Prospective applicants must comply with University requirements for admission to graduate studies as outlined in the university catalog. Students must concurrently submit applications to the University Admissions and Records Office and the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences. Admission to the Master of Science in Nutritional Science is dependent upon the recommendation by the Graduate Coordinator and the College of Health and Human Services Associate Dean.
Minimum Requirements for the M.S. in Nutritional Science with a Dietetic Internship Specialization:
- Completion of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics with an original ‘Verification Statement’ or ‘Intent to Complete’ from the Didactic Program Director
- GPA: 3.0 overall on a 4.0 scale and 3.0 for the last 60 units
- GRE: Complete verbal and quantitative sections with a minimum score of 4 or higher on the Analytical Writing section of the GRE taken within the past 5 years. The GRE is required for acceptance into the M.S. in Nutritional Science program.
- A passing score on the test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if the applicant's native language is not English and preparatory education was principally in a language other than English.
Additional Admission Criteria for Students Choosing the Dietetic Internship Specialization
- Completion of the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) application: https://portal.dicas.org. For questions, email DICASinfo@dicas.org
- Completion of registration and internship program ranking on D&D Digital Online Dietetics Internship Matching Service for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: https://www.dnddigital.com/ada/index.php. For questions, email email@example.com or call (515) 292-0490.
- Application to CSULB via http://www.csumentor.edu
- Submission of the following to the Graduate Coordinator in the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences:
- A copy of the completed application submitted to the CSULB Office of Enrollment Services.
- Three letters of recommendation with at least two from instructors who have direct knowledge of the applicant's scholastic ability and professional qualifications.
- An official copy of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last 5 years.
- Additional application materials to IPND Director by February 15th which includes:
Interview with IPND Director and review committee.
Note: Please see “Deadlines” for more details.
- The "Letter of Intent" (Before December 1st is best but accepted until February 15th)
- The “GPA Sheet”
- The “Work Experience Sheet”
- Check for $45 made payable to CSULB (non-refundable)
GPA: 3.0 overall and for last 60 units
GRE: 4 or higher on Analytical Writing and complete Verbal and Quantitative sections
Course Completion: "Verification Statement" or "Intent to Complete" from Didactic Program in Dietetics
Applications: DICAS and the 3 different application steps to CSULB, which are 1) the M.S. program, 2) the University, and 3) the DI .