Associate Chair, BCCM + Music History + Graduate Advisor
Alicia Doyle is an Associate Professor of musicology, graduate adviser and associate chair in the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music. Specializing in medieval liturgical music, 20th-century Latin American popular and art music, and music appreciation, Dr. Doyle teaches courses in music history, world music, and music appreciation at California State University, Long Beach. Dr. Doyle received her Bachelors degree in Music Performance (Horn) from the University of Southern California where she studied with James Decker. She received her Masters degree in Musicology from the University of California at Santa Barbara under the advising of Dr. William Prizer. Her thesis focused on Florentine carnival music from 1500-1510. Dr. Doyle’s Ph.D. was also from the University of California at Santa Barbara. Her dissertation, a study of a tenth-century Aquitanian troper, was completed under the direction of Dr. Alejandro Planchart.
Since her arrival at CSULB in 2003 she has been an active scholar and her work in medieval music, world music and music appreciation (and lampshades!) has been published widely. Ranging from the middle ages to the present in content, her publications include:
Instructor’s Resource Manual.Ancillary material to Kristine Forney and Joseph Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music. 11th ed. New York: W.W. Norton Inc., 2011.
Online Quizzes,eMedia ancillary material to Kristine Forney and Joseph Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music. 11th ed. New York: W.W. Norton Inc., 2011.
John Adams. Doctor Atomic.DVD (Blu-ray) (review). in Notes—Quarterly Journal of the Music Library Association (March 2010)
Plácido Domingo: My Greatest Roles.DVD. (review). in Notes—Quarterly Journal of the Music Library Association (March 2010)
Amor, Vida de Mi Vida.DVD. (review). in Notes—Quarterly Journal of the Music Library Association (March 2010)
Let There Be Light: Liturgical Manuscripts at Hearst Castle.In Sleuthing the Music: Essays in Honor of William F. Prizer. Hillsdale, NY: Pendragon Press (forthcoming, 2009).
The Full Monteverdi.in Notes—Quarterly Journal of the Music Library Association Volume 65, Number 3, March 2009, pp. 552-553 (Review).
J.S. Bach’s Mass in b minor.Program notes for the Los Angeles Bach Festival, 2008.
The Sanctus Trope Deus pater ingenitus in Paris Bibliothèque Nationale fonds Latin, 1118: Further evidence of a Southern OriginStudi Musicali (Rome), 2008.
Materials of Music Interactive Exercises,eMedia concept design for ancillary material to Kristine Forney and Joseph Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music. 10th ed. New York: W.W. Norton Inc., 2007.
- Instructors Resource Manual and PowerPoint Slides. Ancillary material to Kristine Forney and Joseph Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music. 10th ed. New York: W.W. Norton Inc., 2007.
Thy Kiss of a Divine Nature: The Contemporary Pérotin.(review) in Notes—Quarterly Journal of the Music Library Association 63, No. 1 (September 2006): 164-166.
Instructor’s Resource Manualand
PowerPoint slides.Ancillary material to Kristine Forney and Joseph Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music. 9th ed. New York: W.W. Norton Inc., 2003.
Dr. Doyle has presented her work locally, nationally and internationally. Her list of recent scholarly presentations include:
College Music Society
- September of 2010 53rd National Meeting of the College Music Society (Minneapolis, MN): Seeing What You Hear: Using Thinking Maps to Integrate Content Learning in Music Appreciation Courses.
- College Music Society International Conference, June 13-17, 2005 at the Alcalá de Henares (Madrid), Spain:
El Mariachi Canta: Elements of Mexican Sones in the Music of Silvestre Revueltas and El Grupo de los Cuatro
International Conference on Arts & Humanities
- 11th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts & Humanities, January 2011 (Honolulu, HI): Gothic Music at Hearst Castle: William Randolph Hearst’s Liturgical Lampshades
- 7th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts & Humanities, January 2009 (Honolulu, HI): On-Demand Instruction: Incorporating Enhanced Podcasts and YouTube Videos in Music Courses.
- 5th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts & Humanities, January 2007 (Honolulu, HI):
Mexico Canta: Evidence of Mestizo Culture in 20th-Century Mexican Art Music.
Medieval and Renaissance Societies
- Medieval and Renaissance Music Conference, July 17–20, 2006 at the University of Cambridge (UK):
Issues of Transmission of Tenth-Century Southern French Liturgical Music: Examining the Role of Northern Spain
- 32nd Annual Sewanee Medieval Colloquium. April 8, 2005 at the University of the South:
Singing Praise for the Apostle Martial in the Tenth and Eleventh Centuries: Whose Music?
- International Congress on Medieval Studies. May 9, 2003 at the University of Western Michigan (Kalamazoo, Michigan):
The Tropes for the Feast of St. Martial and St. Martin in Tenth-and Eleventh-Century Aquitania
- Conference held in honor of Alejandro Enrique Planchart. April, 2002 at the University of California at Santa Barbara:
The Sanctus Trope Deus pater ingenitus in Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale fonds Latin 1118: Further Evidence of Southern Origin
American Musicological Society
- American Musicological Society Pacific Southwest Chapter. February 28, 2004 at Scripps College (Claremont, CA):
Borrowing from Martin to Praise Martial: The Usurping of a Repertory(Refereed)
- American Musicological Society Southwest Chapter. April 2002 at the University of Houston (Houston, Texas):
The Sanctus Tropesin Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale fonds Latin 1118: A Comparative Study of Tenth Century Aquitanian Concordances
She is also a popular pre-concert lecturer, having spoken to audiences of the Long Beach Symphony Orchestra, The Los Angeles Bach Festival and the El Paso Symphony.