Division ID
Skip links
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSmall fontMedium fontLarge font

Fees and Financial Aid


All of the most updated CSULB Fee information can be found here at the CSULB Enrollment Services Website.

Parking Fee

Parking at CSULB is limited. Parking permits are required 24 hours a day, Monday through Friday, and the vehicle code is enforced at all times. Please contact the Parking Office (562) 985-4146 for additional information.

To request a partial or full refund, attach all parking documents, permits stickers, decals and gate cards to the refund application and return to Student Account Services, Windows #8-10, Brotman Hall 148. Refer to the Schedule of Classes for deadline information. If parking documents are not available or have not been received, students MUST contact the Parking Administration Office located on Merriam Way adjacent to the parking structure. If any of these parking documents are affixed to the vehicle, their removal by a campus security officer or under the officer’s direction, shall constitute appropriate return. Attach all parking documents, permits stickers, decals and gate cards to the refund application and return to Student Account Services, BH 148 Window #8-10. There shall be no refund if such amount is less than $5.

There shall be no refund for:
1. Coin operated parking meters.
2. Daily permits for coin operated parking gates.
3. Special events.
4. Fees paid by monthly payroll deductions.


Students enrolled as auditors, not for credit, are exempt from payment of the application fee, but must pay fees appropriate to the number of units taken.


Total fees include the State University Fee, Non-Resident Tuition, other campus mandatory fees as well as course fees. Payment of fees is required 30 calendar days after registration, or approximately 12 days prior to the first day of instruction, whichever is earlier. For payment deadlines, refer to the Schedule of Classes. Payment must be received by the due date or the student’s registration request may be cancelled; postmarks are not accepted. Students who have not completed their registration before 12 days prior to the first day of instruction, must make payment within 24 hours of their registration.

Students are encouraged to make immediate payment to confirm their enrollment requests as classes fill quickly due to CSULB’s high enrollment. They may also make a payment before registering (i.e. a deposit), if they choose.

Payment can be satisfied by cash, check, Echeck, credit card, Financial Aid deferments, actual Financial Aid awards, approved payment plans, other approved fee deferments, approved private scholarships, approved tuition waivers, or confirmed third party sponsors. Payments can be made in the following ways:
• Check
– In person at the Cashiers Windows, Brotman Hall 148
– Mailed to the Cashiers, Brotman Hall 148, CSULB, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90840-0103
• Cash
– In person only at the Cashiers Window, Brotman Hall 148
• ECheck (self service over the web at http://my.csulb.edu)
• Credit Card
Payment of student fees can be made by credit card (Discover, American Express, or MASTERCARD - VISA not accepted - only) at:
– Self-Service/Smart Pay – over the web at http://my.csulb.edu (Smart Pay charges a 2.9% convenience fee)
– Self-Service over the web at http://my.csulb.edu
Payment of fees CANNOT be made if disputed credit card charges exist on your account.
Contact Student Account Services, Windows 8, 9, 10 for further information.

Short Term Loans

A limited number of short term loans to assist in paying for registration fees, books, or authorized emergencies are available to qualified students on a first come, first served basis. Information about this program is available at Brotman Hall 148, Cashiering Windows #8-10. Recorded Information is available by calling (562) 985-4167.

Installment Payment Plan

The Installment Payment Plan is available to all eligible students except financial aid recipients who have sufficient funds to cover the State University Fee. A $33 non-refundable charge is assessed to defer the administrative costs of the program. A 9% service charge is assessed to the deferred balance for non-resident tuition and international Visa students. An Installment Plan Contract must be obtained from Brotman Hall 148, Cashiering Windows #8-10 before submitting payment.

Refund of Fees Including Nonresident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in Section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide fees and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-support academic programs at the California State University. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-supported programs at the
California State University (courses offered through extended education) are governed by a separate policy established by the university.

In order to receive a full refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available in the Schedule of Classes.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the university's established procedures will receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of mandatory fees and nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes prior to the first day in accordance with the university's established procedures and deadlines.

Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition under the following circumstances:
• The tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected in error;
• The course for which the tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected was cancelled by the university;
• The university makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
• The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the university for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the chief financial officer of the university or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the university.
Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees may be obtained from the Student Account Services Office.

Refunds of Registration and Tuition Fees

Details regarding Registration and Tuition Fee Refunds may be found in the Schedule of Classes. As this information may differ from one semester to another, students are advised to refer to the Schedule of Classes for that particular semester. Students must complete the class drop or withdrawal process prior to becoming eligible for any credit of fees. The amount to be refunded is determined by the effective withdrawal or drop date. In addition, any other outstanding financial obligations that the student may have incurred will be deducted from any credits due to the student before a refund is processed. Refund deadlines are reflected in the Schedule of Classes.

A $10.00 processing fee will be withheld from the refunds.
Details regarding refunds due to Medical Withdrawals can be found in the Schedule of Classes.
Further details regarding fees that may be refunded and the circumstances under which they may be refunded may be obtained by consulting the California Code of Regulations, Title V, in the following sections:
Registration and Tuition Fees – Section 41802
Parking Fees – Section 42201
Housing Fees – Section 42019

The following fees are non-refundable: Late Fees, Application Fees, Disputed Credit Card Fees, Dishonored Check Fees, Student I.D. Card Replacement Fees, Late Payment Fees.

Special Circumstances Refunds

There are two levels of financial appeals. They are as follows:
I. Request for Refunds After Published Deadlines:
Students who withdraw or drop in units after the deadlines detailed in the Schedule of Classes have passed, may appeal for a Special Circumstances Refund based on the following:
1. Campus Variation
2. Compulsory Military Service
3. Death of Student
4. Fees Collected in Error
Further information regarding Special Circumstances Refunds may be obtained from the current semester’s Schedule of Classes or by calling the Student Account Services Office at (562) 985-4167.
II. Financial Appeals Independent Review Committee (F.A.I.R.)
If a student wishes to petition the decision made at the first appeal level, a written request must be submitted to the F.A.I.R. Committee (BH 155) for review.

This Committee has been approved by the President as the final financial appeal level. It consists of representatives from various University Offices. F.A.I.R. will only review appeals for the current academic year.

Determination of Residence for Nonresident Tuition Purposes

The campus Office of Enrollment Services is responsible for determining the residence status of all new and returning students for nonresident tuition purposes. Responses to the Application for Admission, Residency Questionnaire, and Reclassification Request Form, and, as necessary, other evidence furnished by the student are used in making this determination. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for resident classification will be classified as a nonresident.

The following statement of the rules regarding residency determination for nonresident tuition purposes is not a complete discussion of the law, but a summary of the principal rules and their exceptions. The law governing residence for tuition purposes at the California State University is found in California Education Code, sections 68000-68090, 68120-68134, and 89705-89707.5, and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41900-41916. This material can be viewed on the Internet by accessing the California State University's website at www.calstate.edu/GC/resources.shtml.

Legal residence may be established by an adult who is physically present in the state and who, at the same time, intends to make California his or her permanent home. Steps must be taken at least one year prior to the residence determination date to show an intent to make California the permanent home with concurrent relinquishment of the prior legal residence. The steps necessary to show California residency intent will vary from case to case. Included among the steps may be registering to vote and voting in elections in California; filing resident California state income tax forms on total income; ownership of residential property or continuous occupancy or renting of an apartment on a lease basis where one’s permanent belongings are kept; maintaining active resident memberships in California professional or social organizations; maintaining California vehicle plates and operator’s license; maintaining active savings and checking accounts in California banks; maintaining permanent military address and home of record in California if one is in the military service.

