Clinical Education Requirements
Although some requirements may vary depending on the specific level of the athletic training student, the following are the general requirements necessary to complete the clinical practicum course.
- Complete a minimum of 250 hours (12-15 hours per week in sessions of a 3-4 hour time block, not exceeding 20 hours per week). Hours are assigned in the athletic training room and may change or vary according to responsibilities related to team practices and events.
- Complete and turn in by the due date the ATEP 490 Competency Packet. Completion of all knowledge and skill-based competencies, as well as passing of all clinical integration proficiencies are required.
- Pass the Competency Exam on the designated date with a score of 70% or higher for the ATEP 490 Competency Packet.
- Complete and turn in by the due date the ATS Evaluation of the Clinical Setting form.
- Complete and turn in by the due date the ATS Evaluation of the Preceptor form.
- Have the Preceptor complete the mid-semester and end-of-semester Preceptor Performance Review. Upon completion by the Preceptor, the ATS shall meet with the Preceptor and review the form for performance feedback.
- Participate in Discussion Board assignments, as appropriate.
- Be in attendance at regular Monday meetings (Monday at 12pm or 7pm depending on the topic of the week) -documentation required for approved absences (e.g. you are traveling with a team, etc).
Clinical Education Overview