The Young Scientists' Camp provides an exciting program that brings students, experienced teachers, future teachers and science specialists together for two weeks of hands-on exploration, discovery, and fun! This is an academically focused, hands-on science camp program.
- Additional summer camps are available in the afternoon. Please note that separate registration is required for these other camps.
- Parents will be invited to attend our open house on Friday, August 3.
The camp takes place in the science laboratories on the campus of California State University Long Beach.
Topics for This Year
Kids will engage in hands-on investigations and experiments every day as they make sense of the world around us. Classes will be held in CSULB science laboratory classrooms. They will meet scientists and take field trips on campus. Kids will bring home projects, be able to teach you what they learned and get a YSC camp t-shirt and science notebook.
Join us as we explore bugs and other critters. We'll study their life cycles, how they move, what they eat, where the live and how they survive.
Fizz, pop, wow! We'll experiment with all sorts of different substances. We'll add and remove energy to change states, we'll mix things together to make new things. Grab your goggles and join the fun!
Use science to solve mysteries and solve crimes. We'll have a variety of crime scenes and perplexing scenarios which can only be solved when you engage in science practices and investigations. Come help us out so we can figure out who done it!
Invent, Design, Explore. Using simple machines and other tools of science you'll be challenged to solve problems and invent solutions to some engineering challenges. There will be different challenges and explorations than what you may have done in last year’s STEAM Maker's Challenge.
Join an all female teaching staff and be part of a group of amazing young women as we design and build cars, explore forces, energy and momentum. After building and engineering motorized cars we'll optimize them for different situations. You do NOT need to have had physics to participate. We'll explore topics that you probably don't get to do in a high school physics class.
- $315 per student
- $30 sibling discount
- $30 discount for CSULB faculty and staff
- $75 cancellation fee; no refunds after July 1
Drop-off and Pick-up
- Location: TBA. We will communicate with families via email as camp approaches. Campus Map
- Drop-off Time: 8:15-8:30am. At 8:30am, we walk students from the drop-off location to their classes.
- Pick-up Time: 12:10-12:25pm. Students who haven't been picked up are walked by our staff to the lunchroom, Hall of Science (HSCI) room 105, at 12:30pm.
- If you need to collect a child from the lunchroom, you will be required to show ID. The closest and easiest place to park are the pay-to-park spaces in lot G15 on East Campus Drive.
Students who attend Young Scientists' Camp as well as an afternoon camp on campus are supervised for lunch (students should have their own lunch) and then escorted to their afternoon camps.
We offer an optional parent orientation in the Hall of Science (HSCI) room 105. You'll be able to meet your child's teachers, see their classroom, get an overview of camp, and have all of your logistical questions answered. Please RSVP for the Orientation to receive a parking pass. You will receive an invitation and RSVP in July. Campus Map
Friday, August 3. An invitation will be distributed during camp. Please have your child turn in the RSVP to their instructor or email email@example.com if you want to attend. RSVPs are required in order to receive a free parking permit for this event.
- (562) 985-4801