The student who is within the state for educational purposes only does not gain the status of resident regardless of the length of the student’s stay in California.
In general, an unmarried minor (a person under 18 years of age) derives legal residence from the parent with whom the minor maintains or last maintained his or her place of abode. The residence of an unmarried minor who has a parent living cannot be changed by the minor's own act, by the appointment of a legal guardian or by the relinquishment of a parent's right of control.

A married person may establish his or her residence independent of his or her spouse.

An alien may establish his or her residence, unless precluded by the Immigration and Nationality Act from establishing domicile in the United States. An unmarried minor alien derives his or her residence from the parent with whom the minor maintains or last maintained his or her place of abode.

Nonresident students seeking reclassification are required to complete a supplemental questionnaire including questions concerning their financial dependence, which will be considered along with physical presence and intent in determing reclassification.

The general rule is that a student must have been a California resident for at least one year immediately preceding the residence determination date in order to qualify as a “resident student” for tuition purposes. A residence determination date is set for each academic term and is the date from which residence is determined for that term. The residence determination dates are: Fall – September 20; Spring – January 25; Summer – June 1.

There are exceptions from nonresident tuition including:
1. Persons below the age of 19 whose parents were residents of California but who left the state while the student, who remained, was still a minor. When the minor reaches age 18, the exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident;

2. Minors who have been present in California with the intent of acquiring residence for more than a year before the residence determination date, and entirely self-supporting for that period of time. The exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident;

3. Persons below the age of 19 who have lived with and been under the continuous direct care and control of an adult or adults, not a parent, for the two years immediately preceding the residence determination date. Such adult must have been a California resident for the most recent year. The exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.;

4. Dependent children and spouse of persons in active military service stationed in California on the residence determination date. Graduate students are eligible for this exception for one academic year of continuous enrollment, the length of time necessary to establish California residency. There is no time limitation on this exception unless the military person transfers out of California or retires from military service. If either of those events happen, the student's eligibility for this exception continues until he or she resides in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident;

5. Military personnel in active service stationed in California on the residence determination date for purposes other than education at state-supported institutions of higher education. This exception is available to the graduate student military member for no more than one academic year of continuous enrollment, the length of time necessary to establish California residency. The undergraduate student military member is eligible for this exception for as long as he or she is stationed in California as an active member of the military.

6. Military personnel in active service in California for more than one year immediately prior to being discharged from the military. Eligibility for this exception runs from the date the student is discharged from the military until the student has resided in state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

7. Dependent children of a parent who has been a California resident for the most recent year. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident, so long as continuous residence is maintained at an institution.

8. Graduates of any school located in California that is operated by the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs, including, but not limited to, the Sherman Indian High School. The exception continues so long as continuous attendance is maintained by the student at an institution.

9. Certain credentialed, full-time employees of California school districts;

10. Full-time State University employees and their children and spouses; State employees assigned to work outside the State and their children and spouses. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a California resident;

11. Children of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties;

12. Certain amateur student athletes in training at the United States Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident;

13. Federal civil service employees and their natural or adopted dependent children if the employee has moved to California as a result of a military mission realignment action that involves the relocation of least 100 employees. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident;

14. State government legislative or executive fellowship program enrollees. The student ceases to be eligible for this exception when he or she is no longer enrolled in the qualifying fellowship.

15. Persons who have attended a California high school for at least three years and have graduated from a California high school or equivalent. Please Note: Those who hold non-immigrant visas (i.e. F, J, B, H, etc.) are not eligible for this exception. Those seeking this exception must fill out the Student Affidavit for Exemption of
Nonresident Tuition form, which is available at www.csulb.edu/enrollment. Once this exception is approved, it is not necessary to reapply each semester. This is the only exception for which this is true.

Students classified as non-residents may appeal a final campus decision within 120 days of notification by the campus. A campus residence classification appeal must be in writing and submitted to: The California State University, Office of General Counsel, 401 Golden Shore, 4th Floor, Long Beach, California 90802-4210. The Office of General Counsel can either decide the appeal or send the matter back to the campus for further review.

