Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

PRE-REQUISITES (Elementary Statistics)



Q. What can I do with a Social Work degree?
A. For more information, please click on the link.

Q. What is considered Social Work experience?
A. Experience working in the social work field, case management, health and human services, and/or has been supervised by a credentialed social worker (B.S.W., M.S.W., L.C.S.W., Ph.D., or D.S.W.).

Q. Where can I volunteer to get more Social Work experience?
A. We don't keep a list of local agencies looking for staff or volunteers. You can search online for agencies that interest you and contact them for more information. Check out the VolunteerMatch website to get started!

Q. How can I find out more information about getting an LCSW?
A.  For more information please review the information posted on the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) website.


Q. When is the deadline to apply to the MSW Program?
A. The deadline to apply to the School of Social Work MSW Program is January 15th. The deadline to apply to the University is also January 15th.

Q. When do you start accepting applications?
A. The School of Social Work will begin accepting applications for Fall 2019 on October 1st.

Q. Do you have Spring admissions?
A. No. We only admit students for fall semester..

Q. Do I need to mail my application or can I drop it off in person?
A. You can mail in your application or drop it off in person. Our office is located in the Social Sciences/Public Affairs (SS/PA) building, room 161.

Q. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for the MSW Program, what does that mean for me as an applicant?
A. Applications are processed on a "first-come, first-served" basis. Evaluation is done as soon as an application is deemed complete and ready for review, applications are evaluated until available spaces are filled. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application packets early. 


Q. Do I have to have a Bachelor's degree?
A. Yes. If your degree is "in progress" when you submit your application, it must be completed no later than the end of Spring 2019. You will need to submit official transcripts to Enrollment Services to verify that your Bachelor’s degree has been conferred.

Q. Do I have to have a degree in Social Work in order to apply to the MSW program?
A.  No. As long as you hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, you may apply to the MSW prgoram.


Q. Is the GRE required?
A. No. The GRE is not required.


Q. Can I apply to the program with a low GPA?
A. No. The minimum GPA to apply is a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

GPA Calculator

Q. How can I increase my GPA?
A. The only way to increase your GPA for consideration into the MSW program is by taking upper division (300- or 400-level) courses through Open University at the CSULB College of Continuing and Professional Education. You can also take upper division undergraduate courses at another college or university ONLY WHILE ENROLLED AT THAT FACILITY. These courses MAY NOT be taken through continuing education at other universities.


Q. Do I have to have an Academic and a Professional reference?
A. Yes. In order to apply to the MSW program, you must have three (3) references. One reference must be from an academic source (i.e. a professor or instructor), one reference must be from a professional source (i.e. a supervisor in a volunteer or paid position), and the third reference can be from either an academic or professional source.  Personal references are not appropriate and will not be accepted.

If you graduated more than five years ago, please contact our office for alternative arrangements for the academic reference.


Q. What are the prerequisites for the MSW program?
A. You must complete a prerequisite course in Elementary Statistics with a grade of "C" or better no later than Spring 2019. A grade of "C minus (C-)" does NOT meet this requirement.

Q. How can I verify that the statistics class I took is equivalent to the Elementary Statistics prerequisite?
A. We have posted a list of approved statistics courses on our website (link). If the course you took is not included on the posted list, you must submit a course syllabus in your application packet. The syllabus will be evaluated and you will receive an email confirmation as to whether the course was approved or denied.


Q. Do I need official transcripts from all of the colleges that I’ve attended?

A. University Enrollment Services requires official transcripts from all colleges/universities that the applicant has attended. The transcript deadline is January 15th.


Q. Can I transfer credit from another MSW program?

A. Graduate credit for social work courses taken in another accredited graduate social work program may be recommended for transfer of credits up to 6 semester credit hours.



Q. Does CSULB have services available for veterans?

A. Yes. CSULB Veterans Services provides veterans with information about applying for admissions to CSULB. Check out their website for more information.

Q. Does CSULB offer services for students with disabilities?

A. Yes. Disabled Student Services assists students with disabilities as they secure their university degrees at CSULB. Check out their website for more information.