-to-course articulation is a formal, faculty-approved agreement that identifies courses (or sequences of courses) that are comparable to, or acceptable in lieu of, specific course requirements between the "sending" campus and the "receiving" campus. Course articulation allows a smooth academic transition between the segments of higher education in California.

California State University, Long Beach participates in the CAN System. The CAN system is a cross-reference course identification system designed to identify lower-division, transferable courses commonly presented by transferring students. The CAN system not only simplifies the transfer process, but makes it easier for students, faculty, and counselors.

The development of a faculty-approved bilateral articulation agreement for each course with four public four-year institutions provides the foundation of the CAN system. Articulation agreements for each course are periodically reviewed with each campus by the faculty and Department Chairs.

The CAN system is based on bilateral course articulation: courses considered to be comparable, not necessarily identical, and acceptable “in lieu of” each other. The system assures students that CAN courses on one participating campus will be accepted “in lieu of” the comparable CAN course on another participating campus.
Example: CAN FCS 2 on one campus will be accepted for CAN FCS 2 on another participating campus. Each participating campus not only retains and uses its own course number, prefix, and title, but also adds the appropriate CAN designation parenthetically in its publications when it has qualified the course.

CSULB now articulates some pre-baccalaureate courses. For further information contact the University Articulation Office, (562) 985-8221 or 985-7171.

CAN Course CSU Long Beach Course
CRIM 101 Criminal Justice System Society
ANTH 110 Introduction to Physical Anthropology
ANTH 120 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
ANTH 140 Introduction to Archaeology
AH 115B Foundations of Art History II
AH 115C Foundations of Art History III
ART 151A Beginning Ceramics: Hand Building
ART 181 Foundations of Drawing
ART 187 Foundations of Painting
ART 263 Beginning Sculpture
AH 115B + 115C Foundations of Art History II + III
BIOL 207 Human Physiology
MICR 200 General Microbiology/Health Professional
or MICR 211 General Microbiology
BIOL 211A + 211B Biological Sciences I + II
CHEM 111A General Chemistry
CHEM 111B General Chemistry
CHEM 111A + 111B General Chemistry
THEA 112 Beginning Voice/Speech for Actors
THEA 144 Stage Make Up I
ECON 100 Principles of Macroeconomics
ECON 101 Principles of Microeconomics
ENGL 100 Composition
ENGL 250A Survey English Literature
ENGL 250B Survey English Literature
ENGL 250A + 250B Survey English Literature
MAE 172 Engeneering Design Graphics
E E 211 Electric and Electronic Circuits +
E E 211L Electric Circuits Lab
C E 205 Analytical Mechanics I (Statics)
C E 130 Survey and Mapping
E E 211 Electric and Electronic Circuits I
FCS 132 Introductory to Nutrition
FCS 235 Principles of Food Preparation
FCS 154 Fundamentals of Apparel Production
FCS 111 Preschool Child
FREN 101A Fundamentals of French
FREN 101B Fundamentals of French
FREN 201A Intermediate French
FREN 201B Intermediate French
FREN 101A + 101B Fundamentals of French
FREN 201A + 201B Intermediate French
GEOG 140 Introduction to Physical Geography
GEOG 160 Introduction to Human Geography
GEOL 102 + 104 General Geology + Geology Lab
GEOL 240 Historical Geology
GERM 101B Fundamentals of German
POSC 100 Introduction to American Government
HIST 131 Early Western Civilization
HIST 132 Modern Western Civilization
HIST 172 Early U.S. History
HIST 173 Recent U.S. History
HIST 212 World Since 1500
HIST 131 + 132 Early/Modern Western Civilization
HIST 172 + 173 Early/Recent U.S. History
JOUR 120 Writing Across the Media
JOUR 110 Introduction to Mass Communication
MATH 103 Mathematical Ideas
MATH 101 Trigonometry
MATH 114 Finite Math
MATH 117 Precalculus Mathematics
MATH 122 Calculus I
MATH 123 Calculus II
MATH 224 Calculus III
MATH 247 Introduction to Linear Algebra
MATH 119A Survey of Calculus I
MATH 119B Survey of Calculus II
MATH 115 Calculus for Business
MATH 122 + 123 Calculus I + II
MATH 122 + 123 + 124 Calculus I + II + III
PHIL 100 Introduction to Philosophy
PHIL 160 Introductory Ethics
PHIL 170 Critical Reasoning
PHYS 100A General Physics
PHYS 100B General Physics
PHYS 100A + 100B General Physics
PSY 100 General Psychology
REC 141 Introduction to Leisure Services
SOC 100 Principles of Sociology
SPAN 101A Fundamentals of Spanish
SPAN 101B Fundamentals of Spanish
SPAN 201A Intermediate Spanish
SPAN 201B Intermediate Spanish
SPAN 101A + 101B Fundamentals of Spanish
SPAN 201A + 201B Intermediate Spanish
COMM 130 Essentials of Public Speaking
COMM 131 Essentials of Argument
COMM 110 Interpersonal Communications
COMM 132 Small Group Discussion
MATH 180 Statistics for Everday Life

Extension Credit

A maximum of 24 semester units of Extension Credit may be accepted toward a baccalaureate degree. Extension credit may not be used to fulfill the minimum 30-unit residence requirement.

Courses offered through Extended Education conferring Continuing Education Unit credit (CEU) carry no degree credit.

Open University/Special Session

The Open University program allows enrollment in regular university credit courses for those who are not currently admitted to and/or registered at CSULB. Enrollment is on a "space available" basis, subject to the approval of the instructor and the department chair concerned.

No more than 24 units of special session course credit earned through Open University or UCES Special Sessions course offerings at CSULB in non-matriculated status may count toward any undergraduate degree requirement. Students are considered in non-matriculated status in terms prior to the term of official admission to the degree granting program and during terms of disqualification from the degree granting program. There is no limit on UCES Special Sessions course credit, including Winter session, applicable to the degree if taken while in matriculated status in the degree program.