Students incorrectly classified as residents or incorrectly granted an exception from nonresident tuition are subject to reclassification as nonresidents and payment of nonresident tuition in arrears. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, the student is subject to discipline pursuant to Section 41301 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. Resident students who become nonresidents, or who no longer meet the criteria for an exception, and nonresident students qualifying for exceptions whose basis for so qualifying changes, must immediately notify the Admissions Office. Applications for a change in classification with respect to a previous term are not accepted.

The student is cautioned that this summation of rules regarding residency determination is by no means a complete explanation of their meaning. The student should also note that changes may have been made in the rate of nonresident tuition, in the statutes, and in the regulations between the time this catalog is published and the relevant residence determination date.

Changes in residency for tuition purposes are not automatic. Students wishing to apply for residence reclassification must submit a Residence Reclassification Request Form and supporting documentation. The filing period for a spring term is from October 1 through November1; the filing period for a fall or summer term is from March 1 through April 1. A ten-dollar late filing fee must accompany requests filed after the last date of the filing period. Under no circumstances will a reclassification request be accepted for a term that has ended.

Exceptions from nonresident tuition are valid for one semester only. Students must reapply for an exemption each semester. Forms are located at the Office of Enrollment Services, BH 101.

Financial Obligations and Holds

University offices, including but not limited to the Library, may request that a student reimburse the University for an item that was not returned, returned late or damaged; or they may impose other charges. The requesting office may ask the Student Account Services Office to post this charge to the student's account. Once posted it becomes an obligation to the student. Student Account Services will be able to provide general information concerning obligations. The student will be directed to the appropriate department in which to inquire about the obligation. Until all obligations are paid, or a written release from the originating office is received by the Student Account Services Office, a financial hold will be placed on academic records and the student is restricted from receiving University services, including but not limited to registration, grades, and transcripts. If the obligation continues to appear on the University reports, the student's name will be submitted to the Franchise Tax Board. In this case, the student or former student, permanently loses the privilege of submitting checks as payment for fees or services. (Acceptable methods of payment are cash, cashiers' check or money order). The State then has the authority to withhold amounts owed to the University from any tax refund to which the student may be entitled.

To pay your balance due – Cashier's Office, BH 148.

For information regarding the amount due – Student Account Services. BH 148, Window #8-10, or call Student Account Services at (562) 985-4167.

Dishonored Checks / EChecks

Students paying fees by personal check or Echeck are hereby given notice that if the unpaid check is returned dishonored to the University FOR ANY REASON, a $20.00 fee is charged to the student's account. The University has no control whether the bank sends checks through a second time for clearing. The check should be honored upon first presentation to the bank.

In compliance with California Code of Regulations, Title V, Section 42381, students with dishonored checks may be disenrolled from classes and may be required to reapply for admission to the University. Also, future services including, but not limited to, transcripts, grades, and future registration may be withheld.

Dishonored checks are monitored in the student's record. Any student with a record of two (2) dishonored checks or Echecks will lose check writing privileges with the University and future payments by personal check will not be accepted.

Disputed Credit Card Charge

Students are strongly encouraged to contact the Student Account Services Window #8-10 (BH 148), or call Student Account Services at (562) 985-4167, before disputing a credit card charge through the bank. Upon receipt of a disputed credit card charge, the amount of the credit card charge plus a $10.00 fee becomes the STUDENT'S financial obligation to the University. Payment of Registration fees with a credit card charge which has later been disputed may result in disenrollment and in withholding of future University services including, but not limited to, transcripts, grades, and future registration (California Code of Regulations, Title V, Section 42381). Students who are disenrolled may be required to reapply for admission to the University.

Fees and Debts Owed to the Institution

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the institution, the institution may withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise, or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the university are obligated for the payment of fees associated with registration for those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course. Fees are pro-rated based on the date of drop or withdrawal. Refer to the current Schedule of Classes for more information.

The institution may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact the Student Account Services Office. The Student Account Services Office, or another office on campus to which the Student Account Services Office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions.

