Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach

Chemical Engineering (ChE)

Minor in Environmental Engineering

(code COE_UM01)


This interdisciplinary Minor in Environmental Engineering is designed for undergraduates from various engineering and science backgrounds who are interested in applying engineering approaches to environmental issues. Coursework in the minor focuses on engineering solutions to problems in preserving the quality of air, water, and soil by developing procedures and designing processes, consistent with current government regulation, to improve the environment and prevent pollution.

Requirements (Effective 2009/2010 Catalog Year)

A minimum of 6 units selected from the following core: CH E 475 or C E 364; CH E 455 or C E 469.

Additional courses to complete the 18-unit minor may be selected from: CH E 415, 445, 465, 485; C E 466; MAE 490C, and E T 400/L, 409F, 449/L, 476, 485.

Most of the courses in the minor require some background in engineering and/or chemistry. Upper division students majoring in Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering may have sufficient background to select from the above choices without needing additional prerequisites. Those majoring in other branches of science and engineering may need several additional courses in engineering and/or chemistry to meet prerequisite requirements of courses in this minor. All prerequisites to the courses in the minor must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.

Additional Information: Minor in Environmental Engineering

  • New students need to immediately consult with the program advisor prior to enrolling for courses. See the advisor links below.
  • Consult the catalog link listed below in Official Program Information for past years program requirements.

Undergraduate Advisor

Official Program Information


*Note: although every effort is made to keep this Web site up to date, you should also consult the printed catalog for official information and program requirements, which may vary depending on the year you enter(ed) the program.

Back to top