To educate and prepare students to succeed in the civil engineering profession by
providing them with essential technical tools and skills which will enable them to perform
current and future civil engineering tasks and to promote the need for life long learning.
- Pursue lifelong learning through continuing education and/or advanced degrees in civil engineering or other related fields.
- Progress to professional registration.
- Continue to develop professionally through participation in professional organizations and/or participation in professional development activities in the industry.
- Progress to management and/or other leadership positions in their fields.
Student Learning Outcomes
All students receiving the BSCE degree from California State University, Long Beach are: expected to have
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.