At the option of the appropriate college and department, up to six units of Open University Special Sessions credit may be applied to a graduate degree. This limit may be increased to nine units in some instances.

Baccalaureate Credit Based on Alternative Means of Assessment

The University grants credit toward the baccalaureate degree based on several types of assessment other than formal university courses. Students should consult the Chair or undergraduate advisor of the concerned department about applicability to individual courses or degree requirements.

Advanced Placement Credit

California State University, Long Beach grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of Advanced Placement (AP) examinations of the College Board. Students who present scores of three or better will be granted up to six semester units (nine quarter units) of college credit for each AP course. Refer to the Advanced Placement Examination Credit table that follows for transfer credit awarded.

For questions or information, please call the Office of Enrollment Services at (562) 985-5471 or consult the department.

Advanced Placement Examinations Credit
AP Exam AP Score GE Designation Credit
Art History
3-5 C.1 Fine Arts ART - 6 units electives
Art Studio:
2D Design
3-5 No GE Credit ART - 3 units electives
3D Design
3-5 No GE Credit ART - 3 units electives
Drawing Portfolio
3-5 No GE Credit ART - 6 units electives
3 B.1a Life Science w/lab BIOL 200 - 4 units & 2 units BIOL electives
4 B.1a Life Science w/lab BIOL 211A - 5 units & 1 unit BIOL elective
5 B.1a Life Science w/lab BIOL 211A - 3 units & BIOL 211B (not GE) 3 units
3 B.1b Physical Science w/lab CHEM 100 - 4 units & 2 units CHEM electives
4-5 B.1b Physical Science w/lab CHEM 111A - 5 units & 1 unit CHEM elective
Computer Science A
3-5 No GE Credit 3 units electives
Computer Science AB
3-5 No GE Credit 6 units electives
3-5 D.2 Social & Behavioral Science ECON 100 - 3 units
3-5 D.2 Social & Behavioral Science ECON 101 - 3 units
Language & Composition
3-5 A.1 ENGL 100 - 3 units & 3 units ENGL electives
Literature & Composition
3-5 A.1 & C.2a ENGL 100 - 3 units & ENGL 180 - 3 units
Environmental Science
3-5 No GE Credit 3 units lower division electives




C.2c Foreign Language

C.2c Foreign Language

FREN 201A - 4 units & FREN 101B - 2 units

FREN 201B - 4 units & FREN 201A - 2units

FEN 490 - 3 units

German: Language
3-5 C.2c Foreign Language GERM 301 - 4 units & 2 units GERM electives
Geography: Human Geography
3-5 D.2 GEOG 160 - 3 units & 3 units GEOG electives
United States
3-5 D.1a (HIST 172) & D.2 (HISST 173) HIST 172 - 3 units & HIST 173 - 3 units
3-5 D.2 (HIST 131) & D.2 (HIST 132) HIST 131 - 3 units & HIST 132 - 3 units
World History
3-5 D.2 Global HIST 212 - 3 units & 3 units electives



C.2c Foreign Language

C.2c Foreign Language

ITAL 201A - 4 units

ITAL 201B - 4 units

Latin: Vergil







C.2c Foreign Language

C.2c Foreign Language

C.2c Foreign Language

C.2c Foreign Language

LAT 101B - 2 units & LAT 301 - 2 units & LAT 401 2 units

LAT 301 - 3 units & LAT 401 - 3 units

LAT 101B - 2 units & LAT 301 - 2 units & LAT 403 - 2 units

LAT 301 - 3 units & LAT 403 - 2 units & 1 unit upper division LAT electives

Calculus AB*

Calculus BC





MATH 117 - 2 units & MATH 122 - 4 units

MATH 122 - 3 units & MATH 123 - 3 units



No GE Credit

MUS - 6 units electives

Physics B

Physics C (Mechanics)

Physics C (Electricity & Magnetism)




B.1b Physical Science w/lab

B.1b Physical Science w/lab

B.1b Physical Science w/lab

PHYS 100A - 3 units & PHYS 100B - 3 units

PHYS 151 - 3 units

PHYS 152 - 3 units

Politcal Science:
United States Government & Politics (1 semester

Comparative Government & Politics (1 semester)




D.1b (Must take POSC 326)


D.2 Global

POSC 100 - 3 units
(does not include California State and local governement)

POSC 215 - 3 units

Psychology (1 semester)
3-5 D.2 PSY 100 - 3 units





C.2c Foreign Language
C.2c Foreign Language

No GE Credit

SPAN 101B - 2 units & SPAN 201A - 4 units
SPAN 201A - 2 units & SPAN 201B - 4 units

SPAN 310 - 3 units & 3 units SPAN electives

Statistics (1 semester)
3-5 B.2 effective Spring 2006 MATH 180 - 3 units

Notes for Advanced placement:

* Credit is awarded for a 3-5 on the AB exam score of the AB subscore on the BC exam.

A maximum of 6 units will be granted for each exam. If the number of units per course equivalency exceeds 6, credit for 6 units will be awarded and the course waived. Credit can only be awarded once per course. Example: if a student takes Calculus AB & BC, only nine units can be awarded.

International Baccalaureate Credit

Students with scores of 5 or higher in International Baccalaureate Higher Level courses will be awarded baccalaureate credit of 4 to 10 units, depending on course equivalency. Applicants to CSULB who wish to obtain lower-division course credit for completed International Baccalaureate Higher Level examinations must submit an official IB transcript. Course equivalency for Higher Level examinations completed with a grade of 5 or higher is listed in the International Baccaluareate Examination Credit table that follows.

