BS in Civil Engineering
The mission of the Civil Engineering Program is to prepare students to succeed in the civil engineering profession by providing them with essential technical tools and skills and to promote the need for lifelong learning.
Program Educational Objectives
The Civil Engineering Program Educational Objectives are to produce graduates, who after entering the civil engineering practice will:
- Apply knowledge of fundamental science and engineering principles and design to the solution of complex engineering projects
- Pursue lifelong learning through continuing education and/or advanced degrees in civil engineering or other related fields.
- Progress to professional registration and continue to develop professionally.
- Progress to leadership or management in engineering.
Student Learning Outcomes
The CE program adopted the (a) through (k) student outcomes that are recommended by ABET. These student outcomes are employed to meet the Program Objectives.
- Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, and general scientific and engineering principles to the solution of problems.
- Ability to conduct field observations and experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- Ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- Ability to communicate effectively, in written, oral and graphical formats
- Achievement of the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- Recognition of the need for, and the ability to engage in life-long learning
- Knowledge of contemporary issues and their relationship to civil engineering
- Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice