Division ID
Skip links
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSmall fontMedium fontLarge font

REC Information | REC Programs | REC Courses


Bachelor of Arts in Recreation (code REC_BA01) (120 units)

Academic Program

The curriculum is designed to prepare men and women for positions of supervision and administration in public recreation and parks, therapeutic recreation, outdoor education, voluntary youth and adult services, camp administration, special event planning and management, travel and tourism, commercial recreation, and armed forces recreation.

The curriculum includes courses selected to provide an understanding of human development, service management, and a variety of specialty areas within leisure service professions.

Departmental Policies

Each major student must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA on all units attempted and achieve a "C" or better in each course of the Recreation major to progress in the sequence of study. Students earning less than a “C” grade in a course required in the major must repeat that course.

Students wishing to substitute courses or deviate in any way from the Department requirements must submit a letter of request to the Department faculty. No more than six units of Recreation-prefix courses may be taken by contract. The Internship is "Letter grade only (A-F)." The Internship is taken the last semester before graduation. No other courses may be taken concurrently with the Internship.


Lower Division: REC 141, 225

Upper Division: REC 325, 341, 351, 421, 423, 425, 427, 431, 480, 498.

Additional Courses: Each major student is required to complete courses in the following groups: REC 100 or 300; Choose one from the following: HDEV 307I, 357I, or PSY 370; Choose 15 units from the following: REC 215, 321, 322, 324, 337, 340I, 371, 407, 410, 428, 430, 433, 451, 452, 454, 458, 462, 468, 469, 473, 490, 499. Choose 3 units form collaborative fields with advisor approval, such as CAFF, CDFS, CRIM, EDP, FCS, FCSE, FMD, FSCI, HFHM, KIN, NUTR, SW.

Minor In Recreation (code REC_UM01)

A minimum of 21 units approved by the departmental minor advisor which must include: REC 141, 225, 321, 340I, 351 and two of the following: REC 220, 322, 324, 337, 371, 428, 430, 431, 433, 462, 473, or 490 with consent of the advisor.

Certificate Programs

The certificate programs offered by the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies are available to both undergraduate and graduate students, as well as students who already possess a baccalaureate degree and are enrolling in a certificate program, unless otherwise noted. Students pursuing an approved degree at CSULB may complete the certificate programs concurrently with their degree or subsequent to their degree by enrolling as a certificate student. Courses taken to meet the requirements of a certificate may also be used, where appropriate, to meet the General Education requirements or the degree requirements of cooperating departments. Extension and/or transfer credit may comprise no more than one-fourth of the course work used to meet baccalaureate certificate requirements. Students wishing to pursue a certificate should contact the department to schedule a meeting with the certificate advisor.

Certificate in Therapeutic Recreation (code REC_CT01)

Therapeutic recreation has been identified as one of the fastest growing fields of employment. Recreational therapists work in clinical and community settings using recreation as a tool to assist post-injury rehabilitation and to improve quality of life for people with disabilities. State and National Certification in therapeutic recreation is often required for employment in this field; the curriculum of this certificate program prepares students for the California Board of Recreation and Park Certification exam and for the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification exam. A baccalaureate degree, which may be awarded concurrently, is required for completion of this certificate program.

Core requirements: REC 325, 351, 341, 451, 452, 454, 458, and 498.

Additional courses: 18 to 19 units, which must be taken with approval from the certificate advisor. This includes an anatomy/physiology course (3 - 4 units); abnormal psychology (3 units); a human growth and development across the lifespan course (3 units); and upper division support courses (9 units) from any of the following areas: sociology, psychology, educational psychology, health science, adapted physical education, anthropology, biology, communication studies, family and consumer sciences, gerontology, human development, kinesiology/physical education, occupational studies, social work, and special education

Certificate in Administration of Campus Recreation and Student Service Programs (code REC_CT05)

Campus Recreation and Student Services is a growing field in elementary, secondary and higher education, as it relates to the co-curricular programs offered in support of the educational program, both in public and private institutions. The Certificate enhances professional development in Student Services such as Student Activities, Student Leadership Development, Residential Life, Student Community Service Volunteer Programs, and Intramurals and Recreational Sports; and Campus Services such as Conferences, Scheduling, Event Planning, and Alumni Relations. For those looking to be Certified Recreation Sports Specialist through NIRSA the courses will prepare them for the certification examination.