For questions or information, please call the Office of Enrollment Services at (562) 985-5471 or consult the department. (PS 98-08)

IB Exam IB Score Credit
Arts, Visual
5, 6 or 7 ART electives - 4 units
Arabic A2
Arabic B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
4 units ARAB electives
ARAB 201B - 4 units
BIOL 200 - 4 units & 2 units BIOL electives
BIOL 211A - 5 units & 1 unit BIOL elective
BIOL 211A - 3 units & BIOL 211B - 3 units
Business & Mangement
5, 6 or 7 CBA 130 - 3 units & 1 unit CBA elective
5, 6 or 7 CHEM 11A - 5 units & 1 unit CHEM elective
Chinese A2
5, 6 or 7 CHIN 451 - 3 units & 1 unit upper division CHIN elective
Classical Greek
5, 6 or 7 GK 101A - 4 units & GK 101B - 4 units
Computing Studies
5, 6 or 7 CECS electives - 4 units
5, 6 or 7 ECON 100 - 3 units & ECON 101 - 3 units
English A1
English A1
English B
5 or 6
5, 6 or 7
ENGL 100 - 3 units & ENGL 180 - 3 units
ENGL 100 - 3 units & ENGL 184 - 3 units
ENGL 100 - 3 units & ENGL 180 - 3 units
French A2
French B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
FREN 312A - 3 units & FREN 312B - 3 units & FREN 411 - 3 units
FREN 312A - 3 units & FREN 312B - 3 units & FREN 314 - 3 units
5, 6 or 7 GEOG 100 - 3 units & 1 unit GEOG elective
German A2
German B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
GERM 301 - 4 units & GERM 302 - 4 units & 2 units upper division
GERM 301 - 4 units & GERM 302 - 4 units
History of Africa
5, 6 or 7 4 units HIST electives
History of the Americans
5, 6 or 7 6 units HIST electives
History of Asia:
East & Southeast Asia & Oceania
South Asia and the Middle East

5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7

4 units HIST electives
4 units HIST electives
History of Europe
5, 6 or 7 HIST 132 - 3 units & 3 units HIST electives
History and Culture Islamic World
5, 6 or 7 4 units HIST electives
Italian A2
Italian B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
ITAL 312A - 3 units & ITAL 312B - 3 units & ITAL 411 - 3 units
ITAL 312A - 3 units & ITAL 312B - 3 units & ITAL 314 - 3 units
Japanese A2
Japanese B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
JAPN 421 - 3 units & JAPN 302 - 3 units &  JAPN 301 - 3 units
JAPN 201 - 4 units & JAPN 202 - 4 units
Korean B
5, 6 or 7 KOR 102 - 4 units
5, 6 or 7 LAT 301 - 3 units & 3 units of upper division Latin electives
Math - Higher Level
5, 6 or 7 MATH 114 - 3 units & MATH 122 - 4 units
5, 6 or 7 MUS 160 - 3 units & MUS 490 - 3 units
5, 6 or 7 PHIL 100 - 3 units & 1 unit PHIL elective
5, 6 or 7 PHYS 100A - 4 units & PHYS 100B - 4 units
Portuguese A2
Portuguese B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
4 units PORT electives
PORT 201B - 4 units
5, 6 or 7 PSY 100 - 3 units & 1 unit PSY elective
Russian A2
Russian B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
RUSS 312 - 3 units & RUSS 314 - 3 units & 3 units upper division RUSS electives
RUSS 312 - 3 units & RUSS 314 - 3 units
Social and Cultural Anthropology
5, 6 or 7 4 units ANTH electives
Spanish A2
Spanish B
5, 6 or 7
5, 6 or 7
SPAN 300 - 6 units & SPAN 310 - 3 units
SPAN 300 - 6 units & SPAN 314 - 3 units
Theatre Arts
5, 6 or 7 THEA 122 - 3 units & 1 unit THEA elective


Credit for Other External Examinations

In addition to the Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Examinations, California State University, Long Beach grants unit credit to those students who pass the following examinations that have been approved for credit by the CSU system: the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations in College Algebra - Trigonometry, Calculus/Elementary Functions, French, General Chemistry, German, and Spanish; and the American Chemical Society Cooperative Examination. (PS 87-04)

Unit Credit by Examination

Students may also challenge some courses by taking examinations developed at the campus. Credit will be awarded to those who pass them successfully. Credits earned in this manner will be recorded as test credit on the student’s transcript and will be counted toward the total number of units required for the degree although they will not be included in calculation of the grade-point average. Credit by examination may not be used to fulfill the minimum residence requirement.

Students must be enrolled in the University and in the course for which they wish to receive credit by examination. Enrollment is by permission of the department and is only available during the academic semester in which the course is being offered. Students must secure a signed and dated approval form from the department PRIOR to enrolling in the course. Students must provide the instructor with a copy of the signed and dated approval form at the first class meeting. The instructor will ensure that the examination is conducted, scored, and the results reported prior to the end of the third week of classes. Students who pass the examination will receive a grade of “CR.” Students who do not pass the examination have two options:

1. continue in the course as a regular student; or
2. withdraw from the course.

The University sets no maximum on the number of credits a student may receive by examination. Not all courses, however, are available for credit by examination. Information about courses for which credit by examination is not permitted is available in the Department Office, in the College Office, and the Office of Enrollment services. A student may NOT receive credit by examination:

1. for an activity course,
2. for any course which is a prerequisite to one for which credit has been received, (see department for possibility of course waiver),
3. to remove a grade of “F,” “U,” “NC,”
4. to satisfy the courses required for a major in a master’s degree.
5. for any course in which the content or methodology is such that an examination does not appropriately measure competence.

Application forms to apply for credit by examination are available in the Office of Enrollment Services. Procedures and criteria for requesting unit credit by examination in a given course are available in the appropriate department office. (PS 87-04)

Substitution of Courses

Students who believe that a course they have taken (or intend to take) may be appropriate to their program and that this course could substitute for a specified course requirement may request that the department submit an official authorization for substitution. Course substitutions are normally limited to cases where the required course cannot be offered or where the student has taken a similar but not identical course elsewhere. (PS 87-04)

Waiver of Course Requirement

In addition, students who believe that previous training has sufficiently prepared them in a certain area may request a waiver of a specific course requirement (subject credit only). The student will be required to justify the request in a way acceptable to the department. A waiver of specific course requirements does not reduce the total number of credits required for the major or the degree. (PS 87-04)

International Program Credit

Course credits earned in universities abroad may be accepted for degree credit at CSULB subject to evaluation by the cognizant department or program upon admission of the student to the University. CSULB students who desire, subsequent to admission, to take courses at a foreign university for degree credit must have each such course approved in advance in writing by the Chair of the appropriate department or program.

