Governor Earl Warren signed the enabling act authorizing the building of a new college as a result of a 1947 survey, conducted by the State Board of Education and Regents of the University of California. Dr. P. Victor Peterson was named president of the new college.
Los Angeles-Orange County State College was opened with 169 enrolled students and thirteen full-time faculty in a converted apartment building at 5401 E. Anaheim Street. Classes were only offered to junior and senior classmen consisting mostly of women and veterans. The college only offered 29 classes with emphasis on Teacher Education, Business Education, and the Liberal Arts.
The first organization of the Daily 49er, made its debut in the first semester by posting on bulletin boards. November 11, it made its initial appearance on the stands in mimeographed form. This college newspaper was intended to voice and represent the entire college, which still remains to do so today.
For the first spring semester, enrollment reached over 600 students.
The birth of extended-day classes.
The first "49er" Day was sponsored by the Women Students Organized for Service (WSOS) and began a new successful tradition.
The City of Long Beach, by vote of the people, authorized the City Council to purchase a 320 acre tract of land. It was deeded to the State to be the future home of the new college.
It was decided to the college would be renamed to Long Beach State College (LBSC) upon donation of the new site by the people of Long Beach.
The first graduating class consisted of 31 students.
First Prospector yearbook was published.