Department of Geological Sciences
Events and Announcements
- Professor Stan Finney has been elected Secretary General of the 121 nation International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS). Dr. Finney had served as the Chair of the International Commission on Stratigraphy, a key scientific body in the IUGS which precisely defines global units that are the basis for the International Geologic Time Scale.
- Two CSULB research presentations won awards at the
recent joint meeting of the Pacific and Rocky Mountain sections of the AAPG (American Association of Petroleum Geologists) and SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology).
- Michael Thompson and his advisor, Prof. Dan Francis, won the AAPG's H. Victor Church Award for the best
poster presented at an annual meeting for "Tectonic Evolution of the Palos Verdes Fault - Lasuen Knoll Segment, Offshore Southern California".
- Ryan Weller (with co-author Dr. Rick Behl) won the SEPM's Patrick Abbott Award for the outstanding poster by a graduate student for
"Compositional and diagenetic relationships and controls of mechanical behavior in siliceous mudstones of the upper Monterey Formation,
Belridge Oilfield, San Joaquin Basin, California".
- Professor Robert Francis presented a copy of his new book - "Black Gold in California: the story of the California petroleum industry" - to Sue Ollweiler at the annual Johnson-Conrey Fellowship Holiday Luncheon. Sue is the Executive Director of the Carl W. Johnson Foundation, which, since 2011, has provided $500,000 for 2-year scholarships for outstanding graduate students in geological sciences. The program is currently funded through 2021.
Welcome to The Department of Geological Sciences at California State University Long Beach!
Our program has a proud 50-year tradition of producing some of the best geologists in Southern California. We have a field-based curriculum and world renowned faculty. We are located 10 minutes from the beach, one hour from the mountains and the San Andreas Fault, and two hours from the desert!
We offer the degrees at the Bachelor's and Master's level. Please look around our website to learn more about us or drop us an email.
Professor Robert Francis and Sue Ollweiler at the annual Johnson-Conrey Fellowship Holiday Luncheon.
Chair: Dr. Rick Behl, Richard.Behl@csulb.edu, Hall of Science (HSCI) Room 322, California State University Long Beach, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90840, Phone: (562) 985-5850