The Center for International Education administers many international education and exchange programs. Students fully accepted into one of these programs may, in most cases, continue CSULB residency while studying in the approved foreign institution. Some courses taken through these programs do not have to be approved in advance.

Credit for Noncollegiate Instruction

The California State University, Long Beach grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of noncollegiate instruction, either military or civilian, appropriate to the baccalaureate degree, that has been recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The number of units allowed are those recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Enrollment of Seniors in Graduate Courses

Undergraduates may enroll in graduate courses only under the conditions specified below:

Graduate Credit Earned as a Senior

Graduate credit usually may not be earned in advance of the baccalaureate degree. Seniors may, however, be granted approval to earn a maximum of 12 units of course work in the 400 and 500 levels designated as acceptable for graduate credit and taken at this university towards their prospective graduate programs (based upon faculty recommendation, academic performance (in general a grade-point average of 3.0 (B) in the major), and promise of academic achievement in post-graduate study). Approval is subject to the following conditions: (a) the course work must be in addition to that required for the undergraduate major; and (b) the undergraduate student must have a “Petition to Earn Graduate Credit in the Senior Year” approved by the departmental graduate advisor and the department chair prior to enrollment. (PS-92-08)

In those areas in which graduate credit is for a credential only, the petition must be submitted to the appropriate department in the College of Education. Petitions submitted after completion of course(s) will not be approved.

Senior Enrollment in Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Credit

Under special conditions, seniors who have a 3.0 grade-point average or better in their major and who have adequate undergraduate preparation in the subject may enroll in up to 12 units in the 500-599 series to fulfill the elective requirements of the bachelor’s degree. The course work may not be applied to the units of 500-600 level course work required by the department or college for the master’s degree. The student must have a “Petition to Earn Credit Toward a Bachelor’s Degree for a 500-Level Course Taken in the Senior Year” approved by the instructor and department chair before registration in the class(es) is permitted. (PS 92-09)

Grades and Grading Procedures

Definitions of Grades and Grading Symbols


The following definitions apply to grades assigned in all undergraduate and graduate courses.

“A” – Performance of the student has been at the highest level, showing sustained excellence in meeting all course requirements and exhibiting an unusual degree of intellectual initiative.
“B” – Performance of the student has been at a high level, showing consistent and effective achievement in meeting course requirements.
“C” – Performance of the student has been at an adequate level, meeting the basic requirements of the course.
“D” ­– Performance of the student has been less than adequate, meeting only the minimum course requirements.
“F”– Performance of the student has been such that minimal course requirements have not been met.

In addition to the standard grades, the University permits students to select evaluation on a “Credit” or “No Credit” basis. These grades are defined as follows:
“CR/NC” – A “CR” is equivalent to an “A”, “B”, or “C”, and “NC” is equivalent to a “D”, “F”, or “WU”. In two circumstances a grade of “CR” reflects work at the level of “B” or better, and a grade of “NC” reflects work at the level of “C”, “D”, “F”, or “WU”. Those two circumstances are 1) in certain professional preparation courses, providing that the students are notified of such a policy both in class materials and in the Catalog course description; and 2) for graduate students in all courses at the 300, 400, 500, and 600 levels.

There are special regulations and procedures governing the “CR/NC” grading system described below.

Administrative Grading Symbols

The following definitions apply to administrative grading symbols assigned in all undergraduate and graduate courses.

“AU” – Audit. Enrollment as an auditor is subject to permission of the instructor; provided that enrollment in a course as an auditor shall be permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. Auditors are subject to the same fee structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. It is the responsibility of the student to request from the instructor what is meant by regular class attendance. The symbol “AU” is posted to the student’s permanent academic record unless the student fails to attend a sufficient number of class meetings. In these cases, the instructor will request that the student be administratively withdrawn from the course. Once enrolled as an auditor, a student may not change to credit status unless such a change is requested prior to the last day to add classes. A student who is enrolled for credit may not change to audit after the last day to add classes.

“I” – Incomplete. The symbol “I” indicates that a portion of required course work (normally not more than one third) has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons; and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements which must be satisfied to remove the Incomplete. A final grade is assigned when that work has been completed and evaluated.

An “I” must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. An incomplete grade cannot be resolved after graduation. Failure to complete the assigned work will result in an “I” being converted to an "F," except as noted in item 3), below.

An extension of time may be granted for contingencies such as military service or documented, serious health or personal problems.

The conditions for removal of the incomplete shall be reduced to writing by the instructor on a “Requirements for Assigning an Incomplete Grade” form. This form shall include a statement of:

1. all work completed in the course, the grades assigned for that work, and the percentages of the final grade accounted for by each item;
2. the work not completed and the percentage that each uncompleted assignment will count toward the final grade; and
3. the final grade the instructor will assign if the course requirements are not completed within one calendar year, or a shorter period as specified on the form, immediately following the term in which the “I” was assigned, without respect to continuous enrollment of the student during this period.

A copy of the agreement is to be given to the student, a copy is to be retained in the department office, and a copy is to be filed with the Office of Enrollment Services at the time final grades are submitted. Normally, the student should sign the “Incomplete form.” If the student is eligible for an Incomplete, a faculty member may assign an “I” even when the student cannot be present to sign the form. In such a case, the instructor will forward to the student a copy of the form via the department office. When the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated, a final grade will be assigned by an instructor. If an "Incomplete" is assigned without an "Assignment of Incomplete Grade" form attached, or with a form which is not filled in acceptably, the symbol of "RD" will be assigned to the student. The “Assignment of Incomplete Grade” form will be considered unacceptable if:

A. more than one-third of the work remains to be completed, and no justification has been provided;
B. the work required to complete the course has not been specified;
C. the faculty member failed to sign the form; or
D. the percentage fields have not been filled in and a justification for their absence has not been supplied.