Twenty-four (24) units of core requirements including: REC 321, 322, 324, 325, 421, 427, 485; and one (3 unit) evaluation course: REC 341 or equivalent. The remaining six (6) units are electives which must be taken with approval of the advisor of the certificate program. These may include REC, KIN, HDEV, or HRM courses.

Certificate in Management of Nonprofit and Volunteer Services (code REC_CT02)

Nonprofit organizations require trained professionals to meet the demanding need of managing effective organizations and programs. This certificate program prepares students for employment as managers of nonprofit organizations and volunteer services.

Core requirements: REC 325, 421, 425, 427/527, 428/528, 498.

Additional courses: 6 units of elective courses addressing youth development, communication skills, marketing, evaluation, or working with diverse populations which must be taken with approval of the advisor of the certificate program.

Certificate in Administration of Outdoor Recreation Resources (code REC_CT03)

Outdoor recreation includes both the provision of recreation programs in the outdoors and the management of the parks and public lands that serve as the settings for these recreation experiences. Recreation program management and land management are distinct fields that must work cooperatively. This certificate program prepares students for careers in these interrelated fields. The curriculum includes courses selected to provide an understanding of outdoor recreation behavior, outdoor education, resource management policies, and an introductory understanding of natural science.

Core Requirements: REC 427, 430, 431; REC 337 or SCED 401; REC 433, 485, or 499.

Additional courses: 9 units of elective courses from biology, geology, or geography which must be taken with approval of the advisor of the certificate program.

Certificate in Administration of Travel and Tourism (code REC_CT04)

Travel and tourism is a very large and growing field in which there are usually many opportunities for well-trained individuals. This certificate program provides instruction in the history and theoretical bases of tourism, including its economics, psychology, and sociology as well as the political and legal aspects. The fundamentals of business, food and food service technology, the performing arts, and resource management are themes throughout the program.

Core requirements: REC 462, 468; REC 485 or 498; FCS 270, GEOG 352.

Additional courses: 6 units of upper division courses listed in the University Catalog under the Regional category in the Department of Geography or 6 units of a foreign language; plus 3 additional upper division units selected in consultation with the advisor of the certificate program.


Master of Science in Recreation Administration (code REC_MS01)

The Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies offers a program of graduate studies leading to the Master of Science degree in Recreation Administration. The program helps prepare professional personnel who are competent managers of private and public agencies and programs, who can conduct research and evaluation of recreation services, and who can contribute to the development of a professional philosophy of leisure. Unusually fine opportunities exist in Long Beach and Southern California for interaction with recreation agencies of all kinds.


Students seeking admission to the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies Graduate Program should have an undergraduate degree and a desire for graduate study. Applicants must apply for admission to the Recreation and Leisure Studies Department in addition to being admitted by the Office of Admissions and Records.

The following items must be completed for admission:

1. Applicants must meet the criteria for acceptance by the University as a graduate student as outlined in the CSULB Catalog;
2. Every applicant (new or continuing) must apply to the Office of Admissions and Records to obtain admission to the University with graduate standing. Applications are available on line (http://www.csumentor.edu/);
3. Every applicant must also apply to the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies, by sending the following to the Graduate Coordinator in the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies:
A. A copy of the graduate application sent to the Office of Admissions and Record;
B. Official transcripts of all undergraduate course work;
C. A copy of the applicant’s current resume and a statement of professional goals;
D. Three letters of recommendation from persons able to testify to the applicant’s academic ability.

Admitted graduate students must contact the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies Graduate Coordinator for advisement early in their first semester of enrollment in order to develop an approved program of study.