Financial Assistance Information

There are a variety of financial aid programs to assist students and families with meeting expenses. The following information concerning student financial assistance may be obtained from Financial Aid, BH 101, (562) 985-8403:

1. A description of the federal, state, institutional, local, and private student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at CSULB;

2. For each aid program, a description of procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance, student eligibility requirements, criteria for selecting recipients from the group of eligible applicants, and criteria for determining the amount of a student’s award;

3. A description of the rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial assistance, including federal Title IV student assistance programs, and the criteria for continued student eligibility under each program;

4. The satisfactory academic progress standards that students must maintain for the purpose of receiving financial assistance and criteria by which a student who has failed to maintain satisfactory progress may reestablish eligibility for financial assistance;

5. The method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements;

6. The terms of any loan received as part of the student’s financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule, and the necessity for repaying loans;

7. The general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided as part of the student’s financial aid package;

8. The responsibility of CSULB for providing and collecting exit counseling information for all student borrowers under the federal student loan programs; and

9. The terms and conditions for deferral of loan payments for qualifying service under the Peace Corps Act, the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973, or comparable volunteer community service.

Information concerning the cost of attending California State University, Long Beach is available from the Office of Financial Aid, BH 101, (562) 985-8403, and includes fees and tuition (where applicable); the estimated costs of books and supplies; estimates of typical student room, board, and transportation costs; and, if requested, additional costs for specific programs.

Information concerning the refund policies of California State University, Long Beach for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges is available from the Controller, BH 365.

Information concerning policies regarding the return of federal Title IV student assistance funds as required by regulations is available from the Office of Financial Aid, BH 101, (562) 985-8403.

Information concerning athletic opportunities available to male and female students and the financial resources and personnel that CSULB dedicates to its men's and women's teams may be obtained from Cindy Masner, Sports Athletics and Recreation, 562-985-8527.

Information concerning teacher preparation programs at CSULB, including the pass rate on teacher certification examinations, may be obtained from either Elementary/Special Education Admission Advising, ED1 54, (562) 985-9259, Elementary Education: www.csulb.edu/cedinfo, Special Education: www.csulb.edu/colleges/colled/special-education, or Single Subject Office, ED 1 53, (562) 985-7623, www.csulb.edu/depts/singlesubj.

The Office of Financial Aid at CSULB provides both financial and advisory assistance to enable students to pursue a quality education despite increasing costs. It administers funds made available by the federal and state governments, CSU and by private sources that are awarded to students who demonstrate a need to cover educational expenses.

Due to limited funding, deadlines are critical. Students financial aid files must be complete before financial need can be determined. To receive maximum funding, students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 2.

Financial Aid Application

To apply for financial aid from CSULB, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is a multi-purpose form that also is used to apply for California Grants from the California Student Aid Commission and for Pell Grant funds from the federal government. The FAFSA must be mailed to a nationally designated processor. New students may obtain the FAFSA from high school counselors or local college financial aid offices. Students currently enrolled at CSULB may pick up the FAFSA from the Office of Financial Aid. Detailed information about CSULB financial aid programs is available in the Office of Financial Aid, BH 101, (562) 985-8403. The submission of various supportive documents may be required. These may include the following: (1) verification of all taxable and nontaxable income reported on the FAFSA; and (2) other clarifying information requested by the Office of Financial Aid. Upon receipt of all documentation, the applicant’s file is evaluated to determine eligibility for financial aid. A student is automatically considered for all programs for which he/she qualifies at the University by submitting the FAFSA, and appropriate supporting documents. All loan, grant and work programs are available for the academic year.

Financial Aid Eligibility

To determine financial aid eligibility, a standard needs analysis system is used. This system allows the Office of Financial Aid to analyze family financial strength and ability to contribute toward the cost of attending CSULB. Subtracted from the student’s educational expenses to arrive at financial need are: the parental contribution, the applicant’s (and spouse’s) contribution from employment, savings, a portion of assets and other resources. As long as program funds permit, a “package” consisting of various types of funds (grants, loans, work-study) is awarded to meet full need.

