Governor Earl Warren signed the enabling act authorizing the building of a new college as a result of a 1947 survey, conducted by the State Board of Education and Regents of the University of California. Dr. P. Victor Peterson was named president of the new college.
Los Angeles-Orange County State College was opened with 169 enrolled students and thirteen full-time faculty in a converted apartment building at 5401 E. Anaheim Street. Classes were only offered to junior and senior classmen consisting mostly of women and veterans. The college only offered 29 classes with emphasis on Teacher Education, Business Education, and the Liberal Arts.
The City of Long Beach, by vote of the people, authorized the City Council to purchase a 320 acre tract of land. It was deeded to the State to be the future home of the new college. It was decided the college would be renamed to Long Beach State College (LBSC) upon donation of the new site by the people of Long Beach.
The Alumni Association was founded to sponsor and coordinate activities of interest to the graduates of the college. Eugene Amsberry served as the first president.
Eleven candidates were the first to receive their Master of Arts degree from LBSC.
LBSC began offering lower division classes, and admitted the first class of freshman and sophomore students. The freshman class consisted of 114 students.
January 1, 1955 marked the end of LBSC's infant stages because the first permanent buildings were occupied after two years of the construction in progress.
LBSC was voted into the California Collegiate Athletic Association. Tennis, basketball, track and golf entered the conference immediately.
The 34 out of the 114 first freshman class that had enrolled four years before graduated from LBSC. (photo 4)
Fall semester of 1957, the very first "Frosh Day" was attempted by the Associated Students to produce an orientation program for new incoming students. Over 225 freshmen attended the day-long event. This was the opportunity for new students to get familiar and ask questions regarding academic standards, campus activities, and student government. (photo 5)
The first dormitories were complete by September of 1958 to be used the following year (1959-1960) by students, changing the campus from only being a "commuter campus" to a resident college.