Creating and Editing Quizzes
Table of Contents
Basics of Creating a Quiz
Creating quizzes for your course involves a series of steps. Each of these steps is described in greater detail in related sections. The basic procedures can be broken down into the following parts:
- Create your quiz questions You can create questions in either (A) the Question Library, or (B) by importing them from a text file, Respondus, or other quiz software.
- Create a quiz Create a quiz by: (A) Defining a quiz name and general properties, (B) establishing the quiz restrictions, (C) establishing the quiz attempts, (D) establishing the quiz reports, (E) populating your quiz with questions, and (F) setting up the quiz layout.
- Preview and release the quiz.
Create or edit a quiz
- From within your course, click the Quizzes link in the course navbar.
- Click the
New Quiz icon to create a new quiz, or select the name of the quiz you want to edit from the list.
Setting up quiz properties
The quiz Properties tab will display by default when you create or edit a quiz.
- Enter a name for your quiz in the Name field.
- You can create categories to group your quizzes together by adding categories and then selecting them from the Category drop-down list (optional).
- Select a Grade Item from the drop-down list or create a grade item by clicking the add grade item link. Associating a grade item with a quiz allows quiz results to be automatically linked to the Grades tool.
- Select the box next to Auto Export Grades in order to send auto-graded attempt scores directly to the grade book. (this requires that a grade item is associated with the quiz). (If this option is not selected you will have to manually update the quiz results).
- Add a Rubric by clicking the Add Rubric button or click the Create Rubric in New Window link to create a rubric. See Rubrics for more information.
- Select the box next to Automatic Grade to allow the quiz attempt grade to be seen immediately after the user has completed and submitted the quiz. The displayed score is limited by what the system can auto-grade.
- Note: If this option is not selected, then students will not see any feedback left for them.
- This setting must be turned on for grades to be automatically sent to the grade book and for the default submission view to be released to users when they complete an attempt.
- Click the Expand Optional Advanced Properties link:
- Check Hints to enable question hints. The actual hints must be set up within each question (optional).
- Enter your email address in the Notification Email field if you want to be notified when a user submits a quiz for marking (can be your Learning Environment or an external email address) (optional).
- Check Disable Right-Click to prevent users from right-clicking on a PC (or control-clicking on a Mac) when taking a quiz (optional).
- Check Disable Pager Access to prevent users from sending or receiving of pager messages while taking this quiz (optional).
- Click the Expand Messages link:
- Description field: select On to activate and enter a message that is displayed to users prior to quiz availability (optional).
- Introduction: select On to activate and enter a message to display a message to users immediately before they start the quiz (optional).
- Click the Expand Page Header/Footer if you want to add a page header and footer
- Select On next the the desired fields and enter the text into the proper fields.
- Click Save Quiz.
Setting up quiz restrictions
Use the options located under the Restrictions tab to set up the availability and timing of your quiz.
- Click on the Restrictions tab.
- In the Availability section:
- Set the Status as Active. Users can only see quizzes that have been set to Active status.
- Select the checkbox next to Has Start Date, then choose a start date using the drop-down lists or the calendar icon. If you do not want your quiz to a specific start date, then do not select checkbox.
- Select the checkbox next to Has End Date, then choose an end date using the drop-down lists or the calendar icon. If you do not want your quiz to have a specific end date, then do not select checkbox.
- Select Display in Schedule if you would like the dates to show in the course calendar. (Option only available if you have a set Start or End date)
- In the Additional Conditions section:
- Add release conditions in the (if applicable). Release conditions allow you to set requirements that must be met before taking the quiz.
- Example You could create a release condition that requires users to view a certain content topic before they can attempt the quiz.
- Click Attach Existing to add a release condition that you have already created in the Conditional Release area or in another tool.
- Click Create and Attach to create a new release condition and associate it with this quiz.
- Note You must save your quiz before you can add release conditions. See Setting up release conditions, for details on release conditions and how to use them in your course.
- Choose whether access to the quiz is dependent on meeting all or any of your conditions.
- Click the Expand Optional Advanced Restrictions link to add extra restrictions to your quiz.
- To require users to enter a password to attempt the quiz, enter a password in the Password field (optional).
