The Young Scientists' Camp provides an exciting program that brings students, experienced teachers, future teachers and science specialists together for two weeks of hands-on exploration, discovery, and fun! This is an academically focused, hands-on science camp program.
- An optional parent orientation will be held on Thursday, July 20 at 7:15pm.
- Additional summer camps are available in the afternoon. Please note that separate registration is required for these other camps.
- Parents will be invited to attend our open house on Friday, August 4.
The camp takes place in the science laboratories on the campus of California State University Long Beach.
Topics for This Year
Join us as we unveil some of our favorite magic tricks and illusions. For two weeks you get to be the magician who does the trick and the scientist who understands the ideas behind them.
Slime, shrinky-dinks, and 2-liter bottle rockets are just a few of the toys we'll explore as we learn the science and engineering concepts behind some of our favorite toys.
Dive in and explore the environment at the sea's edge and our nearby oceans. Explore the abundance and diversity of marine life that thrive in this fascinating habitat.
Rube Goldberg devices, simple machines, and other science and engineering challenges await you in this two week hands-on camp. You'll design and build a variety of things to meet daily and weekly challenges.
Join an all female teaching staff and be part of a group of amazing young women exploring light, sound, and waves. You'll build musical instruments, sound systems and explore the physics of photography. You do NOT need to have had physics to participate. We'll explore topics that you probably don't get to do in a high school physics class.
- $300 per student
- $25 sibling discount
- $25 discount for CSULB faculty and staff
- $75 cancellation fee; no refunds after July 1
Drop-off and Pick-up
- Location: TBA. We will communicate with families via email as camp approaches. Campus Map
- Drop-off Time: 8:15-8:30am. At 8:30am, we walk students from the drop-off location to their classes.
- Pick-up Time: 12noon-12:15pm. Students who haven't been picked up our walked by our staff to the lunchroom, Hall of Science (HSCI) room 105, at 12:20pm.
- If you need to collect a child from the lunchroom, you will be required to show ID. The closest and easiest place to park are the pay-to-park spaces in lot 8A on East Campus Drive.
Students who attend Young Scientists' Camp as well as an afternoon camp on campus are supervised for lunch (students should have their own lunch) and then escorted to their afternoon camps.
We offer an optional parent orientation on Thursday, July 20 at 7:15pm in the Hall of Science (HSCI) room 105. You'll be able to meet your child's teachers, see their classroom, get an overview of camp, and have all of your logistical questions answered.
If you sent an RSVP, we will have a parking pass for you at Lot 5 on West Campus Drive. If you did not RSVP, please pay for parking in Lot 5. Campus Map
Friday, August 4. An invitation will be distributed during camp. Please have your child turn in the RSVP to their instructor or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to attend. RSVPs are required in order to receive a free parking permit for this event.
- (562) 985-4801