The appropriate associate dean of the college shall determine whether or not the justification is adequate. Notice of the missing form, or a copy of the unacceptable form will be sent to the department chair with the request that the chair work with the faculty member to provide the information necessary to assign the grade of "Incomplete."

"RD" — Report Delayed. This symbol is used exclusively by Enrollment Services to permit processing of all final course grades when the final course grades for an entire course section have not been reported by the instructor. The symbol does not imply any academic evaluation. If an instructor fails to report a grade for an individual student, Enrollment Services will assume that an "I" could not be assigned and so will enter a symbol "WU," discussed below.

“RP” – Report in Progress. The “RP” symbol is used in connection with courses requiring multiple enrollment, i.e., that extend beyond one academic term. It indicates that work is in progress but that assignment of a final grade must await completion of additional work. Re-enrollment is permitted prior to assignment of a final grade provided the cumulative units attempted do not exceed the total number applicable to the student’s educational objective. Work is to be completed within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned except for graduate degree theses. If the “RP” symbol is not replaced by a terminal grade within the specified time period or prior to the student’s declared graduation date, it will be changed to a “W”. An “RP” symbol cannot be replaced by an “I” (Incomplete) symbol; an “I” is not a final course grade.

“W” – Withdrawal. The symbol “W” is used to signify that a student formally withdrew from the course; no reference or implication of passing or failing progress at the time of withdrawal is made or implied. The symbol "W" is not a grade and does not alter a student's grade point average.

“WU” – Unauthorized Withdrawal. The symbol “WU” indicates that an enrolled student did not complete course requirements but did not withdraw from the course. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible (letter grades “A”-“F” or an Incomplete). For purposes of grade point average this symbol is equivalent to an “F.” A student who receives a “WU” cannot complete additional work and have the “WU” changed to a letter grade. In courses which are graded Credit/No Credit or in cases where the student has elected Credit/No Credit evaluation, use of the symbol “WU” is inappropriate and “NC” will be used instead. Students who receive “WU”s in their first semester of enrollment at CSULB will have those “WU”s automatically changed to “W”s. In such cases the student will be notified that this policy applies for that first semester at CSULB only.

Course Grading Options

The faculty determine in advance which courses may be taken for letter grade only (A-F), “CR/NC” only, or either. When a course is designated for “CR/NC” grading only or for letter grade only, mention of this fact shall be incorporated in the Catalog course description.

Credit/No Credit Grading

Any undergraduate course may be designated for or closed to the option of “CR/NC” grading whether or not the course be a requirement for an undergraduate degree major, minor, certificate, credential, or concentration.

No course in which a grade of “CR” has been assigned may be used to fulfill the requirements for a master’s degree, except that the grade of “CR” may be permitted for master’s theses or projects (to a maximum of six units) when the individual department has specifically designated “CR/NC” grading for the thesis/project course in the department, and for fieldwork, practicum, and/or internship courses (also to a maximum of six units). The option of “CR/NC” grading for graduate students in undergraduate courses is subject to specific regulations of the individual departments regarding their graduate students and regarding the authorization for this option intrinsic to the approved course. Otherwise, no limitation exists as to the number of courses taken by graduate students under this policy.

An undergraduate student may elect “CR/NC” grading in no more than a total of 24 units, of which no more than twelve (12) may be upper-division units. No more than eight (8) units per semester may be taken for “CR/NC” grades. Exemptions from these limitations are: (1) courses graded “CR/NC” taken at another institution, (2) course credit earned by examination, and (3) courses in which “CR/NC” grading is the only form of grading.

The decision to elect the “CR/NC” grading option for a course must be made by the last day to add classes. To elect “CR/NC” grading, the student must obtain the signature of the student’s major advisor and a stamp from the department/program in which the course is offered on the appropriate form. The student must then file the signed form with the Office of Enrollment Services. The decision to register for a course on a “CR/NC” basis remains in effect unless a change is requested prior to or on the last day to add classes.

The only exception to this rule is for students who declare new majors after the last day to add classes. If the newly declared major requires letter grading for the course in question and the student has elected “CR/NC” grading, then the student may request that letter grading (A-F) be used. Such a change must be requested no later than the last day of instruction. The grading option may not be changed after the end of the semester.

Final Assessments

1. Every course except Distance Learning Courses shall meet at the time listed in the Final Examination Schedule. The College Dean must approve any exception to this requirement.

2. Every course shall have a final assessment appropriate to the course that shall cover a significant proportion of the course. The College Dean must approve any exception to this requirement.

Assignment and Change of Grades

Assignment of Grades

1. The faculty member of record in a course section (i.e., the faculty member officially assigned to teach that section) has the exclusive responsibility and authority to assign grades to all students in that section, subject only to the following exceptions:
     A. Should the faculty member of record be unable or unwilling to complete this task because of death, disability, separation of employment, or prolonged absence from campus during a regular academic term, the department chair or program director, following notification of the faculty member of record where appropriate and with the approval of the college dean, may appoint another faculty member with the most appropriate available disciplinary qualifications to complete the assignment of grades; or
     B. In the event of a successful grade appeal (see section on Change of Grade, below.)
2. Final course grades shall be based on at least three (3), and preferably four (4) or more, demonstrations of competence by the student.
3. In no case shall the grade on any single demonstration of competence count for more than one-third of the course grade. This provision does not abridge a faculty member's right to assign a course grade of "F" for a single act of cheating.
4. At the start of the course, instructors shall provide to their students in writing the grading policies and practices to be employed in the class and the rules that will apply to withdrawals.
5. Instructors shall keep a record of students’ scores on each of the demonstrations of competence on which the final grade is based.
6. Instructors are expected to provide students with an opportunity for demonstration of competence, relevant to the determination of their final grade in the course, as early as is reasonable and no later than the mid-point of the term.
7. Students have a right to be informed promptly of their scores and to review each of their demonstrations of competence with their instructors.
8. If materials submitted for a demonstration of competence are not returned, these materials will be retained for at least two (2) subsequent semesters by the instructor. The materials shall be accessible to the department office. In the absence of the original instructor, an instructor with appropriate qualifications may be appointed by the chair to review the demonstration of competence with the student.
9. Grades reported to the Office of Enrollment Services are considered to be official and final course grades.

