Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE)
MAE Course Descriptions
ET Course Descriptions
ENGR Course Descriptions
to Eric Besnard
Research & Publications
- T. Iizuka, E. Besnard, T. Nagata, “Numerical Simulation of LOX/Methane Glow
Plug Ignition System,” AIAA Paper No. 2011-5690, July 2011
- N. Harpal, E. Besnard, and R. Toossi, “Modeling of LOX/Methane Impingement,
Mixing and Combustion,” AIAA Paper No. 2010-7135, July 2010
- A. Wilson, J. Clark, E. Besnard and M. Baker, “CFD Analysis of a Multi-Chamber
Aerospike Engine in Over-Expanded, Slipstream Conditions,” AIAA Paper No. 2009-5486,
- A. Wilson, C. Bostwick, E. Besnard, R. Shinavski, “Ceramic Matrix Composite
as Liners for Improved Ablative Chambers,” AIAA Paper No. 2009-5478, August 2009.
- E. Besnard, D. Verma, G. Haberstroh and J. Garvey, “Development and Flight
Testing of a Pressure-fed 1,000 lbf LOX/methane Rocket Engine,” Paper No LPS-I-32,
LPS Session 4K, JANNAF MSS/LPS/SPS Meeting, Orlando, Florida, Dec. 2008
- F. Courouble, E. Besnard and A. Schmitz, “Application of Constructive Neural
Networks to America’s Cup Racing Yacht Performance Optimization,” Paper presented
at the MDY’08, 3rd Symposium on Yacht Design and Production, Madrid Spain, 2008.
- G. Haberstroh, E. Besnard, M. Baker, and J. Garvey, “Development of a Prototype
Rocket Engine for a Nanosat Launch Vehicle First Stage,” AIAA Paper No. 2008-4662,
- E. Ringbom and E. Besnard, “Trades Between Regulated and Self- Pressurized
Systems for LOX/Propylene NLV Upper Stage,” AIAA Paper No. 2008-4554, July 2008.
- E. Besnard, J. Clark and M. Baker, “Development and Characterization of a 1,300
lbf thrust Multi-chamber Aerospike Engine,” presented at the 54th Joint Army-Navy-NASA-Air
Force (JANNAF) Propulsion Meeting, Denver, CO, May 2007.
- J. Garvey and E. Besnard, “Ongoing Nanosat Launch Vehicle Development for Providing
Regular and Predictable Access to Space for Small Spacecraft,” Paper No. SSC05-X-2, 19th
AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, Logan, UT, Aug. 2005.
- J. Garvey and E. Besnard, “LOX-Propylene Propulsion testing for a Nanosat Launch
Vehicle,” AIAA Paper No. 05-4294, presented at the Joint Propulsion Conference, Tucson,
AZ, July 2005
- A. Schmitz, E. Besnard, and H. Hefazi, “Automated Hydrodynamic Shape Optimization using
Neural Networks,” Paper No. C6 (D19), presented at the SNAME Maritime Technology Conference
& Expo, Sept. 2004.
- E. Besnard and J. Garvey, “Development and Flight Testing of Liquid-Propellant
Aerospike Engines,” AIAA Paper No. 04-3354, presented at the Joint Propulsion Conference,
Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 2004. Awarded Best Paper in Liquid Propulsion,
- J. Garvey, E. Besnard, G. Elson and K. Carter, “The Incremental Development of a
Cost-Effective Small Launch Vehicle for Nanosat Payloads,” AIAA Paper No. 03-6390,
presented at Space 2003, Long Beach, CA, Sept. 2003.
- E. Besnard, J. Garvey, A. Ketsdever and B. D’Souza, “Using Small Launch Vehicles
and Microsatellites to provide Students a True Systems Integration Experience,” AIAA Paper
No. 03-6307, presented at Space 2003, Long Beach, CA, Sept. 2003.
- E. Besnard and J. Garvey, “Educating Tomorrow’s Aerospace Engineers by Developing and
Launching Liquid-Propelled Rockets,” Paper No. IAC-02-P.1.05, presented at the World Space
Congress, Houston, Oct. 2002.
- E. Besnard, H.H. Chen, T. Mueller, and J. Garvey, “Design, Manufacturing and Test of a
Plug Nozzle Rocket Engine,” AIAA Paper No. 02-4038, presented at the AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE
Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, Indianapolis, July 2002.
- A. Schmitz, E. Besnard, and E. Vives, “Reducing the Cost of Computational Fluid Dynamics
Optimization Using Multi Layer Perceptrons,” presented at 2002 World Congress on Computational
Intelligence, May 2002.
- E. Besnard, B. Puech, D. Ivshin, O. Kural, and T. Cebeci, “Prediction of Stall and
Post-Stall in Two- and Three-dimensional Flows,” AIAA Paper No. 00-0979, Jan. 2000.
- T. Cebeci, E. Besnard and S. Messié, "A Stability/Transition-Interactive-Boundary-Layer
Approach to Multi-element Wings at High Lift," AIAA Paper 94-0292, Jan. 1994.
- T. Cebeci and E. Besnard, "Prediction of the Performance Degradation of an Aircraft
in Natural Icing Conditions," AIAA Paper 94-0487 Jan. 1994 and invited paper in Proceedings
of the First Bombardier International Workshop, Montréal, Canada, Sept. 1993. Also, Eric
Besnard, MS Thesis, CSULB, Dec. 1992.
Chapters and Journal Articles
- A. Schmitz, F. Courouble, H. Hefazi and E. Besnard, “Modified Cascade Correlation Neural
Network and its Applications to Multidisciplinary Analysis Design and Optimization in Ship
Design,” Machine Learning, pp. 301-342, InTech, Feb. 2010
- E. Besnard, A. Schmitz, H. Hefazi and R. Shinde, “Constructive Neural Networks and their
application to ship multi-disciplinary design optimization,” Journal of Ship Research,
Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 297-312, Dec. 2007.
- T. Cebeci and E. Besnard, "An Efficient and Accurate Approach for Analysis and Design
of High Lift Configurations," Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, Vol. 44, No. 4, Dec.
1998 (invited paper in Proceedings of the Sixth Aerodynamic Symposium, Canadian Aeronautics
and Space Institute, Toronto, Canada, April 1997).