Research on Ethics
The Ukleja Center for Ethical Leadership seeks to be a contributor to research on ethical leadership, both in the academic and practitioner arenas. We place priority on research areas that are aligned with the capabilities and interests of CSULB faculty.
In 2014, the Ukleja Center began offering annual grants to support faculty ethics research and contributions to the body of knowledge in disciplinary and interdisciplinary ethics. CSULB faculty members are invited to apply here for ethics research stipends each fall. Current ethics research topics include:
- A Meta-Analysis of Character Education Programs (Dr. William Jeynes)
- Trafficking in Elephant Ivory: The Ethics of Consumer Demand and Social Marketing Interventions (Dr. Terrence Witkowski)
- Ethical Consideration about Sexual Expression in Nursing Homes (Dr. Maria Claver)
- Graduate Nursing Students' Knowledge and Perceptions of Advance Care Planning: An Ethical Responsibility (Dr. Savitri Singh-Carlson)
- Women Founders of Public Relations Firms: Ethical Dilemmas and Proposed Solutions (Dr. Emma Daugherty)
- Speech-Language Pathology's Clinical Decision Making in the State of California: Ethical Considerations (Dr. Lei Sun)
In 2012, the center initiated a university-wide survey to learn how ethics is being taught across the CSULB campus. A White Paper on Ethics Training at CSULB summarized the survey's findings. As a result of the survey, the center developed an online teaching tool, Designs 4 Teaching Ethics, to help faculty deepen students' learning about ethics. All CSULB faculty are invited to participate through Beachboard.
Each fall, faculty are invited to attend a roundtable to discuss ways to enhance the teaching of ethics at CSULB. The 2015 Faculty Ethics Roundtable focused on providing tools to support faculty ethics research, including an opportunity to create research teams to apply for specific grants. Here are some resources that were shared:
- Faculty Ethics Roundtable Agenda
- ORSP Support for Research Grants
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
- Tips for Successful Internal Grant Proposals
- Tips for Successful External Grant Proposals
- Institutional Environment Summary
- Faculty Ethics Roundtable Summary
For more information about any of the center's research initiatives, please contact Dr. Brenda Freshman, Research Director.