Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach

Electrical Engineering (EE)

MSEE Admission and Financial Assistance


We strongly encourage you to apply online by visiting CSUMentor. If you don't have access to the Internet, you may obtain an admissions application from CSULB or another CSU campus.

As a Master's applicant, you must submit a Graduate/Post-Baccalaureate Admissions Application, accompanied by the $55 nonrefundable application fee. You must submit one set of official transcripts of all college coursework to Enrollment Services/Admissions at this address:

  • California State University, Long Beach
  • 1250 N. Bellflower Boulevard
  • Long Beach, CA 90840-0106
  • Attn: Graduate Admissions/ IDP

    There is no need to send the application to the Department.

    To request a paper application for admission, please write to:

CSULB Catalog & Schedule of Classes

The CSULB Catalog and CSULB Schedule of Classes are available on the web or can be purchased through:

Admission Requirements and Process

Students who have their degrees from countries where English is not a common language must receive a minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (or 213 on computerized test; or 80 on internet-based test ). The general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required.

Additional requirements (such as evidence of financial resources etc.) may be needed for international applicants. See International Admissions for the details. The Admissions Office decides whether or not a student has the equivalent of an accredited bachelor's degree after an application has been submitted to them, together with transcripts. If the student has more than 2.7 GPA in the last 60 units in a semester system (excluding lower division and extension courses taken elsewhere) or 90 units in case of quarter system and has a bachelor's degree in EE from a university in US, he/she is admitted as “fully classified” MSEE student without any difficulty. The entire semester in which the 60 units began is used in the calculation of GPA. If a student has a GPA of 2.7 or more but does not have a Bachelor's degree in EE (but say, CS, ME, or Physics) or the EE degree is from a university outside US, the department will admit him/her as “conditionally classified” graduate student. The reason is that there may be EE undergraduate deficiency courses. As soon as the deficiency courses are completed, the status of the student can be changed to fully classified.


If the Admissions and Records Office accepts a student, it submits the material to the department for review. When the department accepts the student, the student is given a letter of admission. The letter may urge the student to contact the department for any special requirements of the department. If the student has access to this handbook and is aware of the deficiency requirements, the student need not contact the department prior to his arrival. After arrival, prior to or at the beginning of the semester, he/she needs to meet with the advisor for formulating a tentative program of study and checking for any deficiency.

What if you do not meet GPA Requirement?

Students with a GPA less than 2.7 must take upper division courses through the College of Continuing and Professional Education, i.e., adjunct open enrollment. Weekend, Summer or Winter Session courses may also be taken. After the GPA rises to 2.7, the student may apply for admission. It is possible that some of the courses taken through the extension (a maximum of two graduate level courses) may be applied to the student's MSEE program later.

If a student is admitted for a particular semester and somehow the student cannot start in that semester, he/she has to reapply for the next semester.

Financial Aid

Financial aid information is available on the web or by writing to:

  • Financial Aid Office
  • California State University, Long Beach
  • Long Beach, CA 90840

A limited number of teaching associateships (TA) and graduate assistantships (GA) are available through the EE department office. Normally Ph.D. students are given preference and then M.S. students. Contact the EE Department Chair for availability and application. Students may obtain other part time campus jobs by approaching other offices on campus.

*Note: although every effort is made to keep this Web site up to date, you should also consult the online catalog for official information and program requirements, which may vary depending on the year you enter(ed) the program.

Back to top

Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) Handbook

(For students enrolled before Fall 2016)

  1. Thesis Requirements
  2. Project Option
  3. Final Comprehensive Examination
  4. GPA Requirement, Grad Check, Continuous Enrollment, GS700, Educational Leave, 7-Year Limit, Normal Academic Load