Although enrollment is assumed to be full-time, part-time students are eligible to receive aid if they carry a minimum of six undergraduate units, or 5 graduate level units.

Notification of Awards

Upon determination of eligibility, students are sent notice of a financial aid offer. Students are also notified if determined to be ineligible.
It is the goal of CSULB to package aid that fully meets the need of all qualified aid applicants. However, in the event that funds are insufficient, priority will be given to students whose financial aid files meet the first priority deadlines and who demonstrate the highest need.

Academic Responsibilities

Aid recipients must:
1. be in good academic standing;
2. make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree by earning credit for units attempted each semester; and
3. remain within the maximum time frame for the degree program in which the student is enrolled.

Aid eligibility is governed by the number of units attempted and successfully completed with a passing grade ("D" or better). Students who do not satisfactorily complete enough of their attempted units may be placed on financial aid probation or disqualified from receiving aid.

Most aid recipients enroll in a full-time program of study carrying 12 undergraduate units or 9 graduate level units (500-level courses or higher) per semester. To be considered an eligible financial aid applicant, students cannot have attempted more academic units than an established “unit limit.” At CSULB, the established unit limit is 150% of the published length of an academic program measured in units. The unit limit includes all attempted units. This includes units attempted as a recipient of financial aid as well as units attempted while not receiving aid. It also includes transfer units for those students who have attended colleges elsewhere, and any units of remedial coursework.

For complete information on CSULB's satisfactory progress policy, go to their web site at www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollment/financial_aid/sap_policy.html.

Financial Responsibilities

If you are determined ineligible for financial aid, you are responsible for the payment of any University obligations you may have, including fees.
Students who are receiving financial aid funds and completely withdraw from all of their classes, may have to repay all or part of the award they received. Students should check with the financial aid office to find out if they will owe a repayment, before withdrawing from all of their classes.

Campus Financial Aid Programs

Federal Perkins Loans

The Federal Perkins Loan is a federal program providing long-term, low interest loans to both graduate and undergraduate students. Repayment of loan principal and interest begins nine months after you cease to be enrolled at last half-time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The SEOG is a federally funded grant program for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The work-study program is a federally funded employment program to expand part-time job opportunities for students with financial need. Students are placed in jobs according to their skills, career and academic goals and must see the Office of Financial Aid for job referral. Positions are available on campus or with organizations off campus.

Educational Opportunity Program Grants

EOP grants are provided by the State of California for undergraduate students admitted to one of The California State University campuses under the Educational Opportunity Program. Eligibility is determined by the same need criteria as federal financial aid programs. Students also receive special academic counseling and tutorial assistance when needed. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Educational Opportunity Program Office on campus.

State University Grant

The State University Grant is funded by the State of California to assist students whose ability to attend postsecondary institutions is jeopardized by increases in student fees. Students must be residents of California, demonstrate financial need, and be assessed State University Fees to be eligible for this award.

Graduate Research Fellowships

The Graduate Research Fellowship is funded by the California State University to graduate students who have experienced educational or economic disadvantages or hardships. Applicants must be California residents, demonstrate financial need and be accepted into or continuing in a full-time graduate program. Limited awards are made through a competitive process.

University Scholarships

The Office of Financial Aid administers a limited number of small scholarships funded by CSULB. Other scholarships are funded by private donors, businesses, corporations, agencies, religious groups, and fraternal and civic organizations. Most scholarships are not based solely on financial need. They may be awarded on the basis of academic achievement, leadership, merit, motivations, and talent. Some scholarships are administered directly by the academic department for specific academic majors. Students may consult with their academic department or the Office of Financial Aid regarding scholarships available.

