Department of Geological Sciences
Events and Announcements
- The CSULB Geology Deparment will be hosting the South Coast Geological Society dinner meeting on Monday, March 6. The featured speaker will be Dr. Matt Becker speaking on "Where Groundwater Meets Ocean: California, Easter Island, Hawaii, and Tahiti."
Read more about this event.
- Geology lecturer Ms. Carla Weaver's proposal "Volcanic Hazards in Naples Metropolitan Area" has been selected for funding for the faculty incentive travel grant program, Professors Around the World (PAW). This grant will fund preparatory work to develop a relationship with the University of Ca' Foscari, in hopes of developing a yearly CSULB study-abroad course to Italy.
Read more about this grant.
- A Department of Energy Geothermal Grant of $450,000 to study fluid flow in bedrock using fiber optic distributed acoustic sensing technology is funding two Masters of Science students.
Read more about the geothermal grant.
- The Johnson-Conrey Endowment to support outstanding graduate students was renewed for a 2nd 3-year term.
Read about the endowment.
- The CSULB Geology's MARS Project industrial affiliates program surpassed the $800,000 milestone of total corporate donations to provide research and salary support to graduate and undergraduate students.
Read about the MARS Program.
- Two CSULB research presentations won awards at the recent joint meeting of the Pacific and Rocky Mountain sections of the AAPG and SEPM.
Read about the AAPG/SEPM awards.
- Professor Stan Finney has been elected Secretary General of the 121 nation International Union of Geological Sciences.
Read story about Dr. Finney and the IUGS.
Professor Robert Francis and Sue Ollweiler at the annual Johnson-Conrey Fellowship Holiday Luncheon.
Professor Robert Francis presented a copy of his new book - "Black Gold in California: the story of the California petroleum industry" - to Sue Ollweiler at the annual Johnson-Conrey Fellowship Holiday Luncheon. Sue is the Executive Director of the Carl W. Johnson Foundation, which, since 2011, has provided $500,000 for 2-year scholarships for outstanding graduate students in geological sciences. The program is currently funded through 2021.
Chair: Dr. Rick Behl, Richard.Behl@csulb.edu, Hall of Science (HSCI) Room 322, California State University Long Beach, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90840, Phone: (562) 985-5850