- The Statistical Package for the Social Sciences or SPSS is a statistical software program used primarily in the social sciences.
- Recently purchased by IBM, SPSS continues to be a significant analytical tool in undergraduate and graduate research methods courses.
||Windows and Macintosh. View system requirements.
|Faculty & Staff
|Software Depot Installation Policy
California State University, Long Beach participates in the CSU SPSS License. It is an annual subscription coordinated by Academic Technology Services. The SPSS license use agreement period is July 1 through June 30 of each year.
Faculty and staff are eligible to install and use SPSS on their campus and home computers. This software can only be installed on personally owned computers used primarily for CSULB business in addition to university owned computers.
||Software install always requires administrative privileges of which you may not have on your university owned computers. Please contact your division, department or college technologist for assistance.
- SPSS 18 and SPSS 19 for Windows and Macintosh will be supported in 2011-2012.
- Likewise, SPSS AMOS 18 and AMOS 19 for Windows will be supported in 2011-2012.
- Earlier versions of SPSS and AMOS have been discontinued.
Students are not eligible to install SPSS on their personal computers. Students can use the software wherever it is installed on campus-owned computers such as the campus computer labs.
Students can lease or purchase SPSS through the University Computer Store or via the SPSS website. Before buying an SPSS student version, compare the lease options at www.e-academy.com . Students can download and install Minitab or SAS (also available at the Library Reserve Desk) from CSULB Software Depot as these are licensed for student use.
Visit the SPSS website or the AMOS website to learn about its products and features.
SPSS can be downloaded from the Software Depot. The Software Depot steps are listed below.
- Log into Software Depot using your MYCSULB account name and password.
- Click "Start Shopping" and scroll through the directory of products and select the newest release of SPSS.
- The default tab is for the Windows platform. Click the Macintosh tab if you need SPSS for the Macintosh.
- Click "Add to Cart".
- Click "Check Out".
- Click "I Accept"
- Click "Proceed with Order"
- Click "Download Options" noting that the authentication product code needs to copied as you will need it during the installation process.
- Click on "IBM SPSS Statistics 19 for Windows (32-bit)" noting that you can also return and download the latest patch.
- Click "Start Download" noting that SPSS will be saved in the C:\temp Directory.
- A security warning will appear - click "Run".
- Another security warning will appear - click "Run"
- Click "Launch Install" after the software has been downloaded and the files will be extracted.
- Click "Next" to proceed with the installation of SPSS.
- Follow the screens noting that you will need Internet access to authenticate SPSS.
For SPSS for Windows, see the installation instructions for details.
For SPSS for Macintosh, see the installation instructions for details
Please submit questions, problems or suggestions regarding the SPSS license.