Graduate students must complete the following prerequisites before advancing to candidacy:

1. A bachelor’s degree with a major in recreation; or,
2. A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 24 units of upper division courses comparable to those required in the undergraduate recreation major at this University. (Students deficient in undergraduate preparation must take courses approved by the department Graduate Coordinator to remove these deficiencies.)
3. Any deficiencies will be determined by the department graduate coordinator review of the student’s transcript records, and consultation with the student’s faculty advisor and the student.

Advancement to Candidacy

The following are required for student to advance to candidacy:

1. Enrollment in the semester or summer session in which advancement takes place;
2. Completion of the general University requirements for advancement to candidacy, as specified in this bulletin.
3. Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR);
4. Satisfactory completion of REC 521, 571, 591, 595, 696 with a minimum grade of “B” in each of the courses.
5. After consultation with the student’s graduate advisor, determination of whether the student will complete the thesis option or project option.
6. Approval of the student’s graduate program by the Department Graduate Advisor and Associate Dean for the College of Health and Human services.


The core requirements for a masters of science in recreation administration are REC 521, 571, 591, 595, and 696. In addition to the core classes, students are required to complete elective units and thesis or project units. The thesis option requires one unit of REC 599 and four units of REC 698, plus 12 units of electives. The project option requires three units of REC 698 plus 20 units of electives. Elective courses are to be selected after consultation with the graduate advisor. A maximum of 6 units may be taken from 300 or 400-level courses in Recreation designated with a * in CSULB Catalog. Undergraduate courses that are not designed with a * may not be applied toward the master’s degree. Up to six units of graduate work may be transferred from another accredited university or another department in CSULB. Transfer credit must be a “B” or better. All students must earn a grade of “A” or “B” for each required course. Students may not have more than 6 units of “C” grades apply toward the master’s degree. Advancement to candidacy is necessary before REC 697 or 698 can be taken.

Thesis or Project

The thesis or project is a supervised experience in the application of theory and analytical tools to an issue in recreation and leisure services.

The thesis should prepare students for further graduate work or research in the field. The project should provide an experience that is directly applicable to an occupation in recreation and leisure services. The thesis is a written product of the systematic study of a significant problem. It clearly identifies the problem, states the major assumptions, explains the significance of the undertaking, sets forth the sources for and methods of gathering information, analyzes the data, and offers a conclusion or recommendation. The finished product evidences originality, critical and independent thinking, appropriate organization and format, and thorough documentation. The thesis is supervised by a committee of three, including the Thesis Chair, who must be a full-time tenure-track or tenured faculty member in the Recreation and Leisure Studies Department, and two other faculty members.

The project is a significant undertaking appropriate to the professional field. It evidences originality and independent thinking, appropriate form and organization, and a rationale. It is described and summarized in a written report that includes the project’s significance, a review of the literature, objectives, methodology, and a conclusion or recommendation. The finished product evidences originality, critical and independent thinking, appropriate organization and format, and thorough documentation. The coursework is supervised by a committee of three, including the Project Chair, who must be a full-time tenure-track or tenured faculty member in the Recreation and Leisure Studies Department, and two other faculty members.

Graduate Certificate in Leisure Counseling (code REC_CT06)

Leisure and recreation experiences add quality and enjoyment to life. When individuals experience significant changes in their lives, often through retirement or disabling injuries, they may need counseling to identify and develop leisure skills appropriate to their new life situations. This certificate program prepares students to use counseling techniques to enhance quality of life through leisure.

Admission/Prerequisite: Persons holding a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Recreation or Therapeutic Recreation or a related allied health field (e.g. Occupational Therapy, Music Therapy, Gerontology, Psychology, Adapted Physical Education, Counseling); two years verified experience in counseling approved by the program advisor.

Core requirements: REC 454/554, 503, 590; EDP 532, 533.

Additional courses: 3 units which must be taken with approval of the advisor of the certificate program.