Conditions and Procedures for Change of Grade

1. Changes to grades or grading symbols can be made only on the basis of:
     1) an error,
     2) a successful grade appeal. (See the separate policy statement on Grade Appeals.), or
     3) resolution of an Incomplete (“I”). A final course grade or grading symbol shall not be changed on the basis of additional work submitted, except where an "I" was recorded.
2. Original final course grades are replaced only when
     1) the change is due to an error,
     2) the grade change is the result of a grade appeal, or
     3) Enrollment Services receives a late report of final course grades for which the symbol "RD" was substituted pending receipt.
3. Original final course grades or grading symbols are not replaced when the change of grade is the result of
     1) the resolution of an "Incomplete," or
     2) the repetition of a course. Final course grades or administrative grading symbols must be recorded for all enrollments beyond the census date.
4. Except for changes of grades resulting from grade appeals, all changes of final course grades must be filed within one year from the date of the filing of the first final course grade, without respect to continuous enrollment of the student. Only as the result of a successful grade appeal or the correction of an error will a final course grade be changed after the award of a degree or credential or certificate.
5. All requests for change of a final course grade shall carry the recommendation of the instructor (except as provided for in the Grade Appeals Procedures), the
Department Chair, and the approval of the Dean of the College. (PS 05-07)

Final Course Grades

Final course grades will be available via "MyCSULB" approximately two-three weeks after the end of each semester or session.

Student Grade Record

A record is kept and grade or administrative symbol notations are indicated for all enrollments beyond the second week of instruction.

Repeating Courses

In most cases a student may not take or receive unit credit for a course for which the student has already received a CR or a grade of C or better. This principle applies whether the course was initially taken at CSULB, at a high school, or at another college or university. The only exceptions to this rule are: (1) when a course has been specifically designated as repeatable for credit up to a specific maximum number of units (there may also be other limitations, such as a requirement that each repetition be with a different instructor and/or on a different topic); (2) activity courses; (3) upper-division courses in an undergraduate student’s major completed more than ten years prior to the student’s graduation; and (4) courses on a graduate student’s program of study taken more than seven years prior to graduation. (PS 99-17)

Repetition of Courses for Satisfactory Grade
(Repeat and Delete)

Undergraduate students and postbaccalaureate students who are pursuing a second (or subsequent) baccalaureate degree may repeat, for the purpose of excluding the grade from grade-point determination, an undergraduate course taken at California State University, Long Beach in which a grade of D, F, U, or WU was received. Postbaccalaureate students pursuing credential programs, certificate programs, or master's degrees are not eligible for the Repeat and Delete policy.

Eligible students may repeat a course once for the purpose of deleting a grade, without prior departmental approval, if the course was taken both times at CSULB. If the second attempt of the course is successful (C or better), the deletion of the first attempt is automatically calculated at the end of the semester in which the course was repeated. Although the first grade will remain on the permanent record, the grade and grade points of the repeated course on the second attempt will be those used in determining the grade-point average and units earned, provided the second grade was C or better.

Students are not prohibited from continuing to repeat a course in which the grade for the second attempt is unsatisfactory (D, F, U, WU), but, in that case, grades earned for all attempts will remain in the grade-point determination, and the units earned in the course will be applied to the degree only once. While there is no time limit for repeating a course, the student's permanent record may not be altered after a degree has been granted.

If students wish to exclude from grade-point determination a grade of D, F, U, or WU in a course taken at another institution, they may do so by enrolling in an equivalent course at CSULB. A "Notice of Intent to Repeat a Transfer Course" form must be filed with the Office of Enrollment Services. The department in which the course is taught must indicate on the form which particular course may be repeated to delete the previous grade. An official transcript from the institution where the original course was taken must accompany the form. Only one repeat is allowed for the purpose of deleting a grade, and the repeated grade and grade points will be used in the overall grade-point determination, provided the second grade was C or better.

A grade received in a course taken at another institution may not be used to delete a grade in an equivalent course taken at CSULB.

Grade Appeals

Students have the right to formally appeal the final grade, but only the final grade, in a course. Appeals are limited to situations in which the student believes the grade was “prejudicially,” “capriciously,” or “arbitrarily” assigned. The appeal must be initiated within the first regular semester after assignment of the grade. It must first be directed to the instructor of the course, orally or in writing. If further action is necessary, the student should appeal in writing to the department chair. If further action is necessary, the department chair will forward the appeal in writing to the Department Grade Appeals Committee. If the issue continues to remain unresolved, the written appeal can be directed to the Grade Appeals Committee of the college in which the course was taken. Information about college grade appeals committees and the University policy (PS 99-16) can be obtained from the office of the college dean.

Scholastic Probation and Disqualification

Academic Probation

Undergraduate students are placed on academic probation if at any time their cumulative grade-point average in all college work attempted or their cumulative GPA at California State University, Long Beach falls below 2.0 (C). Graduate students are placed on academic probation when their cumulative grade-point average or grade-point average on all courses applicable to the degree falls below 3.0. Other post-baccalaureate students are placed on academic probation when their cumulative grade-point average falls below 2.5.

Undergraduate students will be removed from academic probation when their cumulative grade-point average in all college work attempted and their cumulative grade-point average at California State University, Long Beach is 2.0 (C) or higher. Students who remain on academic probation for more than two consecutive semesters are subject to academic disqualification. Students actively participating in an intervention program may request an extension of time to achieve a 2.0 GPA. Such extension will be granted if the student is making progress toward the degree.

Graduate students will be removed from academic probation when their overall grade-point average and grade-point average on all courses applicable to the degree are 3.0 (B) or higher.

