Repeating a Course
Please see Repeating Courses from Registration and Records for more information.
If a student does not pass a course or fails to complete the course, there is the option to repeat it. The repeat policy allows for a student to repeat up to 28 units. Out of the 28 units, 16 units can be used for grade forgiveness (see below). Check MyCSULB Student Center on Single Sign-On to track your individual courses.
- The limit applies to courses taken at CSULB ONLY.
- Repeats recorded prior to Fall 2009 will not count toward the limit.
- Only the units awarded for the original attempt count toward the 28 units.
- Students may repeat courses only if a D, F, WU, or NC was earned.
- Once students reach the 28 unit limit, they will not be allowed to repeat any additional courses without an approved academic appeal.
- Students who wish to attempt an individual course for a third time must submit the "Exception to Academic Policy" form (found on Enrollment Services Forms) to the associate dean of their college. Permission is granted only in rare instances. CNSM students must first schedule an appointment with the Academic Advising Center.
A maximum of 16 units can be applied for Grade Forgiveness. Courses must be taken at CSULB. When a passing grade is earned on the second attempt, the transcripts will reflect both courses, but only the passing grade will be calculated in the GPA.
Grades Averaged is used when the maximum 16 units have already been used for Grade Forgiveness. If the student needs to take a course for a third time, and the appeal is granted, all three of the grades will be averaged.
Contact CNSM Advising
Please include your student ID number in all email correspondence.
First Week of Classes (8/26-8/30): 9:00am-11:30am and 1:00pm-3:30pm
After First Week:
- Mon: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Tue: 10:00am-1:00pm
- Wed: 12:30pm-3:00pm
- Thu: 1:00pm-4:00pm
Availability is subject to change. First week of semester has alternate schedule.