Department of Dance Office: DC-S131     Phone: 562-985-4747     Fax: 562-985-7896

undergraduate advising


Schedule an AppointmentCSULB Student Success Collaborative: SSC - Advising & Tutoring


This page has advising information for current CSULB dance majors. Prospective students should go here to view degrees offered in the Dance Department.

Current CSULB Dance Majors, please follow the instructions below for dance major advising or click on a link to go directly to an advising topic.



Please visit this link for information on General Education:

Please visit this link for information on the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (UCUA):


Dance Major Advising Appointment

The Undergraduate Advisor for Dance & Music is Kirsten Sumpter. All incoming freshman and transfers, BA, BFA, and BA Option in Dance Science dance majors should seek advising with her regarding their gerenral education and major academic requirements.

Her contact information is:
Kirsten Sumpter
Office: DC F-101
Phone: 562.985.8434

Additionally, those who are interested or currently pursuing the option in Dance Science should also make an appointment with Professor Karen Clippinger by signing up for a meeting time on the appointment schedule outside her office in DC-F207.

Dance Program Planners:
BA in Dance
BFA in Dance
BA in Dance, Option in Dance Science


Commonly Asked Questions

Question: I want to become a dance major. Who do I see?
Answer: Visit the Dance Department office or call 562-985-2024 to request audition information (you can also send an email to: 
You must be accepted through an audition to become a dance major.

Question: How many units can I sign up for?
Answer: Generally, first semester freshman can register for up to 16 units and all other students can register for up to 18 units. Please check current University policy on unit enrollments (often students have an initial registration period of up to 13 units, followed by an opportunity to add more units later in the registration process.) Students can also petition to take as many as 21 units, though registering for more than 18 units is not recommended (please ask in the Dance Office for a petition form. The Chair of the Dance Department will need to sign your form). However, at times dance majors need to petition to add additional units for their crew and performance units (1 unit each).

Question: Which GE classes should I take?
Answer: You should speak to an advisor in the University Center for Undergraduate Advising to set your schedule of GE classes. However, in general dance majors should try to take two GE classes a semester along with their dance major requirements. Freshman and Sophomore students should make their Foundation GE classes the priority, as well as any remedial classes in Math or English that are required. Freshman and Sophomore students should make their GE Foundation classes (A-1, A-2, A-3 and B-2) a priority.

Question: Does the Dance Department have any classes that double as General Education classes?
Answer: Yes, dance majors can take 373i (Non-Verbal Communication), 442 (Traditions), 342 (Cultural Perspectives) and 435i (Dance in Film) to satisfy Capstone requirements and dance major requirements (373i for BFA, 435i for BA.) The BA, Option in Dance Science does not use these courses, as it uses Human Physiology (BIOL 207) and Introductory Psychology (PSY 100) to double as major and GE requirements.

Question: Which ballet and modern technique classes should I sign up for as a new dance major?
Answer: All new freshman should sign for Ballet I (Dance 154) and Modern I (Dance 152). All new transfers should sign up for Ballet II (Dance 254) and Modern II (Dance 252). Each semester all students in technique classes are evaluated at the start and end of the semester by a technique screening committee. The screening committee will make the final decision on which level is best for each student, and if students are asked to take a different class level they can change their registration during the first week of classes.

Question: A GE class that I need is in conflict with a dance major technique class. Is it OK that I take only modern dance or ballet technique for one semester?
Answer: The majority of dance majors in their first two years take both ballet and modern dance technique each semester in order to progress along with their peers through the technique sequence. However, occasionally there is a scheduling conflict with a GE class that does not allow you to take both. See if the GE class is offered at another day/time first, but if there are no other options and the GE is a priority for you, then taking only one technique class for a semester is acceptable.

Question: Do all dance majors need to see their Dance Major Advisor each semester?
Answer: Currently we only have mandatory advising for the following dance majors: new freshman and transfers, 2nd semester freshman and transfers, and graduating seniors (the semester prior to graduation). However, we encourage all dance majors to actively seek advising and to have their program planner reviewed each semester.

Question: I am a new dance major and am interested in the BFA degree in Dance. How do I become a BFA?
Answer: All dance majors begin in the Dance Department as BA students, and then may choose to apply to the BFA or the BA in Dance, Option in Dance Science in their second semester as a freshman or their first semester as a sophomore. Dance majors interested in the BFA degree should speak to Keith Johnson, Program Director of the BFA, to fill out an application to audition. Dance majors interested in the BA in Dance, Option in Dance Science should speak to Karen Clippinger.

Question: I am a new dance major and want to perform. How do I audition?
Answer: In order to be eligible to audition you must first sign up for a production crew. Please see Elisha Griego, Technical Director, to sign up. Your name will be put on a list for a crew (possibly during the next semester). Once you have made this commitment, you are free to attend the auditions for the faculty concerts (usually on the Friday of the first week of classes of a new semester) or the auditions for the MFA concerts (see production board for announcements).

Question: I am a transfer student and took classes at another college prior to coming to CSULB that I would like to transfer. How do I do this?
Answer: Transfer students should make an appointment with their Dance Major Advisor as soon as possible at the start of their first semester. If you have dance classes you would like to try to articulate (transfer to CSULB), please bring a copy of your transcript to your advisor. It is possible that syllabi and course materials from certain courses may be requested, such as dance history classes, anatomy classes, etc. Please note that GE classes will be articulated during SOAR by an advisor at UCUA, and that your Dance Major Advisor will only articulate dance classes for the major. Commonly articulated classes are: Improvisation (2 units); Composition/Choreography (3 units); Music for Dance (2 units); and Jazz technique (2 units).

Question: I am a dance major and will be graduating within the next year. What should I do?
Answer: Dance majors should make an appointment with their Dance Major Advisor to review their academic program early in the semester before they plan to graduate. For example, students graduating at the end of a spring semester (May) would meet with their advisor the previous fall semester (before mid-October). Students graduating at the end of a fall semester (December) would meet with their advisor the previous spring semester (before March 1). Students must also submit a Request to Graduate form to Brotman Hall according to a specific timeline. Meet with your Advisor to obtain the current request to graduate form.