Pedagogical Resources & Services
Instructional Technology Support Services (ITSS) provides instructional support to enhance teaching and learning at CSULB. Some of the learning tools they facilitate are:
Software & Websites
- Beachboard - getting started and logistics with CSULB's learning management system, D2L
- Respondus - an application that lets instructors create and manage exams and surveys that can be printed to paper or published directly to BeachBoard.
- Collaborate (formally Elluminate) - a real-time virtual classroom environment designed for both distance education and online collaboration.
- BeachWiki - a collaborative platform that allows users to create, modify, and link Web pages without knowledge of complex web authoring technologies.
- Panopto (site licensed, required software installation) - lecture capture software.
- Mobile Technologies for Education - provides some popular smart phone apps for teaching and education.
- iTunes U - Students can download supplemental classroom materials and podcasts from CSULB professors. Instructors will find podcasts to help them with the BeachBoard system.
- Digital Storytelling - create your own audio podcasts with stories.
- Qualtrics (site licensed, required CSULB ID to log in) - a survey tool to help collecting and analyzing data.
- Narrable - A storytelling platform for teaching.
- Go Animate - To make an animated video for teaching.
- Piktochart - make user friendly and modern info grams.
- Explain Everything - An interactive whiteboard and screencasting tool.
- Wolfram Alpha - A collection of computable knowledge (here are some Wolfram Alpha examples).
- Movenote - Movie making application.
- Photovisi - A collage maker to assemble photos for a project or presentation.
- Voki - Using talking aviators to present material.
- Tiki-toki - create amazing timelines of processes or events.
- Dipity - Make interactive timelines.
- Prezi - Supercharged ppt presentations.
- Bubbl - Mindmap /concept map/brainstorming maker.
- MakeBeliefs - Allow students to create comics to discuss a topic/ethical issue.
- Digo - Knowledge management/annotation tools for your library.
- Word press - Create your own website.
Hardware & Gadgets
- Classroom technology - support for using various hardware in the classroom.
- iClicker - Clickers are wireless handheld devices that allow students to respond to classroom polls, quizzes, and sign-in for attendance, regardless of class size and common student dynamics.
iPads - The iPad combines robust computational functionality with a screen large enough to serve as a legitimate replacement for printed textbooks and other course materials, with the added benefits of interactivity.
Outside of CSULB