Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences

Current Graduate Student Procedures

Consult Grad Student Checklist to ensure deadlines and procedures are met.

Advancement to Candidacy

Advancement to Candidacy is the next step after achieving classified status and signifies approval of a plan of study by the student's major department and college. (Definition taken from CSULB Catalog.)

Students must complete the following steps to advance to candidacy before continuing his/her course of graduate study in the second year:

Satisfy the general University requirements for Advancement to Candidacy.

Complete 9 units of graduate courses (500/600 level), including FCS 696.

Successful completion of the Writing Proficiency Examination (WPE). A GRE analytical writing score of 4.0 will satisfy this requirement.

Maintain a 3.0 GPA for all coursework attempted as a graduate student.

Complete a Program of Study in consultation with a faculty advisor.

Approval by the Graduate Coordinator of Family and Consumer Sciences and the Associate Dean of the College of Health and Human Services.

Enrollment in the semester in which the Advancement to Candidacy takes place.

Requirements for Completion of MS Degree

1. Complete a minimum of 37 units

2. Maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA

3. Complete Thesis or Directed Project

4. Complete Oral presentation of the Thesis or Directed Project. (guidelines)

5. Complete additional requirements for completion of the MS/IPND

Graduate Studies (GS) 700

The deadline for graduate students to register for GS 700 is the end of the add-drop period of the semester or other session in which the student wishes to maintain continuous enrollment for the purpose of completing the culminating activity or graduating. 

By policy, GS 700 can only be taken after all other coursework has been completed.  If a graduate student wishes to take a semester off before resuming coursework, s/he must take a Planned Educational Leave, not GS 700. GS 700 may only be taken twice.

To register for GS 700, students must have an authorization slip signed by the Graduate Coordinator.  This form can be obtained from the graduate assistant (FCS 007A) or the CCPE Registration Office, located at the Foundation Building, 6300 State University Drive, Suite 100, Long Beach, CA 90815.

Thesis or Directed Project Requirements /Deadlines

After approval from Graduate Committee, submit thesis/directed project to:

Thesis Office

Library 104 West

Please refer to department graduate bulletin board for thesis and project deadlines.

Please refer to the Thesis and Disertation Office website for the policy an n d procedures for sumbitting a thesis.  Access the thesis author online submission form from the Thesis and Disseratation Office website at:

For information on thesis information, visit the following link