Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
University Template Project Secondary Banner Example
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font
 

Classical Music is Here to Stay

by Roz Hertz

Classical music has been around for a long, long time. A recent article in the L.A. Times states that: “In any given month, an extraordinary 30 percent of the U.S. population listens to classical music on some device. That translates to 100 million people in our country alone. There are also millions more who don’t know what they’re missing.” With that being the case, the challenge is how to reach the other 70 percent. Perhaps they don’t know how to listen to classical music, or maybe they have never been exposed to it.
Our instructor, Patricia Dobiesz, returns to repeat her innovative ways to reach these people. In her Music Appreciation class, she will work to assist her students with learning about and listening to classical music. Patricia will include historical information relating to the musical eras (baroque, for example) and biographical information on the composer she has chosen to represent that era. During each of the seven classes, she will select
Patricia Dobiesz
one or two musical pieces along with their composers and share, in detail, the stylistic components of the composition. The class will listen to the entirety of each piece and will come to understand and thus appreciate this musical form. Our instructor has a bachelor’s degree in piano performance and a master of arts in musicology. She is a graduate of CSULB and taught here before working at the Orange County High School of the Arts, where she taught and was an administrator for 12 years. Patricia is now retired, but continues to teach piano privately.
You don’t have to give up listening to jazz, rock and roll, country music, or any other genre of music; you’ll just be adding to your repertoire. Experience something new, or just participate. Either way, you will be glad you came.

Almost Naked Eye Astronomy

by Rick Adams

How did human beings discover a reason to their physical place in the universe?
Have you ever looked up at the night sky and wondered - What is it that I am not aware of? Where are we in the universe? What information about the universe, and our place in it, can we see with our naked eyes? How special is our human frame of reference? Instructor Patrick Kenealy explains that Astronomy was the first science, and is the most stable part of our environment. People were shocked when they first observed changes such as meteors.
In examining the universe, discussions will revolve around: How does one “think physically?” Thinking physically means asking questions about what happens in the world and accepting explanations and the evidence for them only in terms of other physical events that you know are possible.
Why do you believe what you do about the natural world? Evidence is vitally and crucially important in deciding why we believe what we believe, why we see the world in the ways we do, and why we explain it in the ways we do. It is OK to make a reasoned mistake? Making reasoned mistakes is, in fact, one of the more efficient ways to learn.
Patrick F. Kenealy, is an Emeritus Professor of Physics and Science Education at CSULB. His education includes a B.S in Physics from Loyola University in Chicago, and a Ph.D. in Physics from University of Notre Dame. After 27 years of teaching, he decided that a portion of his curriculum would appeal to a number of OLLI students.
There is no need for a telescope to understand what the ancients observed and recorded. Join the class and look up at the sky. You will be informed and surprised.