- To restrict quiz access to users from a certain location, enter an IP address in the IP Restriction fields (optional).
- In the Timingsection:
- Set a time limit for your quiz by typing the applicable number of minutes in the Time Limit field. The default time limit is 120 minutes.
- Choose to enforce the time limit by checking the corresponding box (Optional).
- Choose to show a clock by checking the corresponding box (Optional).
- Type a Grace Period in the text field. This value determines how many minutes the user has after the time limit has expired to submit their quiz before it is flagged as late. The default is set to 5 minutes.
- Select Allow for normal submissions to let users submit quizzes even if the time limit and grace period have expired. Submissions after the grace period are flagged as late.
- If you select Use Late Limit and select an amount of time, users are given a grade of zero if they submit the quiz after the time limit + grace period + late limit period.
- Select Auto-Submit Attempt to have the system automatically submit a quiz after the specified time limit and grace period have expired.
- In the Advanced Availability section:
(IMPORTANT- Only use this option to in special circumstances. Special Access feature allows you to override the availability and timing settings of a quiz for specified users.)
Example Special Access - Accommodate Users with Special Needs
- Increase the quiz time limit for special-needs users
- Allow individual users to have different start and end dates.
- Change the quiz availability dates for a make-up quiz.
- Advanced Availability:
- Select Allow selected users special access to this quiz
Select Allow only users with special access to see this quiz
- After you have selected one of the options, Click the Add Special Access button to add special access permissions.
- Check the boxes beside any of the special access types, and fill in the appropriate fields. Special access can include a unique start and end date, time limit, grace period, and submission requirements. For example, if you want to provide an extended grace period to users that have special access, check Assign special grace period and fill in the applicable time limit (in minutes) in the Grace Period text box.
- Check the boxes beside the users you want to assign special access to.
- Click Add Selected.
- Click Save Quiz.
Warning When the Auto-Submit Attempt option is active, the system submits all questions saved before the time limit plus the grace period, has expired. However, any questions that have not been saved before this time limit has expired, even if they have been answered, will not be submitted. Users must ensure that they are saving their answers before the time limit expires.
Setting up quiz attempts
Here you can specify attempts and overall grade calculation:
- Click on the Attempts tab.
Choose the number of attempts allowed from the drop-down list.
Choose which attempt is included in the grade calculation from the Overall Grade Calculation drop-down list. The attempt calculated can be the highest, lowest, first, last, or average.
- If you choose to allow more than one attempt and not unlimited attempts, you have the option of setting Advanced Attempt Conditions. Use the advanced attempt conditions to restrict the user from access to further attempts until they have achieved a specified score on the previous attempt.
- Click Save.
Adding Questions to a Quiz and Setting up the Quiz Layout
- Choose options in the Layout/Questions tab to add or remove questions or sections from your quiz:
- Click on the Layout/Questions tab from within a quiz.
- Click the Add/Edit Questions button.
- Create Sections for your quiz by choosing Section from the Create New drop-down list and click Go.
- Import questions from your Question Library by clicking the Import icon.
- Choose Question Library in the Source Collection drop-down list.
- In the Source Section drop-down list, choose Collection Root to show all of the questions and sections in your Question Library, or choose a specific section. Questions from your library display on the page.
- Check the boxes beside the questions you want to import.
- Click Save.
- Create questions in your quiz using the Create New drop-down list..
- Click Back to Quiz Layout/Questions to return to the Layout/Questions tab for your quiz.
- Set how many questions are displayed per page by typing the desired value in the Questions Per Page entry box and clicking Go.
- To manually insert a page break in the quiz, click on the small gray arrow between the questions where you want the page break to be. The gray arrow and line will turn blue, indicating the page break.
- Tip Using a small number of questions per page reduces page load time.
- Click Save Quiz.
Editing the properties of multiple quizzes
It is now easier to manage multiple quizzes at the same time. You can edit common properties such as name, status, availability, and number of attempts allowed
- On the Manage Quizzes page, select the quizzes you want to edit.
- Click the
Quick Edit icon. The Quick Edit page displays.
- On the Quick Edit page, you can change the quiz name, category, active status, and number of attempts allowed. Make your changes and click Save.