Bachelor of Science
in Health Care Administration
Program Information for the BSHCA (Code HCA_BS01)
The Department of Health Care Administration is housed in the College of Health and Human Services. The undergraduate Health Care Administration program is a certified member of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA). Such certification demonstrates program excellence through a
processes of external peer review in which programs are examined to determine quality of the curriculum, infrastructure, and outcomes. California State University, Long Beach is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration (BSHCA) curriculum consists of 120 units of course work. The BS program admits freshmen and transfer students with a significant number of community college credits. Interested students must first apply to the CSULB for admission and are encouraged to contact the HCA department for advising before enrolling in courses. (Please see our undergraduate brochure for more information.)
Admission Requirements for the HCA Major
Effective fall 2016, all students must meet the following prerequisities before starting the HCA Program:
- Completion of the following four prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or better in each:
-BIOL 205 (or equivalent), or BIOL 207 with BIOL 208;
-ECON 101 or ECON 300;
-HDEV190 or PSY 110 or SOC170 or STAT 108.
- Completion of a minimum of fourteen semester units or the equivalent in the prerequisite preparatory courses for the major.
- A minimum, overall grade point average of 2.6 or higher.
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software. (MATH 115 is recommended.)
Degree Requirements for the HCA Major
- Completion of the University requirements for General Education. For information on GE requirements, please consult the CHHS Advising Center or call 562-985-2691.
- Completion of the HCA prerequisite courses.
- Completion of the following major core course requirements:
- HCA 300 (The Health Care System)
- HCA 312 (Health Personnel Management)
- HCA 340 (Legal Aspects of Health Administration)
- HCA 341 (Financial Management of Health Care Institutions)
- HCA 353 (Marketing for Health Services Organizations)
- HCA 410 (Health Management and Organizations)
HCA 416 (Management and Information Systems)
- HCA 428 (Population Health Mgmt. for Health Care Administrators)
- HCA 450 (Quality Assurance in Health Care)
- HCA 465 (Analysis and Evaluation of Health Care Services)
- HCA 468 (Principles of Risk Management and Patient Safety)
- HCA 480 (Internship in Health Care Administration) (FAQ's)
- HCA 481 (Internship and Career Development in HCA)
- HSC 150 (Medical Terminology)
(Offered via the CSULB Department of Health Science.)
- IS 233 (Intro. to Computer Systems and Applications)
(Offered via the CSULB Department of Information Systems.)
Click here for HCA course descriptions; otherwise, for a sample HCA course's syllabus, click above on that course's number.
- Completion of a minimum of nine additional units from the following upper-division elective courses:
- HCA 320 (Operations Management in Health Administration)
- HCA 417 (Technology, Ethics, and Society)
- HCA 422 (Global Issues in Health Services)
- HCA 439 (Management Challenges in Long Term
- HCA 451 (Economics of Health)
(Same as ECON 445.)
- HCA 452 (Medical Group Practice
- HCA 457 (Working Around the World)
- HCA 470 (Latinas/Latinos: Health Status & Health Care Access) (Same as CHLS470.)
- HCA 471 (Geographic Information Science (GIS) for Health)
(Same as GEOG 471.)
- HCA 499 (Directed Studies)
Click here for course descriptions; otherwise, for a sample HCA course's syllabus, click above on that course's number.
- Completion of electives (as needed) for a total 120 semester units.
- Successfully completion of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR). (Note: a fee may be required for the GWAR.) Please register for the GWAR through the Testing Office (562-985-4006).
- Completion of each major HCA course with a grade of "C" or better. A course in which a grade lower than "C" is received must be retaken and successfully completed prior to enrolling in any course for which it is a prerequisite. A student receiving a grade lower than "C" may proceed with other courses with approval of the Undergraduate Advisor.
Lower-Division Courses in Health Care Administration
Click here for course descriptions; otherwise, for an individual course syllabus, click below on the course's name. There are no prerequisites for these courses, and they are open to students of all majors.
- HCA 101 (Health Care Administration in Action)
- HCA 202 (Health Care in America)
For advising information, please contact the CHHS Advising Center at 562-985-2691.