Other post-baccalaureate students will be removed from academic probation when their overall grade-point average is 2.5 or higher. (PS 02-07)

Strategies for Academic Success Program
(Academic Probation Intervention)

This is a university-wide program designed for undergraduate students who are on academic probation (either the CSULB or all college cumulative grade-point average is below 2.0). The program includes information about university policies and procedures, the reasons students encounter academic problems, and, lastly, how and where to receive assistance from campus services and offices to be a successful student.

Any undergraduate whose CSULB or overall cumulative grade-point average (GPA) is below 2.0 may participate in the program. Declared graduate students and credential candidates who are on probation should contact their department for information and assistance.

Attendance in this program is not mandatory but it is highly recommended.

If you would like more information or if you would like to sign up for a workshop please call us at (562) 985-7847 or stop by the Academic Advising Center, located in Academic Services (formerly Library East), room 124. Workshops are scheduled at a variety of times during each semester.

Graduate and post-baccalaureate students are subject to disqualification if while on probation they fail to earn grades of sufficient quality to remove themselves from probationary status. Disqualification will bar such students from any further enrollment at the campus.

Administrative — Academic Probation

An undergraduate or graduate student may be placed on administrative-academic probation by action of appropriate campus officials for any of the following reasons:

1. Withdrawal from all or a substantial portion of a program of studies in two successive semesters or in any three semesters;
2. Repeated failure to progress toward the stated degree objective or other program objective (when such failure appears to be due to circumstances within the control of the student);
3. Failure to comply, after due notice, with an academic requirement or regulation which is routine for all students or a defined group of students (example: failure to take placement tests, failure to complete a required practicum).

Academic Disqualification

Undergraduate students on academic probation are subject to academic disqualification:

1. As freshmen (fewer than 30 semester-hours of college work completed), if their grade-point average falls below 1.5 on all units attempted or on all units attempted at California State University, Long Beach;
2. As sophomores (fewer than 59 semester-hours of college work completed), if their grade-point average falls below 1.7 on all units attempted or on all units attempted at California State University, Long Beach;
3. As juniors (60 to 89 semester-hours of college work completed), if their grade-point average falls below 1.85 on all units attempted or on all units attempted at California State University, Long Beach;
4. As seniors (90 or more semester-hours of college work completed), if their grade-point average falls below 1.95 on all units attempted or on all units attempted at California State University, Long Beach; and
5. At any time, if the student remains on academic probation for more than 2 consecutive semesters (i.e., the cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the end of 2 consecutive semesters).

In addition to the above disqualification standards applicable to students on probation, individuals not on probation may be disqualified when the following circumstances exist:

1. At the end of any semester, if the student has a cumulative grade-point average below 1.0; and
2. The cumulative grade-point average is so low that in view of the student’s overall educational record it seems unlikely that the deficiency will be removed within a reasonable period.

Disqualification From Impacted Programs

Students who fail to maintain an overall GPA of 2.0 will be immediately removed from an impacted major and placed in the undeclared category (Major Code 0000) or in a general category appropriate to the discipline. To be reinstated as majors in the impacted program, they must reapply at the time when change-of-major requests are normally accepted.

Administrative — Academic Disqualification

Students who have been placed on administrative-academic probation may be disqualified from further attendance if:

1. The conditions for removal of administrative-academic probation are not met within the period specified;
2. The students become subject to academic probation while on administrative-academic probation;
3. The students become subject to administrative-academic probation for the same or similar reason for which they have been placed on administrative-academic probation previously, although not currently in such status.

For students who subsequently become eligible for Reinstatement (see below), disqualification under the provisions of the preceding paragraphs constitutes a break in “continuous enrollment” within a degree major program; therefore, students disqualified may not elect regulations in effect prior to disqualification.


In order to be considered for reinstatement to the University, a disqualified student must demonstrate progress toward the degree. This demonstration can be achieved by:

1. Completing courses through University College and Extension Services at CSULB; or
2. Completing classes at other regionally accredited academic institutions.

All classes considered for reinstatement in the student’s petition must be applicable for degree credit and toward the student’s General Education or major requirements.
Progress toward meeting the GPA requirement can be demonstrated by reducing the deficiency in grade-point average by one-half at CSULB or by making equivalent grades in courses taken at other regionally accredited academic institutions. Grades earned at other regionally accredited academic institutions will not reduce the deficiency in the CSULB grade-point deficiency. Grades earned elsewhere are only indicators of academic ability.

After reducing the deficiency in the CSULB grade-point average and/or demonstrating academic ability at other regionally accredited academic institutions, the student may petition the Academic Appeals Committee for reinstatement. The petition must present evidence that the student is likely to achieve a satisfactory grade-point average and to complete requirements for the degree. The Academic Appeals Committee will only consider the petition for reinstatement of students who have remained outside of the university for at least one regular (fall or spring) semester after their dismissal. Disqualification from the University constitutes a break in residency and results in the loss of “catalog rights”; reinstatement does not automatically restore those rights under the election of regulations.

Petition forms are available at the Office of Enrollment Services and must be filed by December 1 for the spring semester or August 1 for the fall semester. Petitions received after that date will be returned to the student to be submitted for consideration for a future semester.

Academic Renewal

A student may petition to have all grades and units received during one or two semesters of undergraduate work disregarded in the computation of GPA and academic standing. The work so disregarded may have been taken at any collegiate-level institution but no work taken during the disregarded terms, even if satisfactory, may apply toward baccalaureate requirements. All grades and units attempted will remain on record. At least 5 calendar years must have elapsed since the work in question was completed and the student must have subsequently completed 15 semester units with a 3.0 GPA (or 30 semester units with a 2.5 or 45 semester units with a 2.0) at this University before filing a request for disregarding the course work.

