The Young Scientists' Camp provides an exciting program that brings students, experienced teachers, future teachers and science specialists together for two weeks of hands-on exploration, discovery, and fun! This is an academically focused, hands-on science camp program.
- Additional summer camps are available in the afternoon. Please note that separate registration is required for these other camps.
- Parents will be invited to attend our open house on Friday, July 26.
The camp takes place in the science laboratories on the campus of California State University Long Beach.
Topics for This Year
Kids will engage in hands-on investigations and experiments every day as they make sense of the world around us. Classes will be held in CSULB science laboratory classrooms. They will meet scientists and take field trips on campus. Kids will bring home projects, be able to teach you what they learned and get a YSC camp t-shirt and science notebook.
Join us as we unveil some of our favorite magic tricks and illusions. For two weeks you get to be the magician who does the trick and the scientist who understands the ideas behind them.
We'll learn about the day and night sky, objects in our universe, replicate experiments from space, and launch rockets. Come join us as we blast off into an exploration of our universe!
Dive in and explore the environment at the sea's edge and our nearby oceans. Explore the abundance and diversity of marine life that thrive in this fascinating habitat.
STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics
Rube Goldberg devices, simple machines and other science and engineering challenges await you in this two week hands-on camp. You'll design and build a variety of things to meet daily and weekly challenges.
Join an all female teaching staff and be part of a group of amazing young women as we explore physics and engineering topics. Be ready to learn new things and practice new skills as you design devices and challenge your thinking. You do NOT need to have had physics to participate. We'll explore topics that you probably don't get to do in a high school physics class.
- $315 per student
- $30 sibling discount
- $30 discount for CSULB faculty and staff
- $75 cancellation fee; no refunds after July 1
Registration coming soon.
Drop-off and Pick-up
- Location: South Turnaround (near 7th st.). We have communicated with families via email and posted on Facebook.
- Drop-off Time: 8:15-8:30am. At 8:30am, we walk students from the drop-off location to their classes.
- Pick-up Time: 12:10-12:25pm. Students who haven't been picked up are walked by our staff to the lunchroom, Hall of Science (HSCI) room 277, at 12:30pm.
- If you need to collect a child from the lunchroom, you will be required to show ID. The closest and easiest place to park are the pay-to-park spaces, short term spaces in lots E7 or G15 on East Campus Drive.
Students who attend Young Scientists' Camp as well as an afternoon camp on campus are supervised for lunch (students should have their own lunch) and then escorted to their afternoon camps.
We offer an optional parent orientation in the Hall of Science (HSCI) room 103. You'll be able to meet your child's teachers, see their classroom, get an overview of camp, and have all of your logistical questions answered. Parking will be in Lot E10 (off West Campus Drive). YSC staff will be in the parking lot to help you with parking. Detailed information has been sent via email to registered campers.
Friday, July 26. An invitation will be distributed during camp. Please have your child turn in the RSVP to their instructor or email email@example.com if you want to attend. RSVPs are required in order to receive 1 free parking permit per family for this event.