Prospective students must comply with University requirements for admission to the graduate studies program at CSULB as outlined in the CSULB Catalog. Students must concurrently submit applications to the University Admissions and Records Office and to the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences. All application materials must be received by February 15th for admission the following fall. (There are no Spring admissions.)
Please note that DPD course work CANNOT be completed through the MS Program
The requirements for prospective graduate students for the Master of Science degree in Nutritional Science are:
1. A bachelor's degree in Nutrition or Dietetics with an undergraduate overall GPA of 3.0 and a GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 undergraduate units attempted.
2. Completion of all prerequisite for 500/600 level courses prior to admission. The pre-reqs include these four courses: NUTR 436, NUTR 335, BIOL 260, and an upper division (300/400 level) stats course.
- Prerequisites for all courses carrying graduate credit must have been completed within five years of taking the graduate courses. If any prerequisite is outdated, it may be repeated or credit obtained by written examination
3. A minimum score of 4 on the Analytical Writing section of the general GRE.
4. A passing score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL or IELTS) if the applicant's native language is not English and preparatory education was principally in a language other than English.
Additional Admission Criteria for Students Choosing the IPND Emphasis; Dietetic Internship
1. Completion of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics with an original Verification Statement from the Didactic Program Director;
2. Related volunteer or work experience in the United States;
3. Completion of the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) application by February 15th;
4. Additional application materials to Internship Program Director by February 15th which includes a nutrition-related experience worksheet and a GPA calculation sheet (both forms can be downloaded from the Internship Program website
5. Interview with Program Director and review committee.
For additional questions regarding the MS in Nutritional Science program can contact the Graduate Assistant via email at FCS.GA.CSULB@gmail.com or by telephone during office hours at (562) 985-7493.