Petitions for disregarding course work must be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services. Final determination will be made by the Vice President for Academic Affairs in consultation with the University Academic Appeals Committee. The petitioning student must certify that the work to be disregarded was not reflective of his or her present level of academic performance. This certification must include a statement explaining the extenuating circumstances causing the substandard performance during the term in question. The student must also provide evidence that it would be necessary to complete additional units and enroll for one or more additional semesters in order to qualify for the baccalaureate degree if the request were not approved. (PS 75-07)

Academic Appeals

Students may petition for exception to academic policy. Typically, exception requests involve issues such as record errors, General Education substitutions or waivers, exceptions to the repeat/delete policy, and academic renewal.

Students can obtain the “Petition for Exception to Academic Policy” forms from the Office of Enrollment Services, Brotman Hall Room 101, or the Academic Advising Center, Academic Services, room 124. This written appeal will be directed to the Academic Appeals Committee. Petitions must be filed with the Office of Enrollment Services, BH-101.

Withdrawal Policy

Students are held responsible for completion of every course in which they register OR FOR WITHDRAWING DURING THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF CLASSES FROM COURSES WHICH THEY DO NOT INTEND TO COMPLETE. Application for withdrawal from the University or from a class must be officially filed by the student at the Office of Enrollment Services whether the student has ever attended the class or not; otherwise, the student will receive a grade of “WU” (unauthorized withdrawal) in the course. Application for withdrawal is made at the Office of Enrollment Services.

Withdrawal during the first two weeks of instruction:

Students may withdraw during this period and the course will not appear on their permanent records.

Withdrawal after the second week of instruction and prior to the final three weeks of instruction:

Withdrawal during this period is permissible only for serious and compelling reasons. Approval signatures of the instructor and department chairperson are required. The request and approvals shall state the reasons for the withdrawal. Students should be aware that the definition of “serious and compelling reasons” as applied by faculty and administrators may become narrower as the semester progresses. Copies of such approvals are kept on file in the Office of Enrollment Services.

Withdrawal during the final three weeks of instruction:

Withdrawal during the final three weeks of instruction are not permitted except in cases such as accident or serious illness where the circumstances causing the withdrawal are clearly beyond the student’s control and the assignment of an Incomplete is not practical. Ordinarily, withdrawal in this category will involve total withdrawal from the campus except that a Credit/No Credit grade or an Incomplete may be assigned for courses in which sufficient work has been completed to permit an evaluation to be made. Request for permission to withdraw under these circumstances must be made in writing on forms available in the Office of Enrollment Services. The requests and approvals shall state the reasons for the withdrawal. These requests must be approved by the instructor, Department Chairperson, and Dean of the College. Copies of such approvals are kept on file in the Office of Enrollment Services.

Instructor Withdrawal:

Faculty members may drop students who fail to attend class during the first week of the semester. However, students should not presume that they will be dropped by the faculty member. Students who have registered for a class, but never attended, should verify whether or not they are officially enrolled. It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw officially from the class.

An instructor may also withdraw a student who has enrolled in a course requiring “permission of the instructor” or completion of prerequisites if the student has not properly secured this permission or satisfactorily completed the prerequisites before enrolling. (PS 02-02)

Medical Withdrawal

Complete Medical Withdrawal

The University may allow a student to withdraw without academic penalty from all classes if the following criteria are met:

A. A completed Medical Withdrawal Form, including any required documentation, is submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services before the end of the semester, and
B. The student presents evidence to demonstrate that a severe medical or debilitating psychological condition prevented the student from attending and/or doing the required work of the courses to the extent that it was impossible to complete the courses.

The Provost (or designee) will review the evidence presented and, in consultation with appropriate medical or psychological professionals as needed, determine whether the request for a medical withdrawal should be granted.

Repeat Complete Medical Withdrawal: If the student has been granted a complete medical withdrawal in the immediately preceding term, then additional medical withdrawal requests must consider the question of whether or not the student can complete appropriate educational objectives, and must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. After a repeat medical withdrawal is granted, the student may be required to obtain a clearance from an appropriate medical or psychological professional that states the student is well enough to return to classes with the full expectation that the student will be able to complete the semester and intended educational objectives.

Partial Medical Withdrawal

Students seeking withdrawal from part of their enrollment for any reason, including medical or psychological reasons, are subject to the normal withdrawal policy and process.

Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal From Institution

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the university's official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from the Office of Enrollment Services, Brotman Hall 123, 562-985-5471.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid funds withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.

Refund of Student Fees

Regulations governing the refund of student fees in the California State University system are prescribed by the CSU Board of Trustees; see California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Education, Section 41802.

Educational Leave

Any registered student, undergraduate or graduate, in good academic standing may request an Educational Leave. Students requesting an Educational Leave must complete an Educational Leave Form, in advance, including an explanation of their reasons for seeking the leave and a statement of when they intend to resume academic work. The completed form is to be submitted for approval to the student’s department chair (undergraduate) or graduate advisor. Undergraduate students who have not declared a major should submit the completed form to the University Advising Center.

The minimum initial leave will be one full semester; the maximum will be one calendar year. A student may submit, in advance, a new educational leave request form for an extension of leave. Under no circumstances will the total number of approved educational leaves exceed two, nor will the duration of approved educational leaves extend beyond two calendar years.

Students returning from an approved educational leave are not required to submit an application for readmission to the university. Students returning from an absence for which an educational leave was appropriate but not approved in advance must reapply for admission and pay the reapplication fee.

Graduate students who plan to enroll for credit at another institution of higher education during the leave period must obtain prior approval for the transfer of course credit to the student’s program from the department graduate advisor, department chair, and the College Dean or designee.

The period of an educational leave is counted in the calculation of elapsed time under the regulations governing the maximum period for completion of degree and remediation requirements. (See Baccalaureate and Graduate sections of this Catalog).

For the period of an educational leave the student’s rights under the “Election of Regulations” rule are preserved, maintaining the right of the student to elect regulations as if he or she had maintained continuous attendance.

An educational leave presupposes no expenditure of University resources or faculty and staff time in behalf of the student during the period of the leave. In addition, no computer facilities, no library privileges, and no student services are available to a student on educational leave. (PS 84-06)