Master of Science in Health Care Administration
Program Information (Code HCA_MS01)
The Master of Science in Health Care Administration (MSHCA) curriculum consists of 45 units of course work. Required courses cover the essential functions of management and critical aspects of the US health care system. Electives, tailored to students' learning goals, include courses in health care site specialization and other academic disciplines. Courses are offered in the evenings Monday through Thursday at 4pm and 7pm.
The Department of Health Care Administration at CSULB has established affiliation with a large number of regional health care facilities that furnish internship sites, field trip settings, and personnel resources and adjunct faculty. The Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Management Education (CAHME).
Master of Science in Health Care Administration Admission Requirements:
Specific Admission Criteria
- Complete MSHCA Application (for MSHCA Application Form click here).
- Official transcripts..
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or better. Those applicants with less than 3.0, but with acceptable evidence of professional potential shown through recent academic performance and experiential background, may be admitted by special action of the Department Admissions Committee.
- A current and complete resume including references.
- Statement of Purpose describing your career goals in Health Care Administration.
- Three letters of recommendation (for instructions, see the graduate application web page).
- Submission of a score on recent Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) ( 500 or better) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (minimum 50% in both verbal and quantitative sections.)
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution is required. Preferably the candiate is expected to have completed 9 units of course work that include: accounting, economics and statistics (courses may be in progress while applying to the program), but these prerequistied courses could be taken during the MS program if needed.
- The application deadline is April 15 before the Fall semester in which you are applying.
- International student deadlines are usually earlier. Please check with the CIE Office for deadlines.
Application to the MSHCA Program is a two step process:
- Apply to the University by filling out the application form at http://www.csumentor.edu; pay the current application fee of $55; and make arrangements to send official transcripts to: CSULB, Enrollment Services, 1250 Bellflower Blvd. Long Beach, CA 90840.
- Prepare an application packet to the Department of Health Care Administration which includes: Program application, a current resume, three letters of recommendation (electronic copies are not accepted), statement of Purpose and GMAT or GRE scores. The HCA Department address is: CSULB, Department of Health Care Administration, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90840-4903.
The following CSULB courses or their equivalent:
- Financial Accounting (ACCT 201)
- Microeconomics (ECON 101 or 300)
- Statistics (PSY 210, SOC 250 or IS 310)
Students should contact the Department Chair for a determination of any deficiencies and required remediation.
- Completion of a minimum of 45 units graduate level course work in Health Care Administration.
- Completion of the following core courses : HCA 502, 503, 505, 510, 515, 517, 524, 530, 535, 550, 698A, 698B and HSC 500.
- Completion of any two of the following elective courses: HCA 536, 537, 538, 539, 552 or 580. Elective from other departments are allowed with the approval of Program Director.
Advancement to Candidacy
A student must be enrolled in the semester or summer session in which advancement to candidacy takes place, and this must occur no later than one semester or summer session prior to completion of course requirements. Normally, a student is eligible and should file for advancement to candidacy after completing six units of graduate course work for the graduate degree program with a 3.0 grade-point average.
Students will be instructed to apply for advancement to candidacy after:
- Completion of 6 units of course work that apply to the degree with an average grade of "B" or better.
- Passing the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) and submitting evidence of same to Department Office, and
- Approval of the Department Chair.
For further information, admission or advising information please contact the
HCA Department Office: (562) 985-5694 or email@example.com.