- For Current Students
- For Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Professional Tracks
- Environmental Geology
- Petroleum Geology
- Engineering Geology
- IHS Kingdom Suite
- Professional Associations
Department of Geological Sciences
Events and Announcements
- The Fourth Annual Student Research Poster Session will be held in April in the Hall of Science, sponsored once again by the South Coast Geological Society. This event will feature posters of research in which students have participated. Awards for excellence will be presented for outstanding work and presentation.
- Check out our introductory video of the Geology Department that played at GSA last spring.
- The Department of Energy Geothermal Technologies Program awarded CSULB a $505,000 grant to develop and test new hydraulic testing methods. For more information click here.
- The Graduation Day Geology Open House will held again this May. Academic Excellence awards will be presented to outstanding students.
Welcome to The Department of Geological Sciences at California State University Long Beach!
Our program has a proud 50-year tradition of producing some of the best geologists in Southern California. We have a field-based curriculum and world renowned faculty. We are located 10 minutes from the beach, one hour from the mountains and the San Andreas Fault, and two hours from the desert!
We offer the degrees at the Bachelor's and Master's level. Please look around our website to learn more about us or drop us an email.
Special Graduate Student Announcement
- The new Graduate Advisor is Dr. Lora Stevens (Landon) as of July 1, 2015.
- Dr. Stevens' office is HSCI-306.
Chair: Dr. Stan Finney, Stan.Finney@csulb.edu, Hall of Science (HSCI) Room 300, California State University Long Beach, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90840, Phone: (562) 985-4809,