Dropbox allows you to set up folders that students submit their assignments to. This eliminates the need to collect assignments physically or through email and helps you track of assignments and when they are submitted.
You can set up separate dropbox folders for each assignment and restrict access to the folders by date and time, group membership, or special access permissions. Once assignments are submitted, you can download assignments as zip files, sort assignments by users, check submission times, grade assignments, leave feedback, and return submissions with comments, all from within the Dropbox tool.
Creating dropbox categories and folders
Creating a dropbox folder
Dropbox folders are where users submit assignments. You can set up dropbox folders for each of your assignments and set start dates, end dates, and release conditions; set up special access; and associate folders with competency activities.
- From the Folder List page, click
- Enter a Name for the folder.
- Choose a Folder Type:
Individual submission folder - Select this option if you want each user to submit their own assignment.
Group submission folder - Select this option if you want one assignment submitted per group. Groups must be created first through the Groups tool (under Edit Course or added to the course navbar).
- Note: Group dropbox areas are marked on the Folder List page with the Group Submissions icon. Any group member can submit and view files for a group dropbox.
- Assign the folder to a Category, if desired.
- Click the New Category link to create a new category if the desired category has not yet been created.
- Associate the folder with a Grade Item if you want submitted assignments to be tied to an item in your grade book. If connected, scores and feedback entered in the Dropbox Leave Feedback area will automatically be sent to Grades.
- Click the New Grade Item link to create a new grade item for the assignment. (See Creating a grade item, for more information.)
- Enter the maximum amount of points in the box next Out of:.
- Note: You must still enter points here even though you already did in the Grade Item and the amount of points must be the same as the Grade Item selected.
- Add a Rubric by clicking the Add Rubric button or click the Create Rubric in New Window link to create a rubric. Rubrics must be built within BeachBoard to be attached to a folder. Then select the Default Scoring Rubric using the dropdown menu. (Optional) See Rubrics for more information.
- Add any instructions about submitting the assignment in the Custom Instructions text box.
- Select whether you want users to be able to include dropbox submissions as artifacts in the ePortfolios.
- Attach any files that you want to make available to users from the Dropbox folder by clicking the Add a File button (for example, a sample assignment). Browse your computer for the selected file. Click Add Another File if you wish to add more files. Finally, click Upload to upload your file(s).
- To record up to a minute of audio, click Record Audio. This will open a pop-up window where you will record your audio. Click Allow in the Adobe Flash Player Settings to allow BeachBoard to use your microphone (whether external or internal) to record sound. When ready, click the Record button and record your audio clip. Press the same button (now Pause) to pause/stop recording. Press the Play button to listen to your audio clip. You can clear your previous recording by clicking Clear. When finished, click Add in the lower right corner to attach your audio clip to your submission.
- Click Save when finished setting the Properties of your Dropbox folder.
Creating a dropbox category
You can organize your dropbox folders into categories to make it easier for users to navigate the dropbox. For example, you could create separate categories for each course unit or for different types of assignments.
- From your Course Navigation, click the Dropbox link.
- From the Folder List page, click
New Folder create a new folder or the pencil to the far right of an existing folder to edit that folder.
- On the Properties tab, click the New Category link beside the Category field.
- Enter a Name for the category.
- Click Save.
- Click the New Category link again to create another category, if desired.