Students in food science will be able to:
- Identify the principles of food science and technology.
- Describe the composition of food and their functional effects on food structure and other characteristics.
- Determine the factors affecting the quality of food products.
- Evaluate the processes and methods used for food preservation.
- Identify the regulatory agencies, their functions and the laws applied to consumer protection.
- Demonstrate appropriate procedures for judging food quality and wholesomeness.
- Evaluate the overall performance, methods and processes of food preservation used for food products.
- List the steps of marketing a new product as related to cost vs. technology.
- Present a detailed plan for manufacturing a new product.
- Explain the role of food fortification in final products and nutrition labeling requirements.
- Evaluate the relationship between packaging foods and estimated shelf life period.