Sigma Phi Omega: The National Academic and Professional Society in Gerontology
About Sigma Phi Omega
- Sigma Phi Omega (SPO), the national academic honor and professional society in gerontology, was established in 1980 to recognize excellence of those who study gerontology and aging and the outstanding service of professionals who work with or on behalf of older persons. The formation of a society provides a much needed link between educators, practitioners, and administrators in various settings where older persons are served.
- Mission: To promote scholarship, professionalism, friendship and services to older persons and to advance the education of those individuals in aging related fields.
- SPO welcomes you to meet our members and share news reflecting excellence and outstanding service within our gerontology profession.
- For the official website of Sigma Phi Omega, please CLICK HERE
Spring 2014 SPO Newsletter
Read about our chapter in the SPO National Newsletter on page 14.
Membership Eligibility & Fees
- Undergraduates with a GPA of at least 3.3
- Graduate level students with a GPA of at least 3.5.
Those who do not have the required GPA can still participate under probationary status while attempting to raise the GPA. Alumni and professionals in aging related fields are also welcome to join.
- Annual Fee membership is $25.00 (Includes pin & certificate)
- Meeting time & day varies from semester to semester.
If you are interested in attending or joining, please contact Dr. Claver (email@example.com) or our president Wendy Lozano (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Usually to be held in FCS room 108/110
We may have additional meetings during the month dependent upon needed event planning.
Coastline Gerontology Networking Event - September
"80-20" Dinner Club (Social Experiemnt) - October
Alzheimer's Walk (Long Beach, Huntington Beach) - October/November
Thankgiving Delivering Meal - November
Banquet (Fundrasing) - December
Note 2014-2015 E-Board: Wendy, L. - Presiden; Joy, M. - Vice President; Cyntia, O. - Tresurer; Desirae, G. - Secretary
Hygene Kit Drive
Future Senior Expo - Long Beach
California Council Gerontology & Geriatrics
Canned Food Drive
Outstanding Campus Involvment Award 2013-2014
Student Life and Development, CSULB.