President's Scholars Program — Four Years

High school valedictorians may be eligible. Includes registration fees, housing, and book allowance – up to approximately $30,000 for four years.
National Merit Scholarship finalists may also be eligible. Includes registration fees, housing, food, and book allowance – up to approximately $40,000 for four years.
Applications are available from your high school counselor. For more information contact Valerie Bordeaux in the CSULB Office of University Outreach and School Relations at (562) 985-5358.

Outside Student Aid Programs

The following programs are administered by other agencies and coordinated by the Office of Financial Aid:

Cal Grant A

Cal Grant A is awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to entering and continuing undergraduate students who are California residents. Cal Grant A awards are based on academic achievement and financial need. Grants are used to offset State University Fees.

Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B is awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to entering undergraduate students who have not completed more than one semester of college. Applicants must be California residents, and must demonstrate substantial financial need. Grants vary depending on educational costs. Fees, in addition to the basic award, are normally provided in the second, third, and fourth years. The grant is renewable for four years.

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Pell Grant Program is a federal aid program designed to provide financial assistance to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need under the guidelines of the program. Teacher credential students in an eligible program may also qualify. Once a student is determined eligible for the Pell Grant, the amount of the award is based on the cost of education at the school attended and enrollment on a half-time, three-quarter-time, or full-time basis. Eligibility is limited to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.

Federal Stafford Loan

The Stafford Loan Program enables eligible students to obtain loans through banks, credit unions, and other lending institutions outside of the University. During the time the student is enrolled at least half-time, the federal government pays the interest on the cumulative amount borrowed if the loan is based on financial need. An unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is not based on financial need. Once funds are disbursed, the student is responsible for interest due on the loan while in school. The Parent Loan is available to parents of dependent undergraduate students. The parent's credit history is a determinant for participation in this program.

Information, brochures, advising, and application forms are available from BH 101, or phone (562) 985-8403.

Federal regulations allow any student to apply for the Federal Stafford Loan providing the student: 1) is enrolled and in good standing or has been accepted for enrollment at an eligible school; 2) is enrolled as at least a half-time student; and 3) is a citizen of the United States or an eligible non-citizen. Local lender policy is available from the Office of Financial Aid.

Fee Waivers

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees as follows:

Section 68120 – Children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships);

Section 66025.3 – Qualifying children, spouses/registered domestic partners, or unmarried surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service-connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; any dependents or surviving spouse/registered domestic partner who has not remarried of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet age and income restrictions; and

Section 68121 – Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001.

Students who may qualify for these benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Grants

Students who are at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut may apply for a BIA grant. The amount of the grant depends upon financial need and availability of funds. Students must complete an application for financial aid and then contact their tribe or tribal agency for an application.

Federal/State Regulations

The information contained in this publication accurately reflects regulations and policies at the time of printing. Be aware that Federal and State regulations governing financial aid processing and eligibility are subject to change at any time.

Other Types of Financial Assistance

Cooperative Education (Co-Op)

The Cooperative Education Office places students in career or academic related positions with corporations, businesses, agencies and institutions. Students are paid at normal entry-level wages. Minimum periods of employment for full-time Cooperative Education placements are one semester. For part-time placements, a minimum of 20 hours is required. Summer internships are also available. Contact the Experiential Learning Center, BH 250.

Student Part-Time Employment

Listings are available and assistance is offered in the Career Development Center to students interested in part-time employment. On-campus and off-campus positions are available.

Teaching Assistantships and Graduate Assistantships

Many CSULB departments have Teaching Assistant (TA) and/or Graduate Assistant (GA) positions available for qualified graduate students. Students should check in department offices or on the campus web site for more information.

Scholarship Information

The Center for Scholarship Information provides the following services to students: advising on the scholarship application process; access to a scholarship database containing information for on- and off-campus scholarships; proofing of scholarship applications, personal statements,and essays; access to the Internet and a typewriter. The Center also administers several scholarship programs and generates funds for scholarships. For more information see their web site at: www.csulb.edu/scholarships.