Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach

Receiving Credit for Non-CSULB Academic Experience

Test Credit

Students who are eligible to receive academic credit based on the results of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or CLEP assessments should have their official test scores sent to CSULB. Be aware that test credit granted by another institution does not automatically ‘transfer’ to CSULB. Credit is awarded based on when the exam was taken. If your exams were taken in prior years, please review the CSULB catalog from the specific year to see how credit will be awarded.

Once scores are received and evaluated, applicable credit will be automatically posted for students who are eligible to enroll in a degree granting program. Once granted, these results will be available on MyCSULB in the Transfer Credit Report. Visit the How-to Guide for Viewing Test Scores for assistance in understanding the Test Score Summary and Transfer Credit Report.

Transfer Credit

Generally, students are granted transfer credit for baccalaureate-level courses successfully completed at regionally accredited two- or four-year colleges and universities. Transfer credit is reviewed by the Office of Enrollment Services and is granted in compliance with applicable national, state, CSU system, and CSULB policies. Within policy limits, approved transfer credit may be applied toward fulfillment of major, minor, general education requirements or elective credit.

ASSIST is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California.

The Office of Enrollment Services evaluates transfer credit upon receipt of official transcripts from another institution. Once the courses from the transcript are posted, an initial ‘automated’ evaluation is completed based on transfer credit articulation agreements on file. At this time the Evaluation Status on the student’s transcript credit summary is “Unofficial.” The Evaluation Status will change to “Official” following Enrollment Services staff review. To access the evaluation, go to the Student Center in MyCSULB and choose Transfer Credit Report from the pull-down menu. Your Academic Requirements Report, also available from the pull-down menu, will reflect how evaluated transfer course work has been applied to your CSULB degree objectives.

Be aware that official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended prior to your CSULB graduation date must be submitted and considered in the awarding of your degree. All baccalaureate-level transferable units will be computed in the overall grade point average. In addition, all transferable units in the major will be computed in the overall major grade point average.

What are the limitations on transfer credit?

Units earned at a regionally accredited community college:

  • No upper-division credit is granted for courses taken at a community college
  • A maximum of 70 transferable units may be earned toward the minimum unit requirement for graduation (normally 120).Courses beyond this limit may be used to satisfy specific subject requirements as appropriate.

Units earned at a regionally accredited 4-year college or university:

  • While there is no specific limit on transfer courses, students must satisfy the University’s 30-unit residency requirement to earn a CSULB degree.
  • Upper division credit is only granted when the course content and learning outcomes meet the CSULB course and degree requirements. Departments may require students to demonstrate competency in the subject prior to granting credit. Some degree programs may have limitations on ability to complete upper division major requirements by transfer.

How is the course work taken for my approved Transfer AA or AS Degree evaluated?

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (SB 440/Padilla) establishes a Transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) degree for California Community College students and is designed to provide a clear pathway to the CSU degree major. Upon receipt of an official transcript indicating the awarding of an approved Transfer AA or AS degree, a General Education certification will be recorded and transfer credit will be posted based on articulation rules in effect.

If the Transfer AA or AS degree was earned in a subject area deemed ‘similar’ to the CSULB major being pursued, additional adjustments may be necessary to ensure the student can graduate within the timeline established for these programs (normally 60 units). It is important that you meet with your academic advisor early on to identify the remaining requirements to be completed at CSULB and any adjustments needed to your record.

For additional information about this program, refer to Transfer AA/AS Degree.

What if I have a degree requirement showing as unmet when I believe it was satisfied by a transfer course?

If the transfer course is not showing at all in your transfer credit evaluation, first ensure that the transcript has been submitted. If it has been at least three weeks since the institution sent the transcript, contact Enrollment Services to determine its status and if additional action is need.

If the transfer evaluation has been completed on the course, contact Enrollment Services or file a Problem Resolution Form if the course is for General Education credit or if the credit you are seeking is posted on Assist.

If the outstanding requirement is a major degree requirement and not approved for transfer on Assist, you will need to consult your major advisor. In some cases, students may be required to submit additional documentation such as a course description from the transfer institution’s catalog.

What do I do if I am considering taking a transfer course to meet a remaining degree requirement?

To ensure the course can be used to meet the degree requirement, complete and submit the Request for Evaluation of Course Work from Another Institution form to the Office of Enrollment Services.  This should be submitted well in advance of registering elsewhere. Enrollment Services will review the course(s) and notify you as to how the course(s) will count towards your CSULB degree objectives.

If you plan to enroll at a California Community College, you may also wish to visit the ASSIST web site at ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities.

Military Experience

CSULB grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of non-collegiate military instruction appropriate to the baccalaureate degree as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) in the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experience in the Armed Forces.

Official military transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services for evaluation. To obtain your transcripts, refer to:

Degree credit is automatically considered for:

  • Up to three units of General Education credit in Lifelong Learning and Self-Development
  • General elective credit for any units recommended by ACE in excess of the three units
  • GE credit for Department of Defense Foreign Language courses when the levels are comparable to language courses offered at the University.
If you believe the training has met the learning objectives for a specific GE requirement, you should obtain department recommendation and file a Petition to Exception to Academic Policy. If you believe the training has met the learning outcomes of a specific major requirement